• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maze Hill to Herne Hill sorting sidings

Status
Not open for further replies.

contrex

On July 4 1958, a 4-EPB unit passed a signal at danger and ran head-on into a steam locomotive at Maze Hill. The loco, Wainright 'C' class (BR no. 31461), had run round a rake of empty coaching stock which it was going to take to Herne Hill sorting sidings departing (I think?) in the Down direction. The loco rode up over the underframe of the leading coach of the EMU and demolished the cab and brake compartment, and penetrated the passenger saloon. Amazingly, the motorman was hardly hurt and was found sitting on the bogie frame. What I have been wondering is the route the empty stock train was going to take. I wonder if it was Slade Green, Bexleyheath, Lewisham, Nunhead, Denmark Hill, Cambria Spur to north of Loughborough Junction, where (maybe) it halted and another loco took the carriages into the sidings?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I wonder what your source is?

I've skimmed the accident report
https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventsummary.php?eventID=993
which summarises:
"The 9.41 a.m. 4-coach electric passenger train from Gravesend Central to Charing Cross ran past the Up home signal at danger and collided head-on with a 9-coach empty steam passenger stock train which was being shunted slowly from the Up sidings across the Up line towards the Down line. The accident occurred as the empty train was entering the crossover leading from the Up to the Down line."

The loco had arrived from the Charlton direction and there was no run-round facility in the Up sidings. I imagine that the stock would have been run round on the Down side (there was a loop back then) and then run via London Br and Metropolitan Jn to Ludgate Hill, which was regularly used by ECS workings between the SEC and LCD lines (eg Cannon St and Stewarts Lane)
The report doesn't read as if the ECS was in the process of departing towards Slade Green, but if it took the route you suggest I'd be fairly certain it would have still gone to Ludgate Hill to run round (or possibly for a turnover engine).

Taunton

Established Member
Was the Nunhead line restored 6 months after the flyover was demolished in the Lewisham accident?

But anyway, paragraph 13 of the report gives the intended loco movements, which after an amount of shunting and running round was indeed to depart towards London Bridge, and presumably the Ludgate Hill arrangement described above.

contrex

Was the Nunhead line restored 6 months after the flyover was demolished in the Lewisham accident?

Restored after 6 weeks. The accident was on 4th December, 1957. The trestle bridge (which is still there) was tested on the 12th of January 1958 by simultaneously running two N class steam locos across it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.