• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McDonalds to ditch their traditional loyalty cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I was a little disappointed the other day when I learned that come the end of this month, McDonalds are ditching their popular loyalty card stickers on their hot drinks.

Apparently, McD's are switching across to digital apps to collect loyalty 'points' which I find odd.

As I am out & about quite regularly, I visit McD's to savour their warm drinks (I rarely eat the food). I have grown accustomed to religiously collecting the little stickers on the cardboard coupons for many years - I will miss this process greatly as it becomes quite addictive collecting the stickers and filling your wallet with them.

Does anyone know the rational as to why McDonalds are scrapping the traditional coupons? I suspect it may be Covid linked (going contactless) or to clamp down on the e-bay scammers who sell sheets of stickers.

It is a little abrupt for the older folks (like my dad) who don't own an internet based phone - its almost like McD's have just focused their new initiative on the younger generation who own a trendy mobile phone with app facilities.

CJ

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
its almost like McD's have just focused their new initiative on the younger generation who own a trendy mobile phone with app facilities
Perhaps I'm missing a trick but isn't that the majority of their customer base?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I was a little disappointed the other day when I learned that come the end of this month, McDonalds are ditching their popular loyalty card stickers on their hot drinks.

Apparently, McD's are switching across to digital apps to collect loyalty 'points' which I find odd.

As I am out & about quite regularly, I visit McD's to savour their warm drinks (I rarely eat the food). I have grown accustomed to religiously collecting the little stickers on the cardboard coupons for many years - I will miss this process greatly as it becomes quite addictive collecting the stickers and filling your wallet with them.

Does anyone know the rational as to why McDonalds are scrapping the traditional coupons? I suspect it may be Covid linked (going contactless) or to clamp down on the e-bay scammers who sell sheets of stickers.

It is a little abrupt for the older folks (like my dad) who don't own an internet based phone - its almost like McD's have just focused their new initiative on the younger generation who own a trendy mobile phone with app facilities.

CJ
Are they really going App only? I have a Costa plastic loyalty card that works without an App, I’d have thought McDonald could do that too?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
At a complete guess, some "consultant" has told them they can score some cheap green brownie points by making a show of cutting down on plastic waste by getting rid of the stickers... added bonus, the (still very wasteful and un-green) coffee cups will be cheaper to produce without the stickers and perforated card section. It does also prevent the Ebay stickers business, so they can kill three birds with one stone (which they can then make into McNuggets).

Are they really going App only? I have a Costa plastic loyalty card that works without an App, I’d have thought McDonald could do that too?
An app uses less plastic, and (cynic hat on) gives them access to valuable data from their customers which they can sell on.

XAM2175

Established Member
I'd suggest that the primary reason is that it simply saves them money by not needing to produce the coupons. Restricting resale and expanding the data take from app users round out the trifecta. Quick-and-easy greenwash on top is just money for napkins old rope :p

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Sounds like an excuse to buy a hot drink somewhere decent then ;)

I'd suggest that the primary reason is that it simply saves them money by not needing to produce the coupons. Restricting resale and expanding the data take from app users round out the trifecta. Quick-and-easy greenwash on top is just money for napkins old rope :p

This is the kind of cynicism/accuracy i enjoy. Spot on!

SteveM70

Established Member
the (still very wasteful and un-green) coffee cups will be cheaper to produce without the stickers and perforated card section

This

They get through gazillions of cups a year, and they’ll save a fraction of a penny on each of them. It’ll put millions on the bottom line

roversfan2001

Established Member
It's not particularly abrupt, it was meant to change at the end of March but they extended it by 3 months.

The app loyalty scheme only requires 5 virtual stickers to claim a free drink, rather than the 6 for the cards.

I quite like collecting the stickers but things move with the times, I note that their Monopoly game will be app-only this year too when they get round to doing it.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Greenwash - I am getting my coat - but the power used by the data centers to create and support the apps kick out a lot of carbon. Just not their carbon ;)

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Similar to the cash discussion in the other part of the forum (about mcdonalds making paying by cash harder than by card), I suspect the vast majority of people will prefer the digital alternative. Certainly I'm not the only person who gets incredibly frustrated at having to carry around a physical card / bit of paper with me in order to use a loyalty card / voucher. Just let me have it on my phone and be done with it.

skyhigh

Established Member
It's not particularly abrupt, it was meant to change at the end of March but they extended it by 3 months.

The app loyalty scheme only requires 5 virtual stickers to claim a free drink, rather than the 6 for the cards.

I quite like collecting the stickers but things move with the times, I note that their Monopoly game will be app-only this year too when they get round to doing it.
Exactly, they've been planning (and advertising the change) for months now. As long as you have the app on your phone, you can order and get your 'stamp' with the app, with the touchscreen kiosk and over the counter. It's a positive change for me, I was always losing the little cards!

I would suspect the main reason they're stopping is the millions of fake stickers available online.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Probably because I avoid McDonald's wherever possible - awful company, and most of their food just doesn't appeal to me - so collecting the loyalty stickers the few times I do go there isn't really a priority...

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Not just McDonalds.

Morrisons supermarket have also recently ditched their traditional loyalty cards. It's an app now. Tough luck if you were partway through accumulating sufficient points for one of their £5 reward vouchers.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Not just McDonalds.

Morrisons supermarket have also recently ditched their traditional loyalty cards. It's an app now. Tough luck if you were partway through accumulating sufficient points for one of their £5 reward vouchers.
Especially tough luck if you were 105 points away from a voucher like me. <( Morrisons More was by far the worst supermarket loyalty scheme anyway.
I would suspect the main reason they're stopping is the millions of fake stickers available online.
I'd agree with that. In fact, the drop from 6 to 5 stickers needed for a free drink would arguably back that up - they wouldn't make that change if it meant giving away more free drinks...

Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member
I'd agree with it. In fact, the drop from 6 to 5 stickers needed for a free drink would arguably back that up - they wouldn't make that change if it meant giving away more free drinks...
It wouldn't have occurred to me that people would want to forge coffee loyalty card stickers - but I guess if you can make 6 of them for less than the cost of a coffee - which you almost certainly can - then that's a net profit!

skyhigh

Established Member
It wouldn't have occurred to me that people would want to forge coffee loyalty card stickers - but I guess if you can make 6 of them for less than the cost of a coffee - which you almost certainly can - then that's a net profit!
Just had a quick look and you can get 1,440 stickers for £12 on eBay....

Class465pacer

Good decision in regards to the Monopoly game as well, won’t need to worry about losing any prizes. Other posters are correct with the majority of customer base using the app.

Darandio

Established Member
McDonald’s is a decent place for hot drinks; every bit as good as the likes of Starbucks and Costa etc.

I agree. Certainly 4-5 years ago criticism would be warranted but they really upped their game on that front.

scrapy

Established Member
The drop from 6 to 5 only affects the first free drink you get, as currently after your first free one you only have to collect 5 more each time as you get the first one on your free drink. You won't get that anymore, so the scheme is not much more generous.

py_megapixel

Established Member
The drop from 6 to 5 only affects the first free drink you get, as currently after your first free one you only have to collect 5 more each time as you get the first one on your free drink. You won't get that anymore, so the scheme is not much more generous.
I assumed that app would continue that by allowing you to claim a stamp for your free drink as well as the paid ones? Or does it not do that?

scrapy

Established Member
I assumed that app would continue that by allowing you to claim a stamp for your free drink as well as the paid ones? Or does it not do that?
No it only adds a stamp when you buy a drink. (Including those that are part of a meal).

74A

Some years ago I was travelling down Oxford Street on the top deck of a bus. Outside a street sweeper was stand by his trolley when a colleague walked over.

He opened the middle compartment and handed him a sleeve of 12 empty McDonald's cups. That's one little perk of the job no longer available !

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Some years ago I was travelling down Oxford Street on the top deck of a bus. Outside a street sweeper was stand by his trolley when a colleague walked over.

He opened the middle compartment and handed him a sleeve of 12 empty McDonald's cups. That's one little perk of the job no longer available !

Its same with 'skip ratting' - when there are disgarded McD's cups in bins with their stickers still attached. I've seen loads of people retrieve disgarded cups to check for stickers.

I must admit I walked the dog a few days ago and found a McD's cup left against a bench. I couldn't resist rolling it with my foot to see if the sticker was still attached, but it had been removed.

Old habits die hard.

CJ

baz962

Established Member

No difference regards the 5/6. If you only just started then it's 6 till the freebie. When you got the free coffee , it had a sticker on and that then meant you only needed to purchase 5.

SteveM70

Established Member
Not just McDonalds.

They tried to help customers with that by issuing some insanely good free points vouchers. I had about 1,700 points on my More card and when I did a shop about six weeks before the end date I got a “1,500 points when you spend £2.50 on wine” and a “1,500 points when you spend £2.50 on cleaning products”. I assumed that was their way of avoiding people being left high and dry

mikeg

Established Member
Lidl have the Lidl plus app...
I don't like being forced to become yet more reliant on proprietary software.
If plastic cards are such a problem why not go down the route of a printable loyalty card, that can also be viewed in an app for those who prefer it. There are some supermarkets who do this, Waitrose and Tesco? In particular but they also send you a plastic card. Maybe make the plastic card optional.
A bit like e tickets, heck, it's one of the few good ideas the railway has come up with thats good enough to be copied into the real world.

sprunt

I like the phrase "traditional loyalty cards". They're what, 15 years old as a widespread concept? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.