• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Buses - Renfrewshire & Inverclyde

DunsBus

Established Member
That is incorrect, but this is not a forum for discussing the finer details of such an incident.
Happy to be corrected.

However, for someone to wish ill-will on McGill's on the back of this incident is bang out of order.

The general bias against McGill's which seems to exist on this forum
It's the same through in the east as well. McGill's can do no right, Lothian and its sister companies can do no wrong - an attitude which stems from First days.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Happy to be corrected.

However, for someone to wish ill-will on McGill's on the back of this incident is bang out of order.

It's the same through in the east as well. McGill's can do no right, Lothian and its sister companies can do no wrong - an attitude which stems from First days.
Personally I think having a certain bias one way or another reflects the public feeling of an operator, not always but often.

May we speak here about McGills not being happy about the potential of franchising of local bus services in the SPT area.

The fact of the matter is that McGills, like every other private firm, benefits from public funds in some way or other. At the end of the day it’s not as if them claiming victim of theft via franchising is surprising; surely they would still be able to turn a profit even within the realms of franchising?

Bus operators have issued a robust early warning that they will take legal action over plans announced today by SPT to "move forward" with bus franchising in Greater Glasgow.

Following years of agitating by transport campaigners, Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT) has now said it will take a "dual approach" to change the way the bus network is organised in its catchment area.

Proposals will go before the board of the transport body on Friday with activists saying they will picket the meeting.
The SPT announcement was met with immediate hostility from the millionaire owners of McGill's Group, Sandy and James Easdale, who refer to franchising as "business confiscation" and "against natural justice".

Last edited by a moderator:

davido39

Having briefly worked for McGill's I can tell you that even their newer buses broke down very often. In fact, it is why I quit. I've worked with some independents and even their buses did not break down as much as McGill's buses.

This accident was only a matter of time before it happened.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I don't think it's very helpful to speculate about the cause of the accident. The people who know the actual cause are unlikely to be able to share it on a platform such as this, so all we can do is rely on forthcoming news reports.

I'd also caution against making any unfounded allegations about any company or individual without having specific evidence to back up your claim.

On the subject of sharing news, if you are linking to an external site, you must provide a relevant quote along with the link.

If I would have one suggestion towards management, fix running faults when they arise rather than when they develop into a bigger issue. Increases public perception as people see a well maintained bus, decreases driver apathy and prevents more serious issues that could develop from that fault.

I have noted that for the last 3 weeks to a month, 3347 looks to have had a bite taken out of it. Although I have not seen it in the last week so it might have been repaired, a bus running with the offside front top corner missing isn't a good look.

I am well aware that I have no experience in the field, but if it works for other operators then it can work for McGill's, surely?

voidwxrranty

If I would have one suggestion towards management, fix running faults when they arise rather than when they develop into a bigger issue. Increases public perception as people see a well maintained bus, decreases driver apathy and prevents more serious issues that could develop from that fault.

I have noted that for the last 3 weeks to a month, 3347 looks to have had a bite taken out of it. Although I have not seen it in the last week so it might have been repaired, a bus running with the offside front top corner missing isn't a good look.

I am well aware that I have no experience in the field, but if it works for other operators then it can work for McGill's, surely?
3347 has had that issue for nearing on 4 months now. It’s as if a drivers clipped a traffic light, and they have repaired it with gaffa tape.