• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

McGill's Buses - Renfrewshire & Inverclyde

Observer

As per the latest Notices and Proceedings, it looks like the tour has been dropped, see the very end of this PDF.
Application Withdrawn
PM1036390/33 LOCH LOMOND BUS SERVICES LTD,
99 EARNHILL ROAD, LARKFIELD INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, GREENOCK, PA16 0EQ

To: George Square, Glasgow
Via:
Name or No.: G1 Discover Glasgow
Service type: Limited Stop
Effective date: 01 July 2022
End date: 26 September 2022
Other details: Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Christmas

I've been on the 904 Sunday service and it has always been busy. It's a shame that they remove it completely every September. Perhaps a one bus working during the winter months between Largs and Johnstone, maybe using a minibus, could be worthwhile. It would still give people connections at Johnstone and could be 2 hourly. McGill's should capitalise on Stagecoach abandoning the Garnock Valley.

Scotrail88

Looks like some cancellations appearing
545H which is currently suspended but 60 & 547 both also cancelled.
I wonder if any more or further reductions are about to appear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stan Drews

Established Member
Looks like some cancellations appearing
545H which is currently suspended but 60 & 547 both also cancelled.
Wander if any more or further reductions about to appear.
All local bus service registrations are required to revert to their March 2020 position by 1st September, unless they have been varied/cancelled using the regular 70 day notice period, during the pandemic.
Therefore, if operators wish to continue running timetables that were introduced using the reduced notification periods (that have been permitted during the pandemic), they have to formally register them using the full notice period. For that to take place prior to 1st September, the most likely start dates will be Sun/Mon 28/29 Aug, and those registrations will be submitted to the Office of the Traffic Commissioner no later than this Sunday/Monday.
See above comment from the First Glasgow thread. I’d imagine this process will be occurring at McGill’s too.

Scotrail88

See above comment from the First Glasgow thread. I’d imagine this process will be occurring at McGill’s too.
I expect the same but the 60 cancellation is the surprise
547 was due to run longer into Sept so looks like additional cancellations

Stan Drews

Established Member
I expect the same but the 60 cancellation is the surprise
547 was due to run longer into Sept so looks like additional cancellations
The cancellations are usually processed first by the Traffic Area Office (TAO) staff - as there is no payment required, so I’d wait a few more working days, for the TAO plumber to work their magic, and get everything flushed through the pipe work!

kingston_toon

The 547 surely isn't going? Maybe it's worth running an open topper on, maybe not, but without it we're saying 2bph is enough from Greenock to Gourock Pierhead? That'll be the worst frequency on this link in my lifetime!

380gk

I see a lot of timetable changes are in for the end of August in McGills land. Does anyone know what they entail? Is it just trimming service frequencies back? Seen the 547 is due to be withdrawn.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I see a lot of timetable changes are in for the end of August in McGills land. Does anyone know what they entail? Is it just trimming service frequencies back? Seen the 547 is due to be withdrawn.
Make sure that you post your sources, please. Thanks :)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
You also need to post a relevant quote from any sources - see forum rules ;)

• If referring to an external source you should put the text in QUOTE tags, provide details of the source (a hyperlink, if possible) and make a relevant comment to promote discussion.

380gk

You also need to post a relevant quote from any sources - see forum rules ;)

Thanks! Noted for next time ;)

Stan Drews

Established Member
Three more Volvo 9700s have joined the fleet for Flixbus.

0613 - SJ22HBA
0614 - SJ22HBB - https://flic.kr/p/2nD4NiG
0615 - SJ22HBC

Tourismo 0637 - BV71HYL has gained a Saltire rear for the new Glasgow - Aberdeen service.

Front OS - https://flic.kr/p/2nD4Tmz
Rear NS - https://flic.kr/p/2nD4Tng
Front NS - https://flic.kr/p/2nD9Roq
Rear OS - https://flic.kr/p/2nD4TmK
The Saltire’d Tourismo is fleet number 0640.
0637 is the last of the six older Tourismo’s in Fly livery.

Services 17 and 60 are being combined to operate as one service as service 17 from the 29th of August

Changes to services 17 & 60​

Today Wed 10th Aug 2022

From Monday 29th August 2022 services 17 and 60 will be combined to form a new route 17 running from Foxbar (Heriot Avenue) to Queen Elizabeth University Hospital via the current 60 route to Paisley Cross, and then the current 17 route from Paisley Cross to QEUH.​

Buses will operate every 30 minutes on Monday to Saturday, and hourly on Sundays, providing a number of new and improved links.
  • Improved 30 minute frequency between Paisley and QEUH
  • New direct link between the Royal Alexandra and Queen Elizabeth University Hospitals
  • New direct links to the RAH from the Ralston and Cardonald areas
  • New hourly Sunday service between Paisley and QEUH
  • New hourly Sunday service operating via Morar Drive
Two early morning journeys from Johnstone Depot to QEUH via Paisley on Monday to Friday will continue to operate, but will now show service 17A.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Services 17 and 60 are being combined to operate as one service as service 17 from the 29th of August
This is quite smart to be fair and I'm surprised we haven't seen more route merging where possible to be quite honest. It'll be interesting to see how well it does because the 17 has really fell apart on the passenger front over the years. It's a shame that they never retried the old route through Partick etc but competing with First wouldn't end well to be honest on that corridor.

Stan Drews

Established Member
The bit where it says "New hourly Sunday service between Paisley and QEUH" is not new at all, as the 17 used to run on a Sunday pre pandemic.
It hasn’t had a Sunday service for a number of years, and certainly well before anyone had ever heard of covid!

sannox

This is quite smart to be fair and I'm surprised we haven't seen more route merging where possible to be quite honest. It'll be interesting to see how well it does because the 17 has really fell apart on the passenger front over the years. It's a shame that they never retried the old route through Partick etc but competing with First wouldn't end well to be honest on that corridor.
It's a smart idea to combine services but it was combined with the 7 previously and then broken for 'reliability purposes'. Same with the 36/38.

Also the 17 wasn't really competing with First though, it provided links from Cardonald/Paisley to the west end.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It's a smart idea to combine services but it was combined with the 7 previously and then broken for 'reliability purposes'. Same with the 36/38.

Also the 17 wasn't really competing with First though, it provided links from Cardonald/Paisley to the west end.
It offered different links beyond the Queen Elizabeth but from there to the city centre it mirrored the 77 so it was competing with First in solid territory for them

markymark2000

On Moderation
In the interests of completeness, I think it's worth noting here that McGills have bought First Bluebird and First Scotland East. Further discussion on the topic is happening on the First thread but I do feel like it needs putting on here given it's a McGills purchase and will be renamed McGills.

Message from McGills Enthusiast Group on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1455698127967375) from MD Ralph Roberts

1662487327817.png
We have some very exciting news to share.

The McGill's Team is expanding yet again with the First Scotland East businesses now joining the McGill's Bus Group.

The two businesses will be named McGill's Midland Bluebird and McGill's Eastern Scottish but will collectively operate as McGill's Scotland East.

Lots more details to follow so watch this space.