• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Media Coverage of COVID -19

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I see that that half-wit Hunt is talking about reimposing restrictions in the Autumn.

I won't be playing along this time.

Given that there's about 20 different noroviruses, wouldn't any such vaccine be like the flu vaccine - strain specific, making it overall less effective?

It was a throwaway comment. I'm not expecting a norovirus caccine anytime soon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kez19

Established Member
I see that that half-wit Hunt is talking about reimposing restrictions in the Autumn.

Lunatics have take over the Asylum springs to mind! (better way to describe the whole lot of them)

There've been some brilliant comments I think under the above article, such as the top ones here:

View attachment 99783

giggles, at least in one comment the BBC are getting called out, I have noticed comments similar even on sites like The Sun Daily Mail and Express - people are tired of it and it proves regardless, I doubt media will change course this is their big brother/baby

Last edited:

DustyBin

Established Member

The worrying thing is that this is the modus operandi. Start talking about it, leaks to the press, build up the hysteria and then bang we’re back in lockdown/under restrictions. I’m trying not to be pessimistic but I’ll be surprised if at least something isn’t (re)imposed before the end of the year, it feels as though the stage is being set. They can blame people and businesses for not following the guidance, they can talk about the “mistakes of last Christmas”, there are loads of ways they can “sell” it to the gullible public. It’s depressing the life out of me to be honest!

Eyersey468

Established Member
The worrying thing is that this is the modus operandi. Start talking about it, leaks to the press, build up the hysteria and then bang we’re back in lockdown/under restrictions. I’m trying not to be pessimistic but I’ll be surprised if at least something isn’t (re)imposed before the end of the year, it feels as though the stage is being set. They can blame people and businesses for not following the guidance, they can talk about the “mistakes of last Christmas”, there are loads of ways they can “sell” it to the gullible public. It’s depressing the life out of me to be honest!
I agree

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Indeed. Until the public becomes less gullible, the cycle will continue.

102 fan

Talking about Lockdowns in Autumn brings one question, and one question only.

Will the vaccine cease to be effective by the Autumn?

kez19

Established Member
Talking about Lockdowns in Autumn brings one question, and one question only.

Will the vaccine cease to be effective by the Autumn?

Or is that the reason behind the booster for Autumn? I read September for bringing it out

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’m thinking exactly the same thing. Have seen a lot more people wearing face coverings outside today which is more than I’ve ever seen before, even back in January, despite near 30 degree temperatures. It really is quite worrying.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
The amount of people that haven’t got the capacity to understand all the information that is being thrown at them is large.

I overheard a woman today saying “people who are doubled jabbed are catching it” and “kids are catching it, the said kids couldn’t catch it”.

You wonder why I don’t care what other people think...

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
There is an article on BBC trending at the moment (I won't link to it as I don't want to drive more hits on it) about a bereaved covid survivor questioning lockdown easing.

While I feel sorry for the chap
- his wife died in December, well before the vaccine roll out got in to swing.
- they were in their 70s, an age when people do regularly. Vaccine up take in the elderly is not far off 100%.
- we are not 'rushing' out of lockdown as he suggests, we are at the end of a very, very slow 5+ month process

When will the media stop these scare stories? When will they have trending articles about business owners or whoever saying they are pleased that restrictions are ending.
This might shock you, but some of the people appearing in these stories on the BBC and other channels have interesting backgrounds that don’t get reported… I’m not saying it’s anything sinister. It’s pure coincidence, I’m sure, that many of them have backgrounds in acting

kez19

Established Member
This might shock you, but some of the people appearing in these stories on the BBC and other channels have interesting backgrounds that don’t get reported… I’m not saying it’s anything sinister. It’s pure coincidence, I’m sure, that many of them have backgrounds in acting

I read on that, supposedly one was on Channel 4 - Naked Attraction, as the Mark Twain saying goes Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.'

I’ll ask this then, so why are the media doing this and if it is true that some are actors and not real people then why and what’s the reason can someone explain that one without throwing the so called it’s another conspiracy?

I be surprised that this is called out as some to be a conspiracy that’s correct but on the other can someone apply a logic as to reasons behind it?

Last edited:

philosopher

Established Member

Hunt is one of the more pro lockdown MPs out there. I remember last year he was critical of the government for their original strategy and for locking down too late. Plus he is a backbencher so does not have that much influence.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Fair play to the Health Secretary for confirming that yes, he's had Coronavirus after two jabs, but that the symptoms were mild. This is a positive (albeit realistic) message for the vaccination programme.

Hunt is one of the more pro lockdown MPs out there. I remember last year he was critical of the government for their original strategy and for locking down too late. Plus he is a backbencher so does not have that much influence.

He seemed to be a bit of an interim between Lansley and Hancock to my mind.

DustyBin

Established Member

It doesn’t shock me at all to be honest, I’ve alluded to the same thing myself but based only on my own suspicions and nothing more. The thing is, the news (as in BBC and Sky) have this incredible ability to find random members of the public to interview, who very eloquently and persuasively make the case for lockdowns and restrictions. They tend to be (seemingly) educated, often attractive, well spoken people who are just so easy to listen to. When they do occasionally interview a random member of the public with an opposing view however, they generally don’t seem to know what’s happening, can’t talk properly and are halfway through a Greggs pasty. Now call me cynical, paranoid even, but…

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, just because someone has more of a media background doesn't mean that their views aren't heart felt. It's in the editorial policy as to what the broadcaster chooses to highlight that's the potential issue.

Class 33

Established Member
On tomorrow’s Andrew Marr and hence setting tomorrow’s agenda, is the Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick, shadow health Secretary Jonathan Ashworth, and Professor Ian Ferguson

Ashworth will be moaning again about the restrictions being scrapped. Can guarantee he'll say "What the government is doing is absolutely wreckless.". Not that I'll be watching to find out for myself if he says that. What the government are doing in scrapping these restrictions is absolutely NOT absolutely wreckless. It's long overdue these restrictions are scrapped. We can't keep these damaging restrictions forever! Some of these people do appear to want to keep these restrictions forever!!

Additionally I'm getting fed up of the press and media keep going on about "As cases continue to rise" and "As cases surge". The peak of cases is predicted to be mid August. Hopefully it will be a bit sooner than that. And then they can no longer keep banging on about "As cases continue to rise" and "As cases surge"!!!

ExRes

Established Member
The amount of people that haven’t got the capacity to understand all the information that is being thrown at them is large.

Don't you mean the amount of people who have contradictory and biased information being thrown at them from all corners of the media and by hordes of self important internet 'experts' who call them idiots if they dare to have a different opinion?

One thing that's certainly kept me amused has been the amount of people using 'facts' they've picked up from Wikipedia, Daily Mail and Daily Express, conveniently forgetting everything they've said about those wonderful 'news' outlets in the past

DustyBin

Established Member
There’s a good article by Sir Graham Brady in the Mail On Sunday regarding the real reason for the mask mandate:

On August 23, 1973, an attempted bank raid at Stockholm’s Norrmalmstorg Square went badly wrong.

Four hostages were taken and the drama ended only five days later when tear gas forced the robbers to surrender.

The hold-up would doubtless have been forgotten but for the odd reaction of the hostages, who formed a close bond with their jailers.

And it was the events of those few days that gave their name to something now commonly described as Stockholm Syndrome.

This phenomenon has often been identified in the half-century since Norrmalmstorg Square.

But it has been remarkable to see it exhibited by whole swathes of the British public over the past year.

After 16 months of being told by the state when we could leave our homes, whether we could see our families, with whom we were allowed to have sex, or what kinds of sports we were permitted to play, many of us are eager to regain the human dignity that comes with the exercise of our own free will.

Others react differently.

When told that their double vaccination gives them substantial protection from serious illness, people worry that the jabs might work today, but what about next month or next year?

What if a new variant comes along that can evade the vaccines altogether?

For many months the evidence has shown that the most likely places to catch Covid are care homes, hospitals and private homes, but opinion polls show a widespread fantasy that the real dangers are from international travel, pubs and restaurants.

The Government’s least rational restrictions have played up to these unfounded prejudices, of course.

The closure of Covid-secure restaurants last autumn came shortly after the Sage advisers published advice that doing so would be unlikely to make much difference.

Similarly, making people jump through endless hoops and take multiple expensive tests if they want to fly to a safe and sunny country for a week or two by the sea must make those who don’t study the evidence believe that going to Majorca is a pretty risky business.

The trouble with Stockholm Syndrome is that the greater the control to which people are subjected, the greater the dependence people develop.

The line between coercion and care becomes blurred, the hostage starts to see the man with the AK-47 who holds him in a cell not as a jailer but as a protector.

For 16 months, the British population has been subject not just to minute control but to a constantly changing menu of restrictions.

First, you were banned from sitting on a park bench but could walk through a park. Then you could sit with a friend but only at opposite ends of the bench. Next you could talk to a friend outdoors – but not in a private garden.

For months we could leave our homes for only one form of exercise, for shopping or for work. Then we were told it was safer to be outside all the time.

We could walk right across a golf course with a friend – so long as no funny business like playing golf was involved.

When I asked a Health Minister in the Commons how she could justify banning healthy activities such as golf, tennis or bowls, she actually replied that while those activities were indeed safe, if we ‘let people do those things, they might think they can do other things too’.

How far a proud nation has allowed itself to fall!

So, as we approach tomorrow’s partial lifting of restrictions, some of us eagerly anticipate being allowed to have a family meal again in our own homes and will do so.

Yet others are anxious and are asking for restrictions to go on for just a little bit longer.

We see this divide most clearly in the near hysteria about facemasks. Almost nobody is asking the serious questions about whether facemasks are actually effective in stopping the spread of Covid.

Until very recently, both the World Health Organisation and the public health authorities in this country were saying there was very little evidence in favour of wearing them.

The experience of different US states is instructive. California covered up and Florida didn’t, but it was the Sunshine State that emerged in better shape from the pandemic.

We might also look at what has happened here. Masks seem to have been very helpful in eliminating flu, but Covid has spread regardless.

Many politicians and advisers will admit privately that the policy change compelling people to wear masks was not really about the spread of infection at all but about the psychological effect that they would have.

That real purpose is social control – to provide a constant reminder to maintain distance from other people.

To maintain a state of anxiety that leaves people more likely to comply with the restrictions that might otherwise be resisted or forgotten.

This is exactly the same approach that the Government’s behavioural experts on the sinister-sounding advisory group known as SPI-B – the Independent Scientific Pandemic Insights Group on Behaviours – has admitted using.

‘The perceived level of personal threat needs to be increased among those who are complacent, using hard-hitting emotional messaging,’ said the SPI-B paper of March 22, 2020.

This will be one of the most important questions when the inquiry into the handling of the pandemic begins: just how far it can ever be right for the state to use fear to manipulate the population of a free democratic country?

Once we understand the extent to which our minds have been messed with, we can begin to understand the reluctance felt by so many people to get on with living their lives.

The person next to you on the bus is no longer a fellow human being but a filthy vector of transmission.

Hugging your grandchildren has been turned in the minds of many into a game of Russian roulette.

Surely, after 16 months of behavioural science being used to heighten fear and anxiety, the Government should turn the dial the other way.

Why not tell people that while a nasty new variant remains a statistical possibility, the vaccine seems pretty effective against all those that have appeared so far and is likely to remain so in the future?

Why not explain to people that the usual evolution of viruses is to become easier to spread but less likely to kill?

Most important of all, it is high time that the Department of Health started to publish figures separating out the numbers of hospital admissions where the patient really had been admitted because they were ill with the virus from those brought in for other conditions but who subsequently tested positive for Covid – a greater number.

Sajid Javid, the new Health Secretary, made a great start when he wrote in this newspaper of the massive damage that has been done to people’s health and life chances by repeated lockdowns.

He is right that we need to learn to live with Covid, banking the success of the vaccines.

But the damage to schools, businesses and family holidays will continue until the threat of being ‘pinged’ and self-isolation is completely ended.

How far tomorrow looks like a real Freedom Day will be up to all of us and our determination to return to normal life. It is time for us all now to start using our own judgment – but to get out there and start living as we did before.

Let us take responsibility for our own appetite for risk, for our own lives, once again. Government should treat us all as adults.

This has been blindingly obvious (to me and others on here) for a long time now so it’s good to see somebody like Sir Graham Brady call it out publicly. The 1922 Committee looks like being the nearest thing we have to an opposition at times.

kristiang85

Established Member
There’s a good article by Sir Graham Brady in the Mail On Sunday regarding the real reason for the mask mandate:

This has been blindingly obvious (to me and others on here) for a long time now so it’s good to see somebody like Sir Graham Brady call it out publicly. The 1922 Committee looks like being the nearest thing we have to an opposition at times.

Yes I was just about to post this - it's a great article. But it seems even Graham Brady is pretty toothless, especially with labour being so compliant.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Don't you mean the amount of people who have contradictory and biased information being thrown at them from all corners of the media and by hordes of self important internet 'experts' who call them idiots if they dare to have a different opinion?

One thing that's certainly kept me amused has been the amount of people using 'facts' they've picked up from Wikipedia, Daily Mail and Daily Express, conveniently forgetting everything they've said about those wonderful 'news' outlets in the past
That is also very true but the ability to see this is a skill largely lacking

ExRes

Established Member
That is also very true but the ability to see this is a skill largely lacking

Agreed, although that is down to the disappearance of anything resembling being allowed to have a personal opinion, if you don't agree with the 'mainstream' you're vilified and threatened, why would anybody want to advertise the fact they disagree with the so called 'liberals' who are nothing but despots intent solely on having their opinion imposed on everyone? In my opinion Covid has made that abundantly clear

quantinghome

Established Member
Additionally I'm getting fed up of the press and media keep going on about "As cases continue to rise" and "As cases surge". The peak of cases is predicted to be mid August. Hopefully it will be a bit sooner than that. And then they can no longer keep banging on about "As cases continue to rise" and "As cases surge"!!!
I guess it's newsworthy, given that hospitalisation and fatality rates are tracking cases, albeit at much lower levels than back in January. It's also newsworthy given the government doesn't intend to do anything about it, but let it run its course and see what happens. None of us can really predict the outcome of this - it could turn out OK; it could turn out to be a very big problem indeed. Ultimately how comfortable we are with this will depend on how we individually judge risk and our view on taking a precautionary approach.

As to when the peak of cases will happen, who knows? Cases have been increasing exponentially for about two months, doubling about every two weeks, with no indication of the curve bending:

1626611571312.png
Cases in the UK | Coronavirus in the UK (data.gov.uk)

Obviously it's going to peak at some point as the virus runs out of people left to infect, but no one knows when this will happen, mostly because it will depend on how people behave from tomorrow.

brad465

Established Member
So here's this weekends "get a doom-monger scientist out to try and make media headlines" story, and it's from none other than should be disgraced Professor Pantsdown:

It is going to be a "difficult summer" with Covid cases in the UK possibly reaching 200,000 a day, the scientist whose modelling led to the first nationwide restrictions has suggested.
Prof Neil Ferguson said there could be as many as 2,000 daily hospital admissions per day, which would cause "major disruption" to the NHS.
England and Scotland are set to ease restrictions from Monday.
The UK recorded more than 50,000 cases on both Friday and Saturday.
The last time case numbers were that high was in mid-January.
Prof Ferguson, who sits on the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show it was "almost certain" that the UK would reach 100,000 cases and 1,000 hospital admissions per day as almost all legal restrictions on social contact end in England and school holidays begin.
He said maintaining that level could be described as "success".

"The real question is do we get to double that, or even higher?" he said, though adding that it was "much less certain" to predict.
He said a further 500,000 people could get long Covid.
Prof Ferguson said the "best projections" were that the peak of this wave could occur between August and mid-September, and it would take around three weeks to know the impact of relaxing restrictions.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has described England's approach to easing lockdown as "cautious but irreversible".
Asked whether restrictions could be reintroduced, he said there may be "a need to slow the spread to some extent" if hospital admissions were to reach 2,000 or 3,000 per day.
"It's going to be a difficult summer for many reasons... I think case numbers are likely to be declining at least by late September, even in the the worst-case scenario," he said.
"Going into the the winter, I think we will have quite quite a high degree of immunity against Covid, the real concerns are a resurgence of influenza, because we haven't had any influenza for 18 months."
He added that flu "could be, frankly, almost as damaging both for health and the health system, by December or January, as Covid has been this year".

102 fan

So here's this weekends "get a doom-monger scientist out to try and make media headlines" story, and it's from none other than should be disgraced Professor Pantsdown:

Only a few words in and we have our old friends 'could' and 'possibly'. Article can be safely ignored.

kez19

Established Member

At the BBC we asked someone who broke the rules for more of the same story, I give up I truly do!

Just to add, he says a difficult summer for who? Himself or us? Answers on a postcard

Can I ask when the media are going to change the record and give us the positive side of things?, I know wishful thinking but it’s draining.

Last edited:

WelshBluebird

Established Member

Great unbiased source!!
It's starting to sound like the bloody Sandy Hook crazies who think all that was "ACTORS!!!!" too.

Status
Not open for further replies.