• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Media Coverage of COVID -19

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB

Sure, the Daily Mail might report some things right, but they are massive hypocrites in the way they report, and often ridiculously hysterical. They have a right-wing bias, and their ownership is particularly dodgy. They are far from balanced.
It’s a shame so many people are comfortable reading from a bias, misleading and hypocritical publication.

P.s. The Mail may no longer have the lovely Paul Dacre as it’s editor, but he is still Editor-in-Chief of DMG media, which owns the DM, Mail on Sunday, Metro and the clickbait Mailonline website.

Generally I agree with you, but nevertheless they (and the Telegraph) have been the only papers attempting to provide anything in the way of balanced coverage: the centrist and left-leaning media are all fully signed up to Project Fear and uncritically repeat the predictions of doom.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alex397

Established Member
Generally I agree with you, but nevertheless they (and the Telegraph) have been the only papers attempting to provide anything in the way of balanced coverage: the centrist and left-leaning media are all fully signed up to Project Fear and uncritically repeat the predictions of doom.
My family do buy the Saturday edition (and treat it like the bible) so when I see them, I do occasionally have a flick through to see how they are reporting on certain things.
Surprisingly they can be quite sensible and agreeable in some reports, and it is fascinating to see them being critical of the Tories! Although I suspect they tone it down a bit for the Saturday edition, as they realise many people buy it just for the ‘Weekend’ supplement - there does seem a slight contrast to the weekday edition.

But I will always be sceptical with anything they write - their main objective is to cause outrage and to sell papers, not quality journalism (most, if not all, papers are like this, but the Mail seems particularly questionable). The way they have reported on certain things has been incredibly misleading.

Going back to topic, it is good to have a balanced view in the media, which I’d say is certainly lacking especially with Covid. It is good to hear you think the Mail and Telegraph have done so - hopefully more media outlets can do so. The only publication I find balanced at all is Private Eye, and especially the Covid coverage by Dr Phil Hammond - one of the few writers who appears balanced in the reporting of Covid.

adc82140

Established Member
I'm going to quote verbatim something I wrote on Facebook yesterday

"Can we all have a Christmas whip round and buy every BBC and Sky journalist a thesaurus. Why is everything a 'grim milestone'. Use some imagination"

This was a slightly targeted post. I was at school with the current deputy political editor at Sky News. He happens to be a Facebook friend. Hopefully he will see it. It probably won't make any difference, but hopefully will give food for thought.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm going to quote verbatim something I wrote on Facebook yesterday

"Can we all have a Christmas whip round and buy every BBC and Sky journalist a thesaurus. Why is everything a 'grim milestone'. Use some imagination"

This was a slightly targeted post. I was at school with the current deputy political editor at Sky News. He happens to be a Facebook friend. Hopefully he will see it. It probably won't make any difference, but hopefully will give food for thought.

Yes, I could imagine "Drop the Dead Donkey" would have had a field day with the current situation.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
The BBC are reporting the latest anti-lockdown protests in London (today). Ten minutes ago they stated 60 people had been arrested; at the time of posting this comment, that had risen to 150 arrested

If anyone is interested, there is some footage on YouTube which gives some idea of the numbers who took part.
I would recommend those concerned about our civil liberties watch a couple of segments:

at around 37 minutes in, a polite conversation between a policeman and someone of a similar age and disposition to me, with the facade of Kings Cross station looming behind. The man says he’s always been law-abiding and never felt the need to attend a protest before. (His comments echo those of some people on this forum). As the cameraman moves around, this is followed by police talking to an older gentleman with a placard, who is threatened with arrest despite saying his intention is ‘merely to inform people’ (and someone intervenes, suggesting ‘this is not East Germany!’)

at 2h42m, a young man in sunglasses is surrounded by at least 4 police officers (two of whom are maskless). Members of the public make some good comments, including ‘obeying orders is no excuse’ from a grey-haired gent in glasses (2h45m)

At about 3h07m, a young man is handcuffed (amid much swearing) and there are shouts of ‘shame on you’ directed at police from bystanders

We are going to see many more of these protests, I think. Today’s patronising guidance on how to conduct a Christmas gathering is insulting and getting a lot of people’s backs up.
Despite what the media would have you believe about cranks and conspiracy theorists, these kind of protests are increasingly attended by people in fear. Not of the virus, but more the loss of their livelihoods and of their civil liberties, and disgust at the state’s interference in every detail of their daily lives

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I notice that the BBC are to frit to allow comments on the article regarding the protests.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ah okay.

To be fair they don't allow comments on many articles, i'm not sure there is much that can be read into it.

I see a few articles where comments are not allowed and think "mmm".

But then I see the comments where they are allowed and think maybe nevermind.

brad465

Established Member
Ah okay.

To be fair they don't allow comments on many articles, i'm not sure there is much that can be read into it.

I see a few articles where comments are not allowed and think "mmm".

But then I see the comments where they are allowed and think maybe nevermind.
As a regular commenter on articles that do open, my thinking is their strict house rules would make allowing comments on certain subjects either inappropriate or extremely difficult to moderate (they do get a lot of nutters). In particular there is a rule on their site against defamatory/libellous comments (as well as offensive/abusive ones); if you're allowing people to comment on their site under a protest article in which there have been arrests, by default almost every comment would be a violation.

As for the protests themselves the group "Save our rights UK" seems to be the organiser, which makes a change from conspiracy theorists (albeit they probably still hinge onto it).

Bantamzen

Established Member
The BBC are reporting the latest anti-lockdown protests in London (today). Ten minutes ago they stated 60 people had been arrested; at the time of posting this comment, that had risen to 150 arrested

If anyone is interested, there is some footage on YouTube which gives some idea of the numbers who took part.
I would recommend those concerned about our civil liberties watch a couple of segments:

at around 37 minutes in, a polite conversation between a policeman and someone of a similar age and disposition to me, with the facade of Kings Cross station looming behind. The man says he’s always been law-abiding and never felt the need to attend a protest before. (His comments echo those of some people on this forum). As the cameraman moves around, this is followed by police talking to an older gentleman with a placard, who is threatened with arrest despite saying his intention is ‘merely to inform people’ (and someone intervenes, suggesting ‘this is not East Germany!’)

at 2h42m, a young man in sunglasses is surrounded by at least 4 police officers (two of whom are maskless). Members of the public make some good comments, including ‘obeying orders is no excuse’ from a grey-haired gent in glasses (2h45m)

At about 3h07m, a young man is handcuffed (amid much swearing) and there are shouts of ‘shame on you’ directed at police from bystanders

We are going to see many more of these protests, I think. Today’s patronising guidance on how to conduct a Christmas gathering is insulting and getting a lot of people’s backs up.
Despite what the media would have you believe about cranks and conspiracy theorists, these kind of protests are increasingly attended by people in fear. Not of the virus, but more the loss of their livelihoods and of their civil liberties, and disgust at the state’s interference in every detail of their daily lives
I don't know what is more depressing, the fact that the Police were telling people that protesting is illegal (how the hell did we allow that to happen by the way?) or them threatening a elderly bloke with a placard, with more and more surrounding him. What have we allowed ourselves to become? There is going to be a terrible price for all of this liberty giving away I fear.

DustyBin

Established Member
I don't know what is more depressing, the fact that the Police were telling people that protesting is illegal (how the hell did we allow that to happen by the way?) or them threatening a elderly bloke with a placard, with more and more surrounding him. What have we allowed ourselves to become? There is going to be a terrible price for all of this liberty giving away I fear.

I agree. I’ll hold my hands up, I thought there would have been mass civil disobedience by now but I was wrong. The government have been extremely effective in dividing the population and creating fear, as well as convincing people that it’s nearly all over (the latter repeatedly!). I find what’s happening very disturbing, I wish I could believe that it is nearly all over and we’ll be back to normal in six months time but I’m not at all convinced. Some of what we’ve lost will be gone forever, I really do believe that.

I find this quote from C.S. Lewis very profound:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.
C.S. Lewis God in the Dock

Last edited:

Yew

Established Member
The government have been extremely effective in dividing the population and creating fear, as well as convincing people that it’s nearly all over (the latter repeatedly!).
I'm so glad that we ha "significant normality by november"

Bantamzen

Established Member
I agree. I’ll hold my hands up, I thought there would have been mass civil disobedience by now but I was wrong. The government have been extremely effective in dividing the population and creating fear, as well as convincing people that it’s nearly all over (the latter repeatedly!). I find what’s happening very disturbing, I wish I could believe that it is nearly all over and we’ll be back to normal in six months time but I’m not at all convinced. Some of what we’ve lost will be gone forever, I really do believe that.

I find this quote from C.S. Lewis very profound:
What is disturbing is the number of people still in full fear mode. Just yesterday two relatives were discussing on Facebook how the lack of social distancing & lockdown rule adherence were making them stressed & frightened. Now given that both live in sleepy little villages and that both rarely go out, I think it is safe to say that neither have actually witnessed much of what is stressing them but are instead feeding off the media & social media sites. I would challenge them but I already know how they would respond. Anyone even daring to criticise lockdowns and masks are horrible, uncaring monsters that are happy see bodies falling in the streets.

island

Veteran Member
(how the hell did we allow that to happen by the way?)
The law prohibiting leaving your house without reasonable excuse and prohibiting gathering for the purpose of protest was passed in the Commons by 513 to 38 on 4 November. I do note, however, that Philip Davies, who appears to be your MP, was in the 38, so you can’t complain about him.

Bantamzen

Established Member
The law prohibiting leaving your house without reasonable excuse and prohibiting gathering for the purpose of protest was passed in the Commons by 513 to 38 on 4 November. I do note, however, that Philip Davies, who appears to be your MP, was in the 38, so you can’t complain about him.
And so I ask again, how the hell did we allow this to happen? Just think about it, a law that prohibits you from leaving your house without "reasonable excuse". That is nothing short of dystopian.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Well, I started my post intending to say you should write to your MP and complain, but then discovered yours didn‘t vote for it :E

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
And so I ask again, how the hell did we allow this to happen? Just think about it, a law that prohibits you from leaving your house without "reasonable excuse". That is nothing short of dystopian.
Is that not more draconian than Lockdown 1 ?

brad465

Established Member

Well, I started my post intending to say you should write to your MP and complain, but then discovered yours didn‘t vote for it :E
It sounds like there's a larger number of MPs against this now, to the point we've seen an apparent "sunset clause" concession for early February (although not enough I suspect to stop a vote passing). We'll have to see what the voting numbers are to be sure of any increasing opposition.

kez19

Established Member
Look out Scotland....(similar to Liverpool)....

Residents in five of Scotland's coronavirus hotspots where cases are "stubbornly high" are being targeted as part of a trial mass testing programme.
They include communities in areas of Glasgow, Ayrshire, Clackmannanshire and Renfrewshire.
Experts say the move could cut the chain of transmission by identifying asymptomatic cases of coronavirus.
Scotland's clinical director, Professor Jason Leitch, said the scheme could be expanded to more communities if it is successful.
He has previously ruled out a city-wide mass testing programme like that in Liverpool, saying he wanted to target smaller areas where communication with the public would be easier.
Testing of people without symptoms began on Thursday in Alloa, Clackmannanshire, after a mobile testing unit was set up in the car park of the town hall.
It will be operational until Wednesday following evidence of spread in the community and local care homes. The virus has also affected local schools.
In Glasgow, residents in Dalmarnock and parts of Pollokshields are also being encouraged to book a test if they do not have Covid symptoms.
Two sites will be operational on week days from Monday until 9 December between 09:00 and 18:00 and each will be able to test up to 800 people a day.
Glasgow City Council leader Susan Aitken said: "If we could make sure that we tell people that they've got it, even when they have no symptoms then that would be another step in the fight against staying in level four"

stevetay3

Why on earth would one bother complaining to there MP, these are the people responsible for all of this ,on Tuesday they will vote for this to continue again , then next month then next year. Complain and they will say complain via the ballot box at the next election if you get a reply at all. I complained to my mp Joy Morrissey Beacondsfield because she Voted for Johnson’s illegal brexit bill amendments , I received no reply at all.After the appalling scenes seen in London yesterday we need to look at France to see how we need to deal with this but do it legally

kez19

Established Member
Why on earth would one bother complaining to there MP, these are the people responsible for all of this ,on Tuesday they will vote for this to continue again , then next month then next year. Complain and they will say complain via the ballot box at the next election if you get a reply at all. I complained to my mp Joy Morrissey Beacondsfield because she Voted for Johnson’s illegal brexit bill amendments , I received no reply at all.After the appalling scenes seen in London yesterday we need to look at France to see how we need to deal with this but do it legally

I know you speak of telling your MP's your thoughts, mines are just too busy or if anything its all photo ops and nothing more (that even goes for councillors too, complain and do bug all - same thing for me... you lose a vote, not that any of that matters as all of them feed from the same trough!)

Class 33

Established Member
A couple of months ago there was the almost daily occurrence of "(insert name of cabinet minister here) refuses to rule out second national lockdown" headline articles in the press and media. Now we're only just about to come out of this second national lockdown, and already the headline articles of "(insert name of whichever cabinet minister does the daily TV interviews here) refuses to rule out third national lockdown" practically every day are already starting! They're up to their old tricks yet again!

Also starting are frequent headline articles that a third wave is coming! Well we hope that there won't be a third wave. But if there is, with these vaccines soon to be rolled out then the hospital admissions and deaths will be very very much lower than the first and second waves anyway.

DustyBin

Established Member
A couple of months ago there was the almost daily occurrence of "(insert name of cabinet minister here) refuses to rule out second national lockdown" headline articles in the press and media. Now we're only just about to come out of this second national lockdown, and already the headline articles of "(insert name of whichever cabinet minister does the daily TV interviews here) refuses to rule out third national lockdown" practically every day are already starting! They're up to their old tricks yet again!

Also starting are frequent headline articles that a third wave is coming! Well we hope that there won't be a third wave. But if there is, with these vaccines soon to be rolled out then the hospital admissions and deaths will be very very much lower than the first and second waves anyway.

I fully expect a third national lockdown. As you’ve identified, they’re following their usual modus operandi, there will be a ‘leak’ at some point in December I’m sure.... Think about it, it’s a great opportunity to sow further division with people accusing others of being selfish and irresponsible over Christmas. They’re never going to let that opportunity pass!

kristiang85

Established Member
What is disturbing is the number of people still in full fear mode. Just yesterday two relatives were discussing on Facebook how the lack of social distancing & lockdown rule adherence were making them stressed & frightened. Now given that both live in sleepy little villages and that both rarely go out, I think it is safe to say that neither have actually witnessed much of what is stressing them but are instead feeding off the media & social media sites. I would challenge them but I already know how they would respond. Anyone even daring to criticise lockdowns and masks are horrible, uncaring monsters that are happy see bodies falling in the streets.

There's someone I know who goes round constantly wearing N95 masks, berates anybody who goes within two metres of her, spends ages disinfecting any seats or desks she comes into contact with, and hasn't been to a shop since March. She's that scared of contracting COVID-19.

Yet she also smokes constantly. Which I find hilarious.

brad465

Established Member
I fully expect a third national lockdown. As you’ve identified, they’re following their usual modus operandi, there will be a ‘leak’ at some point in December I’m sure.... Think about it, it’s a great opportunity to sow further division with people accusing others of being selfish and irresponsible over Christmas. They’re never going to let that opportunity pass!
I completely agree about the division-sowing narrative opportunity, but would further add the benefit of a third lockdown in January is to try and provide cover for any potential Brexit-related disruption.

kez19

Established Member

Which in my mind feels like it’s a stitch up, media get whipped up in a frenzy over leaks/lockdowns but yet don’t share this when out of a lockdown.

I know I speak of politicians will come down with a bang but even the media will too just a matter of time (maybe third time lucky people do waken up)

adc82140

Established Member
According to the REACT trial, the R value is 0.88. This is being reported in the media as being a slow reduction in the virus. Yet when it was as 1.1, the virus was spreading exponentially. Hmmmm

I don't remember them reporting the virus spreading slowly, and reducing exponentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.