• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Media Coverage of COVID -19

Status
Not open for further replies.

kez19

Established Member
I would recommended staying away from her Twitter feed, she's branding herself "Hug Guru".....

A hug guru? I guess that’s a job that’s been plucked out of thin air

As for it being highlighted on the BBC I do wonder how much lower the media is going!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kristiang85

Established Member
They really need to find a really remote place where all of these so called experts that are desperate for airtime can be banished. Somewhere deep in the solar system would be preferable.

I hear they need volunteers for a Mars mission? Or is that still too close? :D

A hug guru? I guess that’s a job that’s been plucked out of thin air

As for it being highlighted on the BBC I do wonder how much lower the media is going!

I can't wait to see what Andrew Neil's new channel will be like. If it's anything like his Twitter feed, he's not going to put up with all this sanctimonious nonsense on his watch, or at the very least he will properly question it.

kez19

Established Member
I hear they need volunteers for a Mars mission? Or is that still too close? :D

I can't wait to see what Andrew Neil's new channel will be like. If it's anything like his Twitter feed, he's not going to put up with all this sanctimonious nonsense on his watch, or at the very least he will properly question it.

Hopefully the channel will be an alternative at least I’ll give it a go, I’ll happily consider going back to RT if need be as it’s quite clear that both UK/Scottish media are just scraping barrels and it’s not “real” news now as it’s all about who backsides they rather scratch than question it

duncanp

Established Member
o_O Condescending is an understatement
I think she wants people to wear a mask whilst hugging other people.

Just waiting for some "expert" to come along and advise us all about COVID secure ways for other forms of, ahem, "intimate contact", which are going to be allowed again from Monday according to The Sun.

It is one thing to wear a mask whilst hugging, but quite another thing to wear one whilst <censored > :D

kez19

Established Member

Just waiting for some "expert" to come along and advise us all about COVID secure ways for other forms of, ahem, "intimate contact", which are going to be allowed again from Monday according to The Sun.

It is one thing to wear a mask whilst hugging, but quite another thing to wear one whilst <censored > :D

I’ll happily hug a tree!

How many experts do we need? It’s about time their numbers dwindled too as it seems to be like a fashion trend, this expert will tell us on hugging, this one on fashion, this one on walking on pavements/roads and not forgetting the experts telling us not to sing or dance as it’s to do with your breathing…

kez19

Established Member
Like a lot of the more ridiculous stuff I think most of that came from across the pond. Much as our media can be bad, North America seems to have it ten times worse!

Double or triple masking has to be one…

I think our media is heading that way with its sensationalist approach on things, we are just catching up

GrahamD83

This was on the BBC earlier today. And yep you guessed it they suggest wearing a face covering.

duncanp

Established Member

This was on the BBC earlier today. And yep you guessed it they suggest wearing a face covering.

So people in Wales can go for a naughty weekend at the Premier Inn in Shrewsbury then.:D:D

I see the "guidance" says that if you meet someone new you should ask them if they have tested positive

If you are meeting someone new, the charity says to ask if they or anyone in their household have had symptoms or tested positive.

So there IS a use for these vaccine passports after all <D <D

And make sure you wash your hands beforehand as well as afterwards

And given we're supposed to be doing it after most things - washing your hands for more than 20 seconds or using hand sanitiser before and after sex is recommended.

kez19

Established Member
So people in Wales can go for a naughty weekend at the Premier Inn in Shrewsbury then.:D:D

I see the "guidance" says that if you meet someone new you should ask them if they have tested positive

So there IS a use for these vaccine passports after all <D <D

And make sure you wash your hands beforehand as well as afterwards

Is asking if someone has had or symptoms a new chat up line?

Go out, meet someone, oh yeah you had Covid? I’ll pass! (some people would say this sadly) Who thought society was becoming more judgmental by the day but still though trusting our media and politicians knowing what’s right?

Oh yes wear a mask avoid kissing etc but hey we can hug before and after it, umm I think we need a reality check, do what you feel is right and meet who you like, if politicians can bonk so should the public

brad465

Established Member
Wow seriously? She can <insert expletive here> right off!

I'm utterly done with miserable people hating experts, trying to inflict their wants on us from behind their web cams.
I like to think they've let the cat out of the bag about how they might be enjoying controlling our lives as a result, and/or be completely out of touch with reality in today's world.

This was not even the most patronising/outrageous statement from either a SAGE scientist or SAGE collectively, that goes to their sexist views about women, in a report about how people should behave at Christmas (this was before Tier 4 was invented), saying and I quote: "Women carry the burden of creating and maintaining family traditions and activities at Christmas. Messaging should be supportive of women adapting traditions and encouraging those around them to share the burden and to be supportive of any alterations to adapt for Covid-19 restrictions."

Bantamzen

Established Member
I like to think they've let the cat out of the bag about how they might be enjoying controlling our lives as a result, and/or be completely out of touch with reality in today's world.
Indeed, I've long wondered if there were some non-scientific motivations running through the experts & politicians. And this "Hug Guru" seems to revel in her new, self-appointed role. I did challenge her on it on her Twitter feed, and couple of supporters have responded by asking me if I know who she is and that I am silly. So I've mentioned to them that yes I do, and that I also know that there is growing alarm amongst psychiatrists about the serious mental health issues developing in this country & around the world. Predictably no response has been forthcoming.

This was not even the most patronising/outrageous statement from either a SAGE scientist or SAGE collectively, that goes to their sexist views about women, in a report about how people should behave at Christmas (this was before Tier 4 was invented), saying and I quote: "Women carry the burden of creating and maintaining family traditions and activities at Christmas. Messaging should be supportive of women adapting traditions and encouraging those around them to share the burden and to be supportive of any alterations to adapt for Covid-19 restrictions."
That was disgusting to say the least, but again offers an insight into the kind of thinking going on in SAGE. Its probably only a matter of time before they recommend leeches & burnings....

duncanp

Established Member

It is also patronising and sexist to men, suggesting that they are all lazy so and so's who spend Christmas boozing and leave "the wife" to do all the cooking and washing up.

In reality the workload is likely to be more evenly shared, and in any case it is no business of SAGE to comment on who does what within a household.

A lot of the so called "restrictions" were unecessary, and I really hope this comes out in the public enquiry into COVID-19. I fear though that the end result will be a cover up and a fudge.

johnnychips

Established Member
Never thought I’d write this, but...

Boris gives a sensible assessment of the India variant.

BBC: Aaaaaaaaargh! Headlines! Boris might change things if a very unlikely situation happens! Hold the front (web) page!

Two years ago, if anyone had asked me what one of the things that made Britain great was, I would have said ‘the BBC’.

Now ...

Last edited:

Tracked

Established Member
Never thought I’d write this, but...

Boris gives a sensible assessment of the India variant.

BBC: Aaaaaaaaargh! Headlines! Boris might change things if a very unlikely situation happens! Hold the front (web) page!
Not just the BBC, was having a casual scan of the headlines on Google News and there's a lot of headlines with a similar panic-driven interpretation. I haven't been a fan of Boris' messaging in the past, there was a lot of over-optimistic bombast last year ("just wash your hands", "we'll beat this in 12 weeks", "Christmas is saved", etc ... ), but certainly reading beyond the headlines on this he came across a lot more sober, sensible and realistic; Boris telling people what they need to hear, rather than what he thinks they want to hear.

adc82140

Established Member
According to internal messaging all those that were originally planned to be scrapped have now been sent away.

The rest are expected to be converted for further use.

Not just the BBC, was having a casual scan of the headlines on Google News and there's a lot of headlines with a similar panic-driven interpretation. I haven't been a fan of Boris' messaging in the past, there was a lot of over-optimistic bombast last year ("just wash your hands", "we'll beat this in 12 weeks", "Christmas is saved", etc ... ), but certainly reading beyond the headlines on this he came across a lot more sober, sensible and realistic; Boris telling people what they need to hear, rather than what he thinks they want to hear.
One big difference in the last 12 months is that Dominic Cummings is no longer pulling the strings. It's noticeable.

Darandio

Established Member
A Professor from Nervtag has been 'Hug Shaming' this morning, this is taken from the BBC Live page. It's high-risk and because he wouldn't dream of doing it nobody else should.

Another one that needs to disappear to a far off place and never bother us again.

Hugging a 'high-risk procedure', scientist says​

One of the things many people will be looking forward to as part of today's rule changes is hugging.

But Prof Peter Openshaw, a member of the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (Nervtag) tells BBC Breakfast hugging is a "high-risk procedure" and says we should be "extremely cautious" amid the easing of restrictions.

"Some of us are quite happy not to be hugging and kissing many times on the cheek," he says. "This is a high-risk procedure, I would say in medical terms and I would certainly not be embracing people closely.

"I think you can greet people perfectly well at a distance with a smile and a kind word."

He adds: "I think we're all in agreement that this is a moment when we need to be very cautious if we're going to preserve our freedoms going forward into the summer."

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm not a great hugger myself, however I'd be interested to see what evidence SAGE have that hugging is so high risk.

It seems to me that:

1, a hug doesn't last very long and
2, you're breathing in completely opposite directions anyway.

My BS sense is tingling.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm not a great hugger myself, however I'd be interested to see what evidence SAGE have that hugging is so high risk.

It seems to me that:

1, a hug doesn't last very long and
2, you're breathing in completely opposite directions anyway.

My BS sense is tingling.
The phrasing is what gets me - describing a hug as a "high-risk procedure" as though it's some kind of medical operation. I mean, we know these professors are often out of touch, but describing normal human interactions in that way is another level!

kristiang85

Established Member
I can just imagine him tapping his child on the head with a long spoon as a form of affection...

kez19

Established Member
A Professor from Nervtag has been 'Hug Shaming' this morning, this is taken from the BBC Live page. It's high-risk and because he wouldn't dream of doing it nobody else should.

Another one that needs to disappear to a far off place and never bother us again.

Still though I guess the BBC didn’t ask him the question of did he hug anyone recently (I bet he has)

Bantamzen

Established Member
SAGE members and supporters might want to avoid Twitter for a few hours. #SAGE is currently trending, and a lot of the Tweets are not complimentary to them. Their fear mongering methodology is coming back to bite them on the arse, and not before time.

kristiang85

Established Member
SAGE members and supporters might want to avoid Twitter for a few hours. #SAGE is currently trending, and a lot of the Tweets are not complimentary to them. Their fear mongering methodology is coming back to bite them on the arse, and not before time.

Graham Medley is getting it in the neck, with quotes such as this:

SAGE member Graham Medley says he would only go to the pub if: “It was suitably organised and it looked okay and was in an area of low prevalence and the clientele was very old [and therefore mostly vaccinated]”

kez19

Established Member

Tide must be turning, now let’s see this very tide hit our media too, this isn’t going to look pretty for both parties, (oh politicians too), scotch eggs anyone?

Graham Medley is getting it in the neck, with quotes such as this:

Must be showing his age then! lol, pub could direct him to a bus

Darandio

Established Member
Andrew Lloyd Webber has been making his mouth go now, it can be found here. Those who refuse the vaccine are comparable to drink drivers. Prat.

Covid vaccine refusers selfish, says Lloyd Webber​

Composer Andrew Lloyd Webber has compared people who refuse Covid vaccines to drink drivers.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4's World at One programme, he called for people to consider how vaccine refusal affects others.

Status
Not open for further replies.