• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Media Coverage of COVID -19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny

Established Member
Andrew Lloyd Webber has been making his mouth go now, it can be found here. Those who refuse the vaccine are comparable to drink drivers. Prat.

It is a poor comparison. I wish there this forum supported integrated gifs - I would be including a motor-mouth one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nedchester

Established Member
Andrew Lloyd Webber has been making his mouth go now, it can be found here. Those who refuse the vaccine are comparable to drink drivers. Prat.
I would say those that are offered the vaccine and refuse it are stupid. If they subsequently get ill then tough luck and I have no sympathy.

However, the rest of us shouldn't be locked down and restricted as a result.

Darandio

Established Member
I would say those that are offered the vaccine and refuse it are stupid. If they subsequently get ill then tough luck and I have no sympathy.

As I said in another thread if you refuse it and become ill then that's unfortunate but tough. I refuse to call them stupid though, it's their choice.

I agree we shouldn't be restricted as a result of their actions.

87electric

I have more faith in my immune system than jabs. You seem to live in fear while I never will.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bikeman78

Established Member

I know some very sensible people that don't want the vaccine. I only really had it to improve my chances of being allowed to go abroad.

nedchester

Established Member
I have more faith in my immune system than jabs. You seem to live in fear while I never will.
I don’t live in fear at all but accept what benefit vaccines are at stopping this thing.

I do have degree level science qualifications which I suspect allow me to make informed opinion on the effectiveness of vaccines.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeWM

Established Member

Oh well, I wasn't persuaded by the Queen, Elton John or the Catholic Church, but now Andrew Lloyd Webber has spoken I see the error of my ways and will book a vaccine appointment forthwith :lol:

You're entitled to your opinion, though two people I know who definitely won't be going anywhere near the vaccine are anything but stupid. And that's not counting myself, I don't really care if people think I'm stupid 8-)

Has anyone actually bothered to ask those who don't want to have the vaccine what their position is? Certainly in my case I don't expect any sympathy if I get Covid and fall ill, any more than I'd expect it if I got a bad case of the flu after not having the annual flu vaccine. What happens, happens. I've made a choice and will take the consequences, if any.

And I still don't believe there are any appreciable quantity of people in the category of 'don't want the vaccine but want restrictions to continue'. The people who seem to want restrictions to continue are those who have already been vaccinated, goodness only knows what their reasoning is for that.

It seems the government are considering going down a route ('continued restrictions to protect the unvaccinated') that neither the vaccinated *nor* the unvaccinated want. Isn't that rather odd?

Cdd89

Established Member
Hold on. Younger people getting the vaccine (despite being at very low risk of serious illness, while vulnerable/older people in developing countries are unvaccinated) are the selfish ones. I include myself in that category.

brad465

Established Member
The Financial Times are reporting that Denmark are on the brink of returning to normality; only nightclubs are remaining closed from this Friday, while the domestic covid passport they have, along with face masks, are set to be phased out, the former from next month and the latter by the end of the August at the latest. All this is despite a recent small rise in cases.

The article also reveals Switzerland, Greece, and parts of Spain, are already almost completely open, despite vaccination rates lower than us.

(Due to FT copyright rules I can't quote text directly, but the above summary is on the lines of the article content)

Last edited:

scotrail158713

Established Member
The Financial Times are reporting that Denmark are on the brink of returning to normality; only nightclubs are remaining closed from this Friday, while the domestic covid passport they have, along with face masks, are set to be phased out, the former from next month and the latter by the end of the August at the latest. All this is despite a recent small rise in cases.

The article also reveals Switzerland, Greece, and parts of Spain, are already almost completely open, despite vaccination rates lower than us.

(Due to FT copyright rules I can't quote text directly, but the above summary is on the lines of the article content)
It's just making us look sillier the longer this goes on

nlogax

Established Member
Looks like the best place to share some thorough and detailed media reporting as opposed to the usual crowd-baiting hysterics. This is a long thread from John Burn-Murdoch of the FT who's been doing some extra digging re. the growing presence of B.1.617.2 in the UK.

https://threader.app/thread/1394359535754698755

NEW: latest update on B.1.617.2 in UK

Long story short - what appears to be happening is a lot of noise around growing case numbers but far, far less evidence of any worrying or corresponding growth in hospitalizations. This really needs more views.

Darandio

Established Member
Seems the Andrew Lloyd Webber quote I posted yesterday where he compared those refusing the vaccine to drink drivers stirred debate on both sides. The BBC live link is here.

Some may think Mark is being way over the top but like i've already said, it's his choice and I respect that.

Mark, from the South West, said it was an unfair comparison.

"I’m absolutely in fear of the vaccine...I’m more in fear of the vaccine than I am of coronavirus," he said.

"I don’t smoke, I take great care of myself. I make sure that everything I want to take on board into my body...I make sure that it’s good for me. I’m not perfect but you cannot label me as the same."

Rachel on the other hand is a disgrace and it's sad to see such views, it's no wonder people are so are divided. Refuse a vaccine and you should stay at home with no benefits or no wages. Basically you should be left to rot. o_O

Rachel, in Malvern, said she agreed with Lord Lloyd-Webber.

"You’ve only got to have a look at India and what’s going on in those countries, the amount of people getting really ill, I find it disgraceful that people think they shouldn't have the vaccine," she said.

"I accept there are people with health issues that can’t, but anybody else who refuses to have it, I honestly feel they should lose their jobs, they shouldn’t be allowed to work with the public in any capacity, they should have to stay at home...no benefits should be paid, no wages, no furlough."

johnnychips

Established Member
Hope she doesn’t smoke, drink, exercises a lot and isn’t overweight. If so I might have a tiny amount of respect for her views.

DustyBin

Established Member
Seems the Andrew Lloyd Webber quote I posted yesterday where he compared those refusing the vaccine to drink drivers stirred debate on both sides. The BBC live link is here.

Some may think Mark is being way over the top but like i've already said, it's his choice and I respect that.

Rachel on the other hand is a disgrace and it's sad to see such views, it's no wonder people are so are divided. Refuse a vaccine and you should stay at home with no benefits or no wages. Basically you should be left to rot. o_O

On a similar note I just came across this from The Independent, which is frankly disgusting to put it mildly. I haven’t quoted the whole thing, but the link works:

What shall we do about the anti-vaxxers? A presumptuous question, I know, because they’re human beings, same as the majority of the population who choose to take the Covid-19 vaccines, and we’re all entitled to do what we will or won’t with our own bodies.

But the time has come when the hard choices are looming closer. If we don’t want this Covid crisis to last forever, we need some new simple, guidelines: No jab, no job; no jab, no access to NHS healthcare; no jab, no state education for your kids. No jab, no access to pubs, restaurants, theatres, cinemas, stadiums. No jab, no entry to the UK, and much else.

Who wants their grandma looked after by someone with coronavirus, or teaching in a school full of kids sneezing the Indian variant everywhere, or to watch a football game with someone coughing their viral load all over you? That’s not my idea of freedom.

Society always needs to balance rights against obligations, and, with rare exceptions (on problem health grounds) those refusing a vaccine need to accept what everyone else does, or face the consequences.

Note that anybody who doesn’t want the vaccine is now an ‘anti-vaxxer’.

I fear for the society we’re creating here….

kristiang85

Established Member
On a similar note I just came across this from The Independent, which is frankly disgusting to put it mildly. I haven’t quoted the whole thing, but the link works:

Shelagh Fogarty (has a blue heart and works for LBC) said today that people might be tempted to poison the coffee of colleagues who haven't had it...

I presume she meant it in jest, but it shows the level of bile out there by supposed liberals...

Bikeman78

Established Member

Can any of these nutters explain how we ever got over Spanish Flu with no vaccine? And who thought it was acceptable to "cough over people" even before Covid? I put my hand over my mouth, as do most other people from what I've observed.

Scotrail12

Shelagh Fogarty (has a blue heart and works for LBC) said today that people might be tempted to poison the coffee of colleagues who haven't had it...

I presume she meant it in jest, but it shows the level of bile out there by supposed liberals...
Maybe meant in jest but if it was, I can't see why she's not apologised and has instead ignored basically all tweets about it.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
And who thought it was acceptable to "cough over people" even before Covid? I put my hand over my mouth, as do most other people from what I've observed.
Seen it happen on a busy commuter train. Bloke that did it gave the impression that it was quite funny to have done so. :rolleyes:

brad465

Established Member
The papers tomorrow are almost entirely critical of the Government and/or Johnson. Not always on the same thing, but includes divisions among Ministers over foreign travel, the nurse who treated Johnson in hospital quitting, the i speculating that reintroducing local lockdowns will see a prominent revolt, and even the Express highlighting collateral damage of not seeing GPs face to face:

1621376036141.png1621376046734.png1621376066388.png1621376094898.png1621376109823.png1621376152006.png1621376366250.png

initiation

The papers tomorrow are almost entirely critical of the Government and/or Johnson

Yet we also have articles like this, squarely looking to pin any blame for 21/6 being delayed on those 'selfish idiots' who don't want a vaccine.

I am not the selfish one. I am young and have very little risk of serious illness from covid. I have been forced to sacrifice the last year of my life to protect the vulnerable who are now essentially fully protected via vaccination. It is those who want to control everyone else's lives who are selfish.

Anyway....Matt Hancock press conference at 5pm...

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yet we also have articles like this, squarely looking to pin any blame for 21/6 being delayed on those 'selfish idiots' who don't want a vaccine.

I am not the selfish one. I am young and have very little risk of serious illness from covid. I have been forced to sacrifice the last year of my life to protect the vulnerable who are now essentially fully protected via vaccination. It is those who want to control everyone else's lives who are selfish.

Anyway....Matt Hancock press conference at 5pm...

Vaccines protect everybody not just the vulnerable. Passing it on to one person can start a chain reaction and spread and spread

Bantamzen

Established Member
Vaccines protect everybody not just the vulnerable. Passing it on to one person can start a chain reaction and spread and spread
So what you are saying is viruses spread, who knew? :rolleyes:

And actually vaccines don't actually fully stop the spread, they help the immune system respond quicker and more efficiently to reduce the effects of the infection & the side effects of the immune response. With the SAR-CoV-2 virus this particularly effects the more vulnerable (particularly the elderly), so for them the vaccine is more effective. For the rest of society the vaccine is, well not necessarily making a huge difference as most people would have at worse mild symptoms. That's not to say people shouldn't be encouraged to have it, but the vaccine shaming that is taking place is deplorable and not befitting a modern society where we should be given a choice.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Sorry, I don't understand. Majority are now vaccinated including almost all the vulnerable so how's it going to spread and spread. Another statement lacking in scientific evidence much like the scare mongering in the media about India variant.

LAX54

Established Member

Think most of the population would agree to that ! Of course there are some that cannot be jabbed, but those that think it inserts a chip, or changes your DNA etc, then if they get it, we hope its not severe.
However, I am not sure the actual illness is quite as bad as made out, yes we have the alarmist news reports and newspapers, but after a year and a population of 70 million or so, 128K deaths, which compared to the flu season of 2018(?) where there were 50k in a matter of months, which no one batted an eyelid.
Are we in the position we are due to Facebook, Twitter, 24/7 News with hours to fill etc
No more pussyfooting around, 21st June should really be set in stone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.