• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Megabus branding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I notice that of late Megabus have abandoned the much-loved "Sid" character and have just gone for plain blue with text, dropping the .com too. It does seem a rebrand on the cheap. Why has this been done? To make the livery cheaper to apply, perhaps?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cnjb8

Established Member
I think its something to do with the Megabus £1 controversy last year. Maybe they're shifting from that and starting fresh.

Temple Meads

Established Member
National Express have had an extremely plain livery for years and it doesn't seem to do them any harm.

I suspect Megabus are trying to aim for something a little classier than their previous style...

overthewater

Established Member
I think its something to do with the Megabus £1 controversy last year. Maybe they're shifting from that and starting fresh.

I believe that is the reason Sid is gone, and has nothing to do with Classier looks..

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Maybe Dara O Briain finally got fed up with his image being plastered on the back of a bus and took legal action? ;)

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It should also be noted in Scotland they seem to be leaning more towards the Citylink brand now. I'm aware all the routes that stay within Scotland are CL operated however in the past marketing has had a strong Megabus bias (due to an agreement between both companies) with Megabus vehicles on the Saltire routes.

Even the Astromega's for the M9 (really the only route left with a consistent Megabus livery allocation) are now getting Citylink branded rear adverts and all the online publicity now shows the Citylink Irizars. - https://www.flickr.com/photos/122507681@N02/49070240423

I must admit i'd be more than happy to see the Astromegas repainted in to the much superior Citylink colours.

Swanny200

It should also be noted in Scotland they seem to be leaning more towards the Citylink brand now. I'm aware all the routes that stay within Scotland are CL operated however in the past marketing has had a strong Megabus bias (due to an agreement between both companies) with Megabus vehicles on the Saltire routes.

Even the Astromega's for the M9 (really the only route left with a consistent Megabus livery allocation) are now getting Citylink branded rear adverts and all the online publicity now shows the Citylink Irizars. - https://www.flickr.com/photos/122507681@N02/49070240423

I must admit i'd be more than happy to see the Astromegas repainted in to the much superior Citylink colours.

Slightly off topic but is it just me or in that picture does it not look weird seeing the rear of a Levante in Stagecoach colours, I don't think it suits that.

Boo_

On Moderation
What do people think about the new look (pictured below)? Reported by CBW https://cbwmagazine.com/megabus-trials-refreshed-livery/
Express coach service provider Megabus has entered the final phase of trialling its refreshed livery. The updated livery, first introduced in October 2019, was changed to omit the popular megabus character, Sid, and the .com from the fleet name. It has now gained a yellow flash to the sides of the vehicle and prominent ‘brought to you by Stagecoach’ branding on the sides and rear.

Details of the company’s social distancing measures have also been incorporated above the entry door.

Roll out of the new livery was originally expected to take two years but was slowed during the first coronavirus pandemic lockdown which began on 16 March. Up until then, six new Plaxton Panoramas had first been introduced in the new livery, whilst a repaint program on the earlier batches of Plaxton Eliteis had commenced.

Plaxton Elitei-bodied Volvo B11R 54272 was the first coach in the fleet to gain the completed livery last week.

Mega.jpg

Geochemwill

I like it! A big improvement on the interim plain blue livery, and a nod to beachball but would be even better with Sid #bringbacksid

RustySpoons

I'm not sure. Sid was instantly recognisable as Megabus, he was a big part of the brand, even in the USA. You saw Sid, you instantly thought Megabus. This just has a look of small independent operator about it.

LUYMun

Not bad - but this being a trial I suppose the rest of the fleet would have the yellow/bronze variation?

MrKyleBuses

I'd rather see a livery based on the new long distance one if there gonna redo it again but with more emphasis on blue rather than yellow just so it fits in more with other Stagecoach long-distance liveries but at the same time still fits with the Megabus brand if that's the direction there wanna go.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd rather see a livery based on the new long distance one if there gonna redo it again but with more emphasis on blue rather than yellow just so it fits in more with other Stagecoach long-distance liveries but at the same time still fits with the Megabus brand if that's the direction there wanna go.

I suspect it's not being merged into the full Stagecoach branding partly because the Megabus brand is so strong but also partly so they can more easily flog it off if that becomes desirable (as they did the international operation).

Sid was a play on words of Quid

I suspect most people hadn't twigged that. I certainly hadn't until you said it. Just struck me that Sid is a fairly likely name for an ageing, slightly rotund but cheery coach driver! :)

Boo_

On Moderation
I do miss the mad Wednesday`s when all routes within England was £1 all Seats. People used to try move house on megabus for £1 and the issues I used to get when people would miss there coach then find out all coaches was full that day and would feel it down to me the stand controller to sort there life out.

Azzy49

I found a picture of the first Astromega, belonging to Stagecoach West Scotland, in the new livery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.