• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail 507's/508's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladder23

Established Member
Hi guys, I am struggling to find much info on these now a lot of new 777 units coming into the country.

Are they being scrapped, if so where?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ladder23

Established Member
Don’t think any of Merseyrail’s legacy fleet has gone for scrap yet, though at least one unit is now out of regular use.
Thanks, that's good news. certainly explains why I couldn't see anything then, I just assumed going so going by the 313/314/315's!

L401CJF

Established Member
The only unit withdrawn from service is 508134 which is sat in Kirkdale depot. There are a few on limited miles as overhauls are due for them and understandably they don't want to get them done however are all still in use. I think most limited mileage ones are currently stabled around the network seeing as the service is still limited.

Ladder23

Established Member
The only unit withdrawn from service is 508134 which is sat in Kirkdale depot. There are a few on limited miles as overhauls are due for them and understandably they don't want to get them done however are all still in use. I think most limited mileage ones are currently stabled around the network seeing as the service is still limited.
Any reason why that’s pulled out?

baldyman26

It's out of miles, requires a full exam and overhaul to go back in service however this won't be done..it will be the first train to leave the fleet in a few weeks

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I believe that the Miseryrail COVID timetable is on a near-normal frequency AND requires lots of 6-car running so few if any can be stood down yet. 134 was already knackered pre-COVID.

TheSel

Don’t think any of Merseyrail’s legacy fleet has gone for scrap yet, though at least one unit is now out of regular use.

Not quite correct. 507022 was withdrawn following an accident in 1991, and 508118 was lost to fire in 2001. But other than that - and 508134 as stated above - the rest are still kicking around.

Tynwald

And the units that were transfered south some years ago, which I believe no longer exist.

Examples ex Merseyrail SouthEastern and Silverlink by then renumbered 508/2 and 508/3 were scrapped, a few vehicles were converted as barrier vehicles and still exist. Of course the 4th coach from each 508 still operates within the 455 that they became a part of when they initially moved North to Merseyside

Liverpool 507

There was only one visible 50X stabled at Kirkdale this afternoon when I went past. 777009 and another 777 were out in the sidings.

MR-507508

It's out of miles, requires a full exam and overhaul to go back in service however this won't be done..it will be the first train to leave the fleet in a few weeks
Any idea on what date it maybe leaving and how (where will it be going)?

508134, was in the maintenance shed at Birkenhead North depot today getting work done-are we sure it is definitely leaving and they have not decided to give the unit its exam and overhaul due to the delays the current situation will entail to the rollout of the new fleet.

L401CJF

Established Member

508134, was in the maintenance shed at Birkenhead North depot today getting work done-are we sure it is definitely leaving and they have not decided to give the unit its exam and overhaul due to the delays the current situation will entail to the rollout of the new fleet.
If its in the shed, chances are they are stripping it of useful parts ready to be scrapped. I'm sure it was said 134 would not be overhauled, although others such as 112 have been.

If this is the case and it is due to leave, I'd imagine it'll go via the Borderlands Line and to one of the usual scrappers like the 313 fleet did, ie Simms Metals in Newport etc.

Last edited:

Bow Fell

If its in the shed, chances are they are stripping it of useful parts ready to be scrapped. I'm sure it was said 134 would not be overhauled, although others such as 112 have been.

If this is the case and it is due to leave, I'd imagine it'll go via the Borderlands Line and to one of the usual scrappers like the 313 fleet did, ie Simms Metals in Newport etc.

134’s overhaul date is officially not until later this year, however it’s already reached its mileage threshold for overhaul, which is why it’s been taken out of use.

There are others in the queue before and only 1 overhaul can be done at a time, unless they started getting sent away which bearing in mind they have limited lifespan doesn’t make sense!

Definitely not, there’s already a unit undergoing overhaul, an exam is easily done so it could have this done no problem. Even if it had an A exam it will still require the full C3 overhaul.

Liverpool 507

There are pictures on the Mersey Railways Facebook group showing ROG’s 57312 and 37884 coupling to a 507/8 at Birkenhead North for training and route learning purposes ahead of the departure of the 507/8 class.

Liverpool 507

It is yes, however 507023 could be the first 507 to be withdrawn (excluding 507022) from the network as it has a very high mileage.

Bod

I was under the impression 507020 failed in June and has not worked since so if it is still dormant then it seems unlikely to work again unless someone knows differently.

Liverpool 507

I was under the impression 507020 failed in June and has not worked since so if it is still dormant then it seems unlikely to work again unless someone knows differently.

It must be at Birkenhead North as I haven’t seen it at Kirkdale, although it isn’t ‘officially’ withdrawn yet.

507028 has been the only 507/8 visible during the daytime at Kirkdale. Is this unit nearing it’s mileage limit?

MR-507508

It must be at Birkenhead North as I haven’t seen it at Kirkdale, although it isn’t ‘officially’ withdrawn yet.

507028 has been the only 507/8 visible during the daytime at Kirkdale. Is this unit nearing it’s mileage limit?
I believe 507020 has been in overhaul over the past month or so, and should be out very soon.
507028 recently received an overhaul a few months back and is fine for miles. I have noticed it does spend a lot of time at Kirkdale though, anyone confim what is up with 507028?

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Can anyone please describe in layman's terms what the differences are between a 507 and a 508 ?
Are they owned by a Rosco ? If so would they be subject to the usual Rosco handback in working order ?
Or maybe accepted as being hauled away for scrap.

Thanks

Liverpool 507

Can anyone please describe in layman's terms what the differences are between a 507 and a 508 ?
Are they owned by a Rosco ? If so would they be subject to the usual Rosco handback in working order ?
Or maybe accepted as being hauled away for scrap.

Thanks

The main difference between the two classes is that they have different compressors, the 507’s have one and the 508’s have two. The 508’s were originally 5080XX, but were renumbered to 5081XX to avoid confusion with the 507’s.

The 507’s (built 1978-80) have always been three cars long and have spent their entire lives in Merseyside, whereas the 508’s (built 1979-80) were originally four carriages and were reduced into three, with the spare trailer carriages being inserted into Class 455/7 units for extra capacity. The 508’s spent their lives initially in London, but the units gradually came up to Merseyside in the early 80’s, replacing the Class 503s.

All class 507/508’s are owned by Angel Trains and are expected to be towed away by ROG loco’s for scrap when they’re made redundant.

Wolvercoter

I have a question about 507s and 508s.

A number of 508s were stored in MOD Kineton in the mid 90s which subsequently went to South Eastern (12). Another 10 were stored towards the end of the 90s and 3 went to Silverlink whilst the rest (minus fire damaged 508118) were refurbed and pressed back into service with Merseyrail.

My question is why were only 508s stored when Merseyrail reduced their fleet? Are the 508s much less reliable than the 507s? Just wondering.

urbophile

Established Member
The main difference between the two classes is that they have different compressors, the 507’s have one and the 508’s have two. The 508’s were originally 5080XX, but were renumbered to 5081XX to avoid confusion with the 507’s.
Is that like hearts for a Time Lord?

Status
Not open for further replies.