• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail 507's/508's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesst

Is part of the reason for the "COVID" half hourly service reductions that they don't have enough working 50x to operate the full timetable reliably, or that it's going that way?

No that's more down to a lack of staff than anything else, the northern line depots have been very short.
Running a large number of 6 cars for a sustained time though doesn't leave much available if a couple of units pick up faults.

Bow Fell

Is part of the reason for the "COVID" half hourly service reductions that they don't have enough working 50x to operate the full timetable reliably, or that it's going that way?
No that's more down to a lack of staff than anything else, the northern line depots have been very short.
Running a large number of 6 cars for a sustained time though doesn't leave much available if a couple of units pick up faults.

Yep, pretty much as mentioned, there was one or two cancellations the last few weeks due to traincrew shortage, which literally never happens on the network, so rather than run a full service with unpredictable cancellations, run a reduced service, where you know, barring any disruption, everything is covered and guaranteed to run.

The last few weeks as well, there have been quite a few MA failures on the units, but the depot is managing to turn them around and get them replaced quite well.

Reliabilty of the units over the past 12-18 months has been probably the best it ever has been over the last few years!

MR-507508

Would anyone happen to know what units are currently stabled in the wall siding at New Brighton and siding 2 at West Kirby please?
These units seem to have been stabled most of this week.

Bow Fell

Would anyone happen to know what units are currently stabled in the wall siding at New Brighton and siding 2 at West Kirby please?
These units seem to have been stabled most of this week.

508125 at WK, 507027/508140 at NB.

MR-507508

A quick question is 507029 in traffic?

TFAH
It most certainly is...I was on it this afternoon.
Its running on the Ormskirk-Hunts Cross line today, front car unit, but according to the diagram will be splitting at Ormskirk and heading back to Kirkdale around 7pm.

508139 is back after its overhaul and seized axle replacement.
Do you know what line it was on today please?
Which unit is in next for overhaul....508114?

L401CJF

Established Member
A quick question is 507029 in traffic?

TFAH
As mentioned its been out today, but this is one of the few units I've been bumping into a hell of a lot lately, its been on the Wirral a lot the past few months.

Thanks, im visiting tomorrow so will be on the lookout for it along with 507005
I had the same thought earlier this week! Didn’t find 507005 or 508125 though, 20 was on the Wirral lines and 117 & 136 were on the northern lines.

Bow Fell

It most certainly is...I was on it this afternoon.
Its running on the Ormskirk-Hunts Cross line today, front car unit, but according to the diagram will be splitting at Ormskirk and heading back to Kirkdale around 7pm.

Do you know what line it was on today please?
Which unit is in next for overhaul....508114?

Only just got released late this afternoon from B/North so still there and gone over to Kirkdale. Yes 508114 next.

L401CJF

Established Member
Have been told 508139 is stabled at New Brighton, is it likely to come out today? Cheers
Cant help you there, sorry. I rarely venture to New Brighton. I've got to grips with the patterns for stock at West Kirby in the evenings but not New Brighton.

Cant help you there, sorry. I rarely venture to New Brighton. I've got to grips with the patterns for stock at West Kirby in the evenings but not New Brighton.
Got to New Brighton and its not there!

508139 with 507001 stabled Platform 3 at Rock Ferry. Looks like for the night.

Attachments

• 20201204_124326.jpg
    20201204_124326.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:

MR-507508

They’ll be on the Ellesmere Port Line tomorrow.
Is this the first day which sees the return of 6 car trains running on the Ellesmere Port line?
Are 6 cars still unable to run on the Chester line due to power supply problems in the Capenhurst area?

There was a train fault earlier today on the Ellesmere port line, but I think this was from the other 6 car set which started out at Rock Ferry this morning so did not involve 508139+507001?

L401CJF

Established Member
Is this the first day which sees the return of 6 car trains running on the Ellesmere Port line?
Are 6 cars still unable to run on the Chester line due to power supply problems in the Capenhurst area?

There was a train fault earlier today on the Ellesmere port line, but I think this was from the other 6 car set which started out at Rock Ferry this morning so did not involve 508139+507001?
I saw a 6 car depart Ellesmere Port earlier this morning, the one behind didn't turn up. Didn't catch any unit numbers.

Bow Fell

More to do with voltage/track circuit/signal reversions between Bache & Chester.

6 cars back on the Ellesmere Ports as power supply work on the substations between Green Lane & Hooton complete.

jamesst

More to do with voltage/track circuit/signal reversions between Bache & Chester.

6 cars back on the Ellesmere Ports as power supply work on the substations between Green Lane & Hooton complete.

Also 6 cars on the Chester line would use 8 units, Ellesmere Port line only 6...

mpb56125

Looks like the 507 & 508 will be around, longer than expected.
Today I observed 6 cars on on the Ormskirk and Kirkby line (30 minute frequency) and 3 cars on the Southport (15 minute frequency).

Delays mean no date for new Merseyrail trains to start running - Liverpool Echo

Merseytravel is unable to confirm when the new Merseyrail fleet will enter service as delays linked to the coronavirus pandemic continue.

The new trains were originally due to enter service in the autumn but that plan was ditched after construction and delivery of the trains were hit by delays linked to lockdown and coronavirus restrictions.

The fleet is being built by Stadler at a factory in Switzerland before being transported to Merseyside for testing.

A spokeswoman for Merseytrave l said continued uncertainty around the pandemic meant there was no new date for the trains to enter service yet.

The spokeswoman said: “We had hoped to be in a position towards the end of this year to give more clarity about when we might start to see our new trains come into service.

“Unfortunately, as there is still so much uncertainty surrounding the pandemic and what might happen over the next 3 to 6 months we are not able to do so at this time.

“While we appreciate this is disappointing news, we are doing everything we can to put a revised schedule in place.”

“Our focus is on driving this project forward and we hope to provide further updates regarding the introduction of the new trains as soon as possible.”

The spokeswoman said that work linked to the rollout was continuing, with power upgrades necessary to run the trains due for completion in the new year.

The new trains are being bought by the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority at a cost of £460m.

There will eventually be 52 new trains on the Merseyrail network, with the new fleet offering more capacity and better facilities.

will no longer need a ramp to get on the train, with the trains having a step that extends out and meets the platform.

There will also be onboard Wifi and charging points.

Mark

MR-507508

Also 6 cars on the Chester line would use 8 units, Ellesmere Port line only 6...
It seems they are looking to switch to 6 Cars on the Chester line from 2nd January.
Apparently, according to twitter, they are looking at doing some test runs to see if the issues between Bache & Chester have been resolved.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It seems they are looking to switch to 6 Cars on the Chester line from 2nd January.
Apparently, according to twitter, they are looking at doing some test runs to see if the issues between Bache & Chester have been resolved.

What issues were those, out of interest? Chester was 6 car most of the time until the 4tph service came along, wasn't it?

MR-507508

What issues were those, out of interest? Chester was 6 car most of the time until the 4tph service came along, wasn't it?
Chester was operating as 6 cars during the summer, however a few months back, the issues mentioned in post #173 on this forum page were discovered, which meant 6 cars could not run on the Chester line.
They then switched to having the Ellesmere Port services as 6 cars, however, a few weeks later there were issues due to power supply works preventing 6 cars running on the Ellesmere Port services as well. This issue has now been resolved and I think they hope the issues on the Chester line maybe resolved soon.

MR-507508

Combination of electrical supply problems and track circuit voltage issues, when two 6 cars were taking power, it was causing signal reversions between Bache & Chester. Long standing issue that has gone for many years (I’m talking over 5 years!) due to voltage issues and it got to point where signals were reverting in front of every train, so had to drop to 3 cars.
Is the plan to have the Chester trains back as 6 cars from the 2nd Jan still?
Are there any test runs planned next week if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.