• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tetudo boy

Here's a capture from a YouTube video taken a couple of 11 days ago:
The traction motor sounds pure! Can't wait until they're in service. Apparently there scheduled for operation next month, right?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Interesting to see that, unlike CAF, Stadler appear to be able to apply the international vehicle numbers in the correct format!

Still can’t get over they acceleration!

A 350 can do that - and a FLIRT on the overhead too. Looks like they've been reined in for the third rail to me.

Skie

Don’t think that video really shows the acceleration.
this is an earlier test where it positively flies off the mark

Specs wise the 777’s aren’t quite the fastest accelerators, and they may even get rated down a bit to avoid bowling twirlies over, but they’re a heck of an improvement.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Interesting to see that, unlike CAF, Stadler appear to be able to apply the international vehicle numbers in the correct format!

A 350 can do that - and a FLIRT on the overhead too. Looks like they've been reined in for the third rail to me.

I was at Liverpool South Parkway yesterday evening and yes those 350s really do get going (Changed there onto an EMR 158 which was glacial in comparison, although not the slowest even in itself)

LedshamJct

Don’t think that video really shows the acceleration.
this is an earlier test where it positively flies off the mark

Specs wise the 777’s aren’t quite the fastest accelerators, and they may even get rated down a bit to avoid bowling twirlies over, but they’re a heck of an improvement.
The Hooton-Helsby branch has always been limited to 55mph overall, and the curves to the junctions at each end to 30mph. The 30 limit to Hooton Junction starts about 3/4 mile from Little Sutton station so no point in racing starts, especially if the junction home distant signal is showing caution. I got the impression at the time that the driver didn't get past the first notch on the controller, and could coast down the gradient towards Hooton, the same driving style used with the existing units.

Statto

Established Member
The Hooton-Helsby branch has always been limited to 55mph overall, and the curves to the junctions at each end to 30mph. The 30 limit to Hooton Junction starts about 3/4 mile from Little Sutton station so no point in racing starts, especially if the junction home distant signal is showing caution. I got the impression at the time that the driver didn't get past the first notch on the controller, and could coast down the gradient towards Hooton, the same driving style used with the existing units.

That's on the Chester branch not Hooton-Helsby brancy which only goes as far as Ellesmere Port.

MR-507508

By the way, is this a 777 or is this just a 508/507 running on empty coaching stock?
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/S41395/2020-09-19/detailed
This is definitely an ECS 507/508 running as a 6 Car. The 5H13 move takes place every weeknight and now also on a Saturday evening as a way of swapping the units over between the Northern and Wirral lines. Note the 5D02 move from Hooton to Kirkdale depot every weeknight (which is a 6 Car move which has worked on the Chester line the past few days), this takes place also on Saturday I do believe but is not on the RTT schedule at the moment for some reason.

shakey1961

A couple of pics from Southport at 22:30.

Interesting. Once again speaking with the staff on the station they said it's going to be 4 years till they're running to Southport. Also, there are rumours they're going to have to extend the track and platform towards Marks & Spencer. As you can see, it arrived at Platform 2 and while at the barrier looking at my phone it informed me I could connect to Stadler WiFi! No internet access obviously, but at least the WiFi is working.

DSC_3195.JPGDSC_3196.JPG

Energy

Established Member
Will the 507s be able to work for 4 more years without work done to them? If they require work then I doubt Angel will pay for the work.

urbophile

Established Member
The specific issue if I recall is 8-car units at Southport due to signal positions. That won't preclude them entering service on other lines.
It won't preclude four car units running to Southport either. Maybe they will just keep a couple of 507/8s for peak hours. But why did nobody think of this years ago?

Skie

It won't preclude four car units running to Southport either. Maybe they will just keep a couple of 507/8s for peak hours. But why did nobody think of this years ago?
They did, and it’s been part of the contingency planning for a long while.

Geeves

Established Member
If the usual railway gossip is anything to go by, you can expect the total opposite of what has been said and the Southport line will end up being the first to see 777s regularly albeit in 4 car for the time being.

Ribbleman

14 x Class 507s are to be kept for a while so that should take care of peak hour requirements until the situation at Southport is resolved.

shakey1961

Can I ask if anyone knows if any 8 car sets have been tested on the whole network? I doubt it, but if so, have any come to Southport?

shakey1961

You mean a 777 and a 508? On the face of it, I'd say no as the couplings are totally different. There would need to be some coupling adapter produced and I don't see the point in that.