• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

MR-507508

The sidings at Southport see regular use especially if the platforms need to be cleared overnight for whatever reason.
Why would the platforms at Southport need to be cleared overnight?
I guess engineering work but I notice units are often cleared from the platforms at Southport on a regular basis.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesst

Why would the platforms at Southport need to be cleared overnight?
I guess engineering work but I notice units are often cleared from the platforms at Southport on a regular basis.

Any overnight possessions for engineering work at the Southport end generally include up to the buffers for platforms 1 to 3 as protection limits meaning the platforms have to be clear of units.
In addition 1 platform is generally kept clear overnight throughout the autumn/winter for the mpv diagram.

New Brighton/West Kirby also have the same buffer protection during work meaning some imaginative stabling during nighttime engineering on the Wirral.

TrainTube

Does anyone know what the circumstances of entering service will be? IE will Merseyrail wait until all units are delivered and tested or will they ease them in service. I know several units have been doing testing for a while.

Vespa

Established Member
Does anyone know what the circumstances of entering service will be? IE will Merseyrail wait until all units are delivered and tested or will they ease them in service. I know several units have been doing testing for a while.
The ideal would be one in one out, the issue is staff training.

Very much like when 507/8 were taking over from 502/3, it was a gradual process the last old train ran in 1985 I believe if this video is anything to go by, there's a pretty good chance 507/8 will be around for a few years yet.

Vespa

Established Member
Reuse Birkenhead Car shed?
You mean the old one at Birkenhead Central ? It would require a lot of work and checking third rail power rail to see if it's still ok, it's doable just require a bit of money, I've looked at it myself, the roof looks dangerous, if it can be made into an open air depot fan it could be easier to set up.

Ribbleman

You mean the old one at Birkenhead Central ? It would require a lot of work and checking third rail power rail to see if it's still ok, it's doable just require a bit of money, I've looked at it myself, the roof looks dangerous, if it can be made into an open air depot fan it could be easier to set up.
Although the sidings are still in I don't think that they are connected to the running lines.

Vespa

Established Member
Although the sidings are still in I don't think that they are connected to the running lines.
It's been a while, I'm pretty sure there is a physical connection, checking on Google maps, it does look to be connected, I'll have to have a look next time, unless somebody else nearby is able to look and report back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-11-27-21-10-56.png
    Screenshot_2020-11-27-21-10-56.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 127

jamesst

It's been a while, I'm pretty sure there is a physical connection, checking on Google maps, it does look to be connected, I'll have to have a look next time, unless somebody else nearby is able to look and report back.

They're all connected. But with no juice rails and under a shed that's in a dangerous condition.

Vespa

Established Member
They're all connected. But with no juice rails and under a shed that's in a dangerous condition.
It's a big job to clear the shed and turn it into an open air storage using shunters, by the time it's done, all of the 777 will have arrived before then.

jamesst

They were still there last time I was in there about 12-18 months ago

Possible they might still be place further back in the shed, I havent been in there in a long time. But outside and by the entrance they've all been disconnected and lifted to one side long ago

Liverpool 507

It's a big job to clear the shed and turn it into an open air storage using shunters, by the time it's done, all of the 777 will have arrived before then.

The 777s can move into the sheds at Kirkdale and Birkenhead North under their own power, whereas the 507/8s have to be pushed in by an assisting unit.

jamesst

The 777s can move into the sheds at Kirkdale and Birkenhead North under their own power, whereas the 507/8s have to be pushed in by an assisting unit.

No they don't. 507s/508s are driven into the sheds at North daily, once they're off the juice its up to the driver to coast to the correct stopping point. Red faces all round if you don't make it!!
However to come out of the shed they need to be coupled to another unit on the outside before being driven out.

Skie

Do all the 777's have batteries?
Yes, depot batteries for short moves.

Not sure how long they can sit off the 3rd rail for, so long term storage without power is probably not a consideration. Could probably rent a generator to provide a shore supply for much cheaper than reinstating any 3rd rail! But the shed itself would need to be made safe, either way.

Turbo004

Thanks it appears to be running as this https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R03063/2020-12-16/detailed

Followed by https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R03064/2020-12-16/detailed to Kirkdale.
777001 is being dropped at Crewe with 777016 and 777018 continuing to Merseyside.
I was lucky enough to be at Crewe station today working. At one point I saw 777001, 777016 and 777018 coupled together on the non platform line between platform 11 and 12 stationary.
Later I saw 777016 and 777018 heading North being hauled by 66784 with a rather grubby 66 on the rear. They passed through platform 12.

mpb56125

Start date put back Delays mean no date for new Merseyrail trains to start running - Liverpool Echo

Merseytravel is unable to confirm when the new Merseyrail fleet will enter service as delays linked to the coronavirus pandemic continue.

The new trains were originally due to enter service in the autumn but that plan was ditched after construction and delivery of the trains were hit by delays linked to lockdown and coronavirus restrictions.

The fleet is being built by Stadler at a factory in Switzerland before being transported to Merseyside for testing.

A spokeswoman for Merseytrave l said continued uncertainty around the pandemic meant there was no new date for the trains to enter service yet.

The spokeswoman said: “We had hoped to be in a position towards the end of this year to give more clarity about when we might start to see our new trains come into service.

“Unfortunately, as there is still so much uncertainty surrounding the pandemic and what might happen over the next 3 to 6 months we are not able to do so at this time.

“While we appreciate this is disappointing news, we are doing everything we can to put a revised schedule in place.”

“Our focus is on driving this project forward and we hope to provide further updates regarding the introduction of the new trains as soon as possible.”

The spokeswoman said that work linked to the rollout was continuing, with power upgrades necessary to run the trains due for completion in the new year.

The new trains are being bought by the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority at a cost of £460m.

There will eventually be 52 new trains on the Merseyrail network, with the new fleet offering more capacity and better facilities.

will no longer need a ramp to get on the train, with the trains having a step that extends out and meets the platform.

There will also be onboard Wifi and charging points.

Mark

mpb56125

Don't know the numbers but an associate of mine noted that there are now 777s visible at Walton Old Jn M.S.C. sidings South of Warrington Bank Quay this morning

Should be 007 & 005.

Mark
mark5812 (smugmug.com)

Last edited: