• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail-Sandhills IECC-future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR-507508

Has anyone heard any news about the closure of Sandhills IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre), which controls the majority of the signalling for the Merseyrail network.

I saw it listed on another site as planned signalling alterations in 2020, with the areas signalling being relocated to West Coast North Regional Operations Centre in Manchester.

Does anyone know if this is correct and if so when this year this is planned to take place?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesst

Closure dates for nearly all the signalling centres have been significantly pushed back. Last I heard Sandhills and Chester were due around 2022, dont be at all surprised when that date is changed again though.

Sunset route

The 2012 (with the last update I could find 2015) migration plan, may it RIP, as it long since failed to live up to its timescale and scope that it promised.

Half my ASCs 9 panels should of migrated by August 2017 and the remaining 4 TBA but somewhere between 2019 and 2024 (control period 6). As it stands 9 panels have become 10 and there are no short or medium plans for anything to migrate now. The long term plans are only someone’s expenses station and major junctions remodelling & rebuilding pipe dream that may involve some panels migrating.

Other then finishing off control period 5 migrating plans I’ve seen nothing new added to the list of actual migrations either locally or nationally (but there must be some, so I expect to be corrected).

headshot119

Established Member
No plans for Sandhills to close, though they are renewing the workstation interface in the next couple of years.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I can't see how it makes sense to move something relating to Merseyrail to outside of it. As a self-contained network it might as well be signalled on that basis too.

Geeves

Established Member
There's a lot of savings that can be made by having everything in the ROC. For what it's worth the current MerseyRail IECC could be located in Timbuktu as it's not as if they can currently see (or need to) the trains they are controlling, except via the computer terminal.

jamesst

There's a lot of savings that can be made by having everything in the ROC. For what it's worth the current MerseyRail IECC could be located in Timbuktu as it's not as if they can currently see (or need to) the trains they are controlling, except via the computer terminal.

Spot on, the current centre at Sandhills has no view of the railway unless you go outside!!

Djgr

Established Member
I can't see how it makes sense to move something relating to Merseyrail to outside of it. As a self-contained network it might as well be signalled on that basis too.

Indeed. If it ain't broke (like much of the railway in the North) why fix it?

Elecman

Established Member
It’s is no more likely to close than West Midlands Signalling Centre is, they are local to thier area of political control.

Status
Not open for further replies.