• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink M5000 Fleet Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
ne piece of clear vinyl with a bit of water behind it is easier to sort than all of those spots needing to be replaced individually surely?
Easier - yes. Cheaper - probably not.
Different budgets. A lot of the advert liveries aren’t even paid for by TfGM…
But is the pride livery an advertising livery or something cooked up by TfGM? If it's the latter, it shows broken priorities. The older trams running around looking uncared for isn't a good look in any books.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

507 001

Established Member
Easier - yes. Cheaper - probably not.

But is the pride livery an advertising livery or something cooked up by TfGM? If it's the latter, it shows broken priorities. The older trams running around looking uncared for isn't a good look in any books.

I imagine it probably is cheaper. It’s a much less complicated piece of vinyl, presumably with less wastage.

On the latter point, I believe it is both.

MCR247

Established Member
I think pretty much any organisation these days sees pride liveries/promotions as an easy PR win, and realistically it probably won’t even come out of the same budget as day to day upkeep of the other trams.

Mothball

Given the uncertainty around Burnhams new franchised bus network and from the following quote

"the ‘Bee Network’ but he said in future that would be the name for the entirety of Greater Manchester’s transport system, featuring black-and-yellow branding and contactless payments.
That would mean that all modes of public transport, including the planned bike hire scheme and newly-franchised buses, would have the same livery, likely to match the Metrolink."

Makes me wonder if the Metrolink livery is going to be modified into a yellow and black style. Or if it is at least being considered meaning there isn't any point in spending on the current livery. If it does change presumably the older vehicles will be the first treated.

507 001

Established Member
Given the uncertainty around Burnhams new franchised bus network and from the following quote

"the ‘Bee Network’ but he said in future that would be the name for the entirety of Greater Manchester’s transport system, featuring black-and-yellow branding and contactless payments.
That would mean that all modes of public transport, including the planned bike hire scheme and newly-franchised buses, would have the same livery, likely to match the Metrolink."

Makes me wonder if the Metrolink livery is going to be modified into a yellow and black style. Or if it is at least being considered meaning there isn't any point in spending on the current livery. If it does change presumably the older vehicles will be the first treated.

We’ve been told there will be something of a rebrand in around 2 years, which coincidentally is when the first M5000s will be reaching midlife.

507 001

Established Member
3132 now in service. Out on Rochdale-East Didsbury today as half of a double unit.

Established Member
3132 now in service. Out on Rochdale-East Didsbury today as half of a double unit.
Was it running with one of the other new ones? Is there a reason why the new trams have specifically been running Rochdale - East Didsbury? All the ones I’ve seen above 3121 have been.

RockemSockem

Apparently, the last trams in the order list have been adjusted and are referred to as “phase 4” vehicles.

This comes after the announcement of funding which covers tram/train operations.

507 001

Established Member
Was it running with one of the other new ones? Is there a reason why the new trams have specifically been running Rochdale - East Didsbury? All the ones I’ve seen above 3121 have been.

No it was with an older vehicle. Not sure which one.
They do actually spend plenty of time on the other Non-ATS lines too. Yesterday 121 and 122 were out on the Trafford Centre line for example. I’ve had plenty of mileage on them on Eccles-Ashton too.

They are initially put into service from QRD however, and as QRD mainly provides sets for the Bury and Rochdale lines, it’s highly likely that they’ll spend their first few days on Rochdale.

Apparently, the last trams in the order list have been adjusted and are referred to as “phase 4” vehicles.

This comes after the announcement of funding which covers tram/train operations.

That’s a new one to me, where did you hear that?

507 001

Established Member
Thanks for that. I thought that these phases would be M5000 specific.

The ‘Phases’ relates to which bit of the system they were built for :) The M5000s being built (originally) for the phase 3 lines. That’s also why they’re numbered 3xxx.

Mothball

Seen from photos on Facebook, 3024 has returned to service after just over a year at Queens Road depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.