• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metropolitan Line Extension (MLX/Croxley Rail Link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
good point, and it is a shovel ready project, but still can't see it happening though.

More ready than most, but I wouldn’t say shovel ready. Since it has been officially cancelled, I’m not sure what the status of the TWA is, not if all the land has been retained (or even purchased).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kwrail

I realise that TFL doesn't have any money, and that the Metropolitan Line extension is not going to happen any time soon. Especially in the current climate. But does anyone understand how the estimate for the extension ended up at £284 million? For 3.5 miles of track, where apart from the viaduct at Croxley the trackbed already existed, and only two new stations were required. I assume that additional rolling stock was factored into the total, but it does seem a lot.

Mikey C

Established Member
The new stock has already been bought and entered service too, so we end up with the unfortunate situation where the Met has additional trains for an extension that has been cancelled, whereas the Northern has no new trains for an extension (Battersea) that is going ahead.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
They could do worse than elect the young, dynamic LibDem, Luisa Porritt.

And a lot better too...

I admit she's not as bad as Siobhan Benita, who had been due to be the LibDem candidate for Mayor until the election was delayed; I met the latter when she stood as an independent mayoral candidate back in 2012 (she came to promote herself at a meeting I was involved in), and she was seriously unimpressive (at least for any positive reasons). I don't have direct experience of Luisa Porritt, but I live in Camden (where she's a councillor) - and follow local issues quite closely - and I haven't noticed either her or the Camden LibDems arouse my interest lately...

Putting together considerations of policy and competence, I have no enthuisasm for any of the 3 main party candidates for London Mayor. (The Green Party one on the other hand... is a bit more sensible.) If I wasn't already ill-disposed towards the Tory candidate, his ill-informed remarks about the Met's Watford Extension [actually, diversion of course, not extension...], as reported here, would have done for him anyway.

philthetube

Established Member
Putting together considerations of policy and competence, I have no enthuisasm for any of the 3 main party candidates for London Mayor. (The Green Party one on the other hand... is a bit more sensible.) If I wasn't already ill-disposed towards the Tory candidate, his ill-informed remarks about the Met's Watford Extension [actually, diversion of course, not extension...], as reported here, would have done for him anyway.
to be fair, it would be both

rebmcr

Established Member
I have no enthuisasm for any of the 3 main party candidates for London Mayor. (The Green Party one on the other hand... is a bit more sensible.)

Have they dropped the ridiculous idea to merge zones 2-6 into one massive Zone 2?

Triumph

The new stock has already been bought and entered service too, so we end up with the unfortunate situation where the Met has additional trains for an extension that has been cancelled, whereas the Northern has no new trains for an extension (Battersea) that is going ahead.
The same thing happened in the 1960's when the Met had enough A stock built to run to Aylesbury, which did'nt happen and left them with a lot of spare stock.

Dstock7080

Established Member
The same thing happened in the 1960's when the Met had enough A stock built to run to Aylesbury, which did'nt happen and left them with a lot of spare stock.
Electrification to Aylesbury was never proposed.
Additional A Stock were ordered to replace older trains on Uxbridge services and to standardise fleet

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
And it's not really in the purvew of the London government to encourage shopping in Watford. The real benefit of the scheme was to greatly improve access to Watford from places like Amersham and Aylesbury which are not in London . . .

. . . The deal Boris Johnson did for TfL was terrible. Not only did it place London taxpayers on the line for a significant amount of the cost . Most of Watford councils contribution was inkinded through land deals that were overvalued together with a requirement that fare box revenue went to watford council for stations on the metropolitan line extension until Watford councils contribution was related.
Correct
More that the DfT should find the majority of the project and strengthen the business case for the project by running Chiltern services from the Amersham direction to Watford
Absolutely. No-one in London would complain if this mooted extension was financed by Hertfordshire Council!

D365

Veteran Member
I’ve read that the additional S8 unit is being/will be utilised in the post-upgrade timetable.

Dstock7080

Established Member
I’ve read that the additional S8 unit is being/will be utilised in the post-upgrade timetable.
There wasn’t an additional S8 as production had already finished.
An extra S7 (21567/68) was ordered and an S7+1 train already running on the MET was kept.

D365

Veteran Member
There wasn’t an additional S8 as production had already finished.
An extra S7 (21567/68) was ordered and an S7+1 train already running on the MET was kept.

Apologies, said S7+1 is the unit that I was inferring.

kwrail

So effectively TFL get an extra unit at no expense. The project was canned with very little work actually done, other than clearing the permanent way and some service realignment in Croxley. But the project managed to spend £130million before being stopped. Architects and design plans would have consumed a fair amount. But S7s are around £8-10million each.

So where did all the money go?

mr_jrt

Established Member
There were some utility diversions in Croxley to prepare for the viaduct, but otherwise yes, British waste at its finest. Made all the more galling by the ludicrous sums now being thrown around on waste and we've missed yet another major opportunity for want of squabbling over a few million pounds.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
But they do/did have plans for it in the post-upgrade timetable.

I don't recall there being any plans for it as part of timetable uplifts; in the immediate future it will rotate around the SSR as a cover train for S stock going for overhaul (currently it remains on the Met which has a handful of long term OOS units).

Mikey C

Established Member
But they do/did have plans for it in the post-upgrade timetable.
They'll obviously use it, but clearly don't need it, as otherwise there wouldn't be enough stock for a post-upgrade uplift AND the Watford Junction extension

DavyCrocket

I don't recall there being any plans for it as part of timetable uplifts; in the immediate future it will rotate around the SSR as a cover train for S stock going for overhaul (currently it remains on the Met which has a handful of long term OOS units).
They did add the station cells to the radio network. LOL

bluegoblin7

Established Member
They did add the station cells to the radio network. LOL
Not the actual cells, just channels that the cells could be allocated to. It was done as part of a wider tranche of changes to Connect, and was some logical joined up thinking. Similarly, Watford Junction CIS codes (and announcements) were provided on the S stock as part of another update - it's still possible to put trains 'up' as a Watford Junction.

THC

The government is to be asked to reconsider funding the dormant Croxley Rail link extension to the Metropolitan line in Watford, as part of its plans to support “shovel ready” projects. The railway extension was cancelled in 2016 after costs soared and the Mayor of London was unwilling to pick up the additional costs of a project that was still uncertain what the final bill would come to...
A long shot, but one never knows...

THC

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.