• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MG11 travel from wrong station

Status
Not open for further replies.

dansouth

Hi all - first time poster here and hoping someone can help me with an issue - and calm my nerves more than anything.
this morning I travelled to Victoria from Borough Green. My ticket was purchased from Otford, where I do often travel from.
I collected my ticket at borough green and then travelled in. At Victoria, my ticket didn’t work in the barrier and a rail guard checked everything out. Originally I stated I travelled from Otford - scared and nervous knowing my ticket said Otford. After a couple of mins of conversation, I stated I came from borough green and usually I would travel from Otford where the mistake occurred. I was interviewed and given an MG11 where I shared much the same as above.
I’m really worried now at the unknown. It’s my first offence and I’m an honest guy - what will happen. They just shared I’ll be written to in 4-6 weeks but if I want to “get ahead of it” to write to the address on the MG11.
Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
If you haven’t come to the attention of the railway for previous violations, most likely you’ll end up being asked to pay an administrative settlement of about £80, plus perhaps the fare avoided of £4.80 from Borough Green & Wrotham to Otford, to make the matter go away.

I know you may wish to “get it over with” quickly but in nearly every case it works out best to wait for them to contact you.

dansouth

If you haven’t come to the attention of the railway for previous violations, most likely you’ll end up being asked to pay an administrative settlement of about £80, plus perhaps the fare avoided of £4.80 from Borough Green & Wrotham to Otford, to make the matter go away.

I know you may wish to “get it over with” quickly but in nearly every case it works out best to wait for them to contact you.

yeah I get that I guess my impatience and wanting it to go away because I’ll worry until it happens. Just read so many stories on here about where people have had large fines court criminal record etc.

furlong

Established Member
How did you pay for the ticket and buy it? Credit card? Online or mobile app account? Might you done this same thing before?

The company might deal with it as a one-off, but alternatively they might investigate whatever records they can obtain to see if that suggests it's worth inviting you to an interview to explain any unusual data they find, such as similar tickets connected to the same account or credit card collected from a different station from where they are valid at a similar time of day.

As Island suggests though, the train company in this area does usually seem open to settling out-of-court - even if they find it's happened repeatedly - when people own up to their mistakes and reimburse them any fare(s) lost and their costs involved in investigating it.

dansouth

How did you pay for the ticket and buy it? Credit card? Online or mobile app account? Might you done this same thing before?

The company might deal with it as a one-off, but alternatively they might investigate whatever records they can obtain to see if that suggests it's worth inviting you to an interview to explain any unusual data they find, such as similar tickets connected to the same account or credit card collected from a different station from where they are valid at a similar time of day.

As Island suggests though, the train company in this area does usually seem open to settling out-of-court - even if they find it's happened repeatedly - when people own up to their mistakes and reimburse them any fare(s) lost and their costs involved in investigating it.

bought through app on my account. Usually use the key generallytravel from both borough green or Otford depending on time of day etc. Last minute rush this morning set me to autopilot. Investigating it there would be two or three stations of choice,but always the correct one. Me in a panic this morning (usually buy ticket night before) booked the wrong station :(
Thanks for all your comments

Status
Not open for further replies.