• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Diamond Bus East Midlands (was Midland Classic of Burton)

cnjb8

Established Member
Hello everyone,
Midland Classic have changed their fleetname style.
They are also going for route branding with the Enviro 200s painted for X12 and Optare MetroCitys being painted for 9.
I thought I would create this thread for Midland Classic discussion. Sorry if this is already a thread.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Looks like a nice refresh but I think 63 was one of the buses in the heritage liverys which is a bit of a shame.

Also nice to see some route branding appearing like the solos for the 2 and E200 on the x12 but for the airline9 I feel it may not work as well as I think a lot of the time the 9 interworks with most of the other routes during the day time.

cnjb8

Established Member
Looks like a nice refresh but I think 63 was one of the buses in the heritage liverys which is a bit of a shame.

Also nice to see some route branding appearing like the solos for the 2 and E200 on the x12 but for the airline9 I feel it may not work as well as I think a lot of the time the 9 interworks with most of the other routes during the day time.
I forgot about the Solos!
I hope the branding works well for them and the new fleetname is a big improvement

bussnapperwm

Established Member
If I'm honest, I'm not too keen on the new logo. I think I prefer the old logo as it's more clearer personally

Established Member
I forgot about the Solos!
I hope the branding works well for them and the new fleetname is a big improvement
I hope so as well. The extension to the airport on the 9 is a really good idea. Could it have the potential to become something like the skylink ie 24/7 or almost?

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I hope so as well. The extension to the airport on the 9 is a really good idea. Could it have the potential to become something like the skylink ie 24/7 or almost?

It's been running for some time now, usually with just 1-2 on board. Now that far fewer flights will be departing, and probably fewer staff employed at EMA, I'm not sure the 9 extension will have a bright future.

Established Member
It's been running for some time now, usually with just 1-2 on board. Now that far fewer flights will be departing, and probably fewer staff employed at EMA, I'm not sure the 9 extension will have a bright future.
Shame but by the looks of things they are going to give it a good go with the metrocitys being branded up.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
There is some support from one of the local authorities (South Derbyshire I think) so that may not last long.
Midland Classic did run the 9 to the airport a few years ago, but this latest attempt looks more professional at least.

Andy Pacer

Established Member

63 wasn't the best adaptation of the heritage livery, and one of the managers has said on social media that heritage liveries are for old buses, and that the business is now about the future, which is good. Maybe they need to drop 'Classic' from the name!!

Established Member
There is some support from one of the local authorities (South Derbyshire I think) so that may not last long.
Midland Classic did run the 9 to the airport a few years ago, but this latest attempt looks more professional at least.
I never knew about the first attempt but this attempt does look professionaland well advertised like on the website and now route branding.
63 wasn't the best adaptation of the heritage livery, and one of the managers has said on social media that heritage liveries are for old buses, and that the business is now about the future, which is good. Maybe they need to drop 'Classic' from the name!!
True but I wouldn't think heritage liverys are for old buses.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I never knew about the first attempt but this attempt does look professionaland well advertised like on the website and now route branding.

True but I wouldn't think heritage liverys are for old buses.
All entitled to our opinion. I think the other thought was the Burton Corporation livery didn't suit the Enviro too well.
I think most would agree the Stevensons Scania looks great though!

M60lad

With Midlands Classic it does help in some ways that the owner/manager is a well known enthusiast himself, I've been on a few Midland Classic vehicles in the past and they all seem well looked after and drivers are smartly turned out and can be quite friendly and helpful.

Established Member
Midland Classic have announced some service increases/changes to timetables from next Monday. I think some of the changes were due to be implemented around Easter but have been delayed. In particular the changes around the 8 and 9 to remove route 3 and also the increase on the 10.

1 - Continue to be hourly between Burton and Eton Park Monday to Friday
2 - 30 min Weekday and hourly Saturday service between Burton and Edge Hill
4 - Hourly Weekday between Burton and Swadlincote with peak services to Woodville
8 - 30 min Weekday and hourly Saturday service, change of route in Horninglow, Links with the 9 to provide a 15 min service between the Hospital and Winshill.
9 - 30 min Weekday (hourly to Airport) and hourly Weekend service, change of route in Horninglow and extended to East Midlands Gateway on weekdays and some journeys at weekends. Also new 0305 Burton to Airport service and 0415 return. Links with the 8 to provide a 15 min service between the Hospital and Winshill.
10 - Every 30 min Monday to Saturday
11 - 2 journeys Monday to Friday
17 - hourly Monday to Friday
18 - hourly Monday to Friday
19 - hourly Monday to Friday, 2 hourly Saturday
21 - 30 min Monday to Friday and hourly on Saturdays
21E - no change
22 - 2 hourly Monday to Friday
24 - 2 hourly Monday to Friday
401 - hourly Monday to Friday, 2 hourly Saturday
402a - 5-6 Journeys Monday to Saturday
406 - 30 min Monday to Friday, 3 journeys Saturday
X12 - returns to every 30 min Monday to Saturday
812 - every hour Monday to Friday
811 - every 2 hours Saturday
821/822 - Both every 30 min Monday to Friday

M60lad

Will the 9 be back to having Metrocity's on it again from next week rather than the deckers and various vehicles its had on it recently?

Established Member
Will the 9 be back to having Metrocity's on it again from next week rather than the deckers and various vehicles its had on it recently?
It's possible but I would assume some Deckers will still be around to help with capacity where needed.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
It's possible but I would assume some Deckers will still be around to help with capacity where needed.
They're running a near normal Monday to Friday service so I would assume allocations will be near normal too.
The only differences will be no schools, so some deckers will be available on other work.

Established Member
They're running a near normal Monday to Friday service so I would assume allocations will be near normal too.
The only differences will be no schools, so some deckers will be available on other work.
The schooldays/non schooldays allocations can be different as the morning 401 to Burton that I sometimes see is a SD on schooldays and DD in the holidays. I know before the reduced timetables only 5/6 Deckers would be out on a Saturday. Not to sure if this would be a similar amount for school holidays.

Established Member
From Bustimes.org today it looks like the 9 is fully single deck with all but one of the circuits operated by the MetroCity's.

Established Member
More changes from Monday with most services increasing in frequency or returning. Amazingly Winshill now gets 8 buses an hour on weekdays.

1 - increased to every 30 min Monday to Saturday
2 - 15 min Weekday and 30 min Saturday service between Burton and Edge Hill
3 - returns between Burton and Winshill every 15 min Monday to Friday off peak. Linked with the 8 & 9 its a bus every 7-8 mins!
4 - Saturday service added
8 & 9 - Current Monday to Friday service becomes Monday to Saturday.
11, 17, 18 returns to hourly Monday to Saturday.
19 - returns to hourly on Saturdays
21 - returns to 30 min on Saturdays
21E - no change
22 & 24 - Saturday service returns
401 - hourly Monday to Saturday
402, 403 - returns largely to the old timetable
406 - 30 min Monday to Saturday
812 - every hour Monday to Saturday
821/822 - Saturday service reintroduced with a break at lunchtime

Andy Pacer

Established Member
From what I gather they've been struggling with social distancing through Winshill and the risk of leaving people behind. Now the 9 runs via Winshill I suppose the buses would already be busier with passengers for Ashby on board as well.

Will be interesting to see if the combined Winshill frequency remains the same going forward.

Established Member
From what I gather they've been struggling with social distancing through Winshill and the risk of leaving people behind. Now the 9 runs via Winshill I suppose the buses would already be busier with passengers for Ashby on board as well.

Will be interesting to see if the combined Winshill frequency remains the same going forward.
Looking at the changes PDF again it does say the 3 is reintroduced for social distancing. I can't say anything on the loading but looking bus times.org the 9 is in the hands of the metrocitys and the 8 has E200s.

While it doesn't look like the 3 will be around for long other changes that will be interesting to see if they remain is the increase in frequency on the 1 and 10 although the former helps to provide a 15 min service along Waterloo street. I think the 15 min service on the 2 may stay around a bit longer.

cnjb8

Established Member
Midland Classic have purchased the six Scania K250UB/Irizar i3 vehicles owned by Reading Buses. Looks like it’s goodbye for the Solars.

Established Member
Midland Classic have purchased the six Scania K250UB/Irizar i3 vehicles owned by Reading Buses. Looks like it’s goodbye for the Solars.
Interesting. I does look like the Solars are on the way out. YN17ONH has appeared today on the bus times tracker today with fleet number 16. Also shows 34 being in the updated livery.

Established Member
The third ex Reading Scania YN17 ONG (fleet number 15) has entered service today after repaint.

Other vehicles that have been repainted include ex Ipswich Versa 20 and Enviro 200 34.

Established Member
Scania 19 has entered service in plain red.

Timetables will be changing on the 31st with the 3 being removed and the loop in Winshill covered by the 18. Also most routes will have a reduced Saturday service due to driver availability to ensure the weekday services are covered.

This weekend will also be a Heritage weekend for Midland Classic being 15 years of the company and 95 years of Stevensons of Uttoxeter. To celebrate there will be free heritage buses on route 21 on Saturday (every 10 mins) and 401 on Sunday (every 10 mins to Tutbury and hourly to Spath). Info from the website: Heritage Weekend | Midland Classic
Heritage Weekend

On Saturday 28 August we are celebrating the 15th year of operation in the area of Midland Classic by running an intense heritage operation on our original route, the 21 between Swadlincote and Burton. These journeys will operate in addition to the standard timetable which will be running

On Sunday 29 August we are celebrating 95 years since John Stevenson set up his bus business in Uttoxeter by running buses on the original route between Uttoxeter and Burton via Tutbury, which is still run by us today as route 401. Hourly buses will run to Uttoxeter with buses extending to the original garage site in Spath for photo opportunities. Buses up to every 10 minutes will also run between the garage, Burton and Tutbury offering interchange at Beam Hill in both direction.

Various different bus types will be in operation on both days and most of them represent the types of buses operated by both companies over the years. A fair few are also restored in Stevensons livery.

Most buses are privately owned and restored and we thank the vehicle owners for bringing them to our event. We respectfully ask that you look after the buses whilst travelling on them bearing in mind the many hours of work involved and money spent on them. As they are heritage buses most of them do not have accommodation for wheelchair users or buggies. Our buses will also be running a normal timetable on route 21 with low floor buses, standard fares are payable on those as well as those on the rest of our network.

Timetables for what we intend to operate across the two days with additional bus working numbers can be found here.

Individual vehicles will be posted on the days.

All buses are operating free of charge on both days.

Garage open day
On Sunday 29 August there will also be a static display of buses at our garage on Wetmore Road which you are welcome to attend. Opening times are 11am to 4pm. There is no parking at or around the garage site so please, if coming by car use one of the many town centre parking locations and catch one of the free buses on route 401 to and from the garage. Please do not come to the garage on Saturday 28 August as we will be operating a normal bus service and there will be too many vehicle movements to make it safe.

We hope you find much to interest you over the two days.

Midland Classic Ltd

Wyrleybart

Established Member
A colleague went to the event and sent me some piccies. There was some nice kit there in my view, but I guess it is common on the preservation scene.

Established Member
Had a trip from Tutbury to Burton and back on the heritage 401 on Sunday. All in all a nice morning out and a good selection of vehicles in use and on display in the depot. Some of the photos are attached below.

Going round the depot I noticed some of the Enviro 400's had fleet names removed and at least one had no destination blind. Could these be the next vehicles to leave the fleet and then the Scania Solar's stay on?
IMG_20210829_110732.jpgIMG_20210829_110742.jpgIMG_20210829_110841.jpgIMG_20210829_111322.jpgIMG_20210829_111440.jpgIMG_20210829_112642.jpgIMG_20210829_112947.jpgIMG_20210829_120733.jpgIMG_20210829_110742.jpgIMG_20210829_111642.jpg

Going round the depot I noticed some of the Enviro 400's had fleet names removed and at least one had no destination blind. Could these be the next vehicles to leave the fleet and then the Scania Solar's stay on?

Yes I had it confirmed by Mr Boddice himself that 91-93 are due to leave the fleet.

Solar 77 has had a mechanical failure, hence it being located in the ‘naughty corner‘ with withdrawn DAF 46 and Solo 30. Also, Scania Olympus 51 is for sale via Chartwell Bus Sales, so can be assumed to be leaving, and Omnidekka 56 left for Connexions Buses on Sunday. What else leaves now is anyone’s guess, but one would assume that loaned Scania Solar 221 will be one of the next candidates. Interesting that they are using the Irizar’s to have some sense of standardisation.

Link to Chartwell’s listing of 51 for sale below