• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Missing Freightliner driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherJ

Was the Freightliner driver, Andrew Derrett, who walked out of Wembley yard mid-shift and was never seen or heard again ever found?

It's been about 2-3 years since and I never found out if he was ever located.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
Good question. I remember the missing person notices from the time, but never heard any more.

Am I imagining it or wasn't there another Driver who went missing around the same time?

ChristopherJ

He was one of the regular Freightliner drivers in my area, I used see him all the time with Liners through Stratford, I never knew him personally but the instant I saw his photo I recognised him.

Here's the latest info I can find on him.

Suffolk Police said: Andrew Derrett, a 51-year-old Ipswich man, is white, 5ft 8in, heavy build, with shoulder length hair and stubble. He has tattoos on both arms including the name Beverley, a dagger, and a love heart. He was last seen wearing black jeans, a short dark coat, and black boots. Enquiries are ongoing to locate Andrew and anyone who has seen him, knows of his whereabouts, or has seen a male matching his description should contact us on 101.'
Police are able to issue a more recent image of a 51-year-old Ipswich man who has gone missing.

Andrew Derrett was reported as missing to police on Tuesday 11 December.

He was last seen at his work address in Wembley, London earlier the same day and has not been seen since.

Last edited by a moderator:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I found this dated 17 August 2020:
They still sit in wait of news, be it good or bad, of their loved ones who vanished into thin air many years ago.
Another of Suffolk’s missing people is Andrew Derrett, who was last seen at his workplace in Wembley in 2018....

...Anyone with information on any of the missing person cases should email [email protected].

So according to that article he was still missing 6 months ago.

Undiscovered

Good question. I remember the missing person notices from the time, but never heard any more.

Am I imagining it or wasn't there another Driver who went missing around the same time?
There was. Simon Jenner was found, sadly, a few months later.

greyman42

Established Member
He must of had a decent pension which you cannot access without bringing attention to yourself.

Established Member
Speculative, but I do wonder at the time, given the considerably expansive railway infrastructure within a couple of miles of the depot where he was last seen - whether a thorough (enough) search of the railway was conducted given the limited resources of British Transport Police, and the jurisdictive boundary of the Met Police preventing from them assisting. It's a truly massive area of land - was he an enthusiast? Was he taking photographs? Perhaps curious about old infrastructure? Assume BTP did a search, but this perhaps could do with being repeated, perhaps more thorough, with co-operation from NR and operators.

Rail Ranger

I'm reminded of a case where a man had had to get out of a taxi about ten years ago because he didn't have enough money after a night out. He then went missing. A search was made by the police of a certain radius from where he was dropped off. Nothing was found. His body was found years later just outside the search area (near Northenden Junction).

Ceat0908

Apologies for changing the subject. Does anyone know if the missing Avanti TM based in Liverpool was found? I believe he went missing at the beginning of last year. I did have his name but I cannot remember what it is.

theironroad

Established Member
Apologies for changing the subject. Does anyone know if the missing Avanti TM based in Liverpool was found? I believe he went missing at the beginning of last year. I did have his name but I cannot remember what it is.

It would appear he was Stephan Owen (spelling correct).

Unfortunately, it seems his body was discovered in a Liverpool park on 17/1/20.

That's just from a online search, can't see or know any other details.

Ceat0908

It would appear he was Stephan Owen (spelling correct).

Unfortunately, it seems his body was discovered in a Liverpool park on 17/1/20.

That's just from a online search, can't see or know any other details.
That’s the name. Thank you for that. Terribly sad.

Millisle

Speculative, but I do wonder at the time, given the considerably expansive railway infrastructure within a couple of miles of the depot where he was last seen - whether a thorough (enough) search of the railway was conducted given the limited resources of British Transport Police, and the jurisdictive boundary of the Met Police preventing from them assisting. It's a truly massive area of land - was he an enthusiast? Was he taking photographs? Perhaps curious about old infrastructure? Assume BTP did a search, but this perhaps could do with being repeated, perhaps more thorough, with co-operation from NR and operators.

I am happy to be corrected, but I believe there is no jurisdictive problem: the service responsible can request assistance as required from other services.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I suspect the real issue with the search is that a lot less effort is put in by police when searching for an adult male, compared to a missing child or female.

If they'd used the same resources they use for a missing woman they'd have had a much better chance and might have found him

Astro_Orbiter

I only found out that Andy Derrett was missing some time after the fact and was stunned, lovely guy who helped me out personally a few times. If I remember rightly he was the go to man for enamel pin badges?

Stigy

Established Member
Can't say specifically for this case, but I'd assume it wouldn't have been a BTP case anyway?

Established Member
Can't say specifically for this case, but I'd assume it wouldn't have been a BTP case anyway?
If the last place he was seen was on railway land, it should be BTP as per their jurisdiction however I do note Suffolk Const' put most publicity out. Any police search of railway land would ordinarily (have to) be BTP or BTP-led.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I suspect the real issue with the search is that a lot less effort is put in by police when searching for an adult male, compared to a missing child or female.

If they'd used the same resources they use for a missing woman they'd have had a much better chance and might have found him
The problem is unfortunately with adults, they do have a right to “go missing” and not to be found. Some people have their reasons. Still terribly sad though.

greyman42

Established Member
The problem is unfortunately with adults, they do have a right to “go missing” and not to be found. Some people have their reasons. Still terribly sad though.
I agree but as i said earlier it does seem strange if you have a significant pension pot.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As there have been no further updates in this sad story we are going to lock this thread for now. If anyone becomes aware of any developments in the story then please contact a member of forum staff and we will look to have the thread reopened.

Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.