• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MKT Rail Photos & Videos 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK Tom

Established Member
My January 2022 rail photos are here: https://mkttransportphoto.smugmug.com/2022/January-2022/UK-Rail-January-2022/

This includes:
Saturday 1 January - A day in Chester, going via Crewe.
Friday 7 January - A few photos from a morning visit to London, with an unexpected Avanti stop at Leighton Buzzard on the way back.
Sunday 9 January - A trip to Bradford, going via Rotherham and the Sheffield tram-train, and Leeds, using both the Pudsey and Airedale routes.
Sunday 16 January - Chiltern trains between Aylesbury Vale Parkway and Wendover.
Monday 17 January - Class 67 no. 67001 passing Fenny Stratford, plus views of the new EWR platforms at Bletchley.
Sunday 23 to Monday 24 January - A trip to Brighton, going via London Bridge and Three Bridges.
Thursday 27 January - Photos from south and east London, including Croydon, Crystal Palace, and Canary Wharf.

DSC_0052-XL.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MK Tom

Established Member
My February 2022 rail photos are here: https://mkttransportphoto.smugmug.com/2022/February-2022/UK-Rail-February-2022

This includes:
Wednesday 2 February - Photos from a morning journey from London to Stansted Airport at the start of my trip to Ireland, including my first Class 745 journey and the people mover at Stansted.
Saturday 12 February - A visit to the North Norfolk Railway, also stopping by Whitwell & Reepham station.
Saturday 19 February - Pendolinos at Milton Keynes and Euston in post-storm disruption.
Saturday 25 February - A trip to Runcorn and the Wirral Peninsula, visiting Crewe, Chester, Port Sunlight, New Brighton, West Kirby, and Winsford.

Here's a little video filmed at Winsford and Crewe on the 25th:

I also visited Ireland on the 2nd and 3rd of February, taking in Athlone and Portarlington as well as the Docklands and M3 Parkway lines. Photos are here:

Here's some video of an 071 Class departing Athlone during that trip:

MK Tom

Established Member
My March 2022 rail photos are here: https://mkttransportphoto.smugmug.com/2022/March-2022/UK-Rail-March-2022/

This includes:
Saturday 5 to Monday 8 March - A trip to Brighton and Bristol, largely by car but taking the train from Chichester into Brighton and from Keynsham into Bristol.
Saturday 12 March - A few photos from Birmingham International and Rugby.
Friday 18 March - GBRf no. 92032 being hauled through Fenny Stratford, plus a ride from Bletchley back to Fenny on 230003 with some interesting stock seen out of the window.
Sunday 27 March - A visit to Nottingham, travelling from Collingham and riding the tram out to Toton to see the stored Class 60s there.

DSC_0096-M.jpg

MK Tom

Established Member
My April 2022 rail photos are here: https://mkttransportphoto.smugmug.com/2022/April-2022/UK-Rail-April-2022/

This includes:
Sunday 3 April - A visit to the Leighton Buzzard Narrow Gauge Railway for the first time since the new tunnel opened under the eastern link road.
Wednesday 6 April - A ride from Bletchley to Woburn Sands.
Friday 8 April - A ride from London Liverpool Street to Cheshunt and back, my first Class 720 and possibly last Class 317 ride in normal service.
Saturday 9 April - A combined trip to the Evesham Vale Light Railway and the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway, also including a brief photo stop at Edstone Aqueduct on the Birmingham-Stratford line.
Sunday 10 April - A visit to Bressingham Steam & Gardens, riding all three narrow gauge railways there.
Monday 18 April - A few rail photos taken from the window of my flight from Heathrow to Prague.
Friday 29 April - A couple of photos of the former Midland and South Western Junction Railway at Marlborough, Wiltshire.

Here is some video from the Leighton Buzzard Railway, including the new tunnel:

And here is a short clip of 230005 departing Woburn Sands:

I also visited Prague for a week at the end of April. Photos are still in the process of being captioned - I'll post the link here once they're done.

Last edited:

MK Tom

Established Member
Apparently I never posted my May gallery, so I'll do that now and June tomorrow (just got back from a USA trip that started in June).

My rail photos from May 2022 are here: https://mkttransportphoto.smugmug.com/2022/May-2022

This includes:
Sunday 1 May - Some photos of the former Midland & South Western Joint Railway in Swindon.
Saturday 14 May - A trip to Southend-on-Sea via east London, riding the new battery-powered Southend Pier Railway trains, and the cliff lift.
Wednesday 18 May - A stone train bound for the Bletchley flyover passing Wolverton.
Saturday 21 May - Photos from Hinskey Yard, south of Oxford, and Aylesbury TMD.
Tuesday 24 May - The opening day of the Elizabeth Line. Photos at Paddington, Abbey Wood, Custom House, Canary Wharf, Liverpool Street, and Farringdon.
Thursday 26 May - Photos from London, including two of the rare c2c Class 387s at Limehouse.
Sunday 29 May - A visit to the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre for its bus rally (see bus gallery), including stops to see the East West Rail works at Winslow and Swanbourne.

Some video from the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre visit is here:

MK Tom

Established Member
My June 2022 rail photos are here: https://mkttransportphoto.smugmug.com/2022/June-2022/UK-Rail-June-2022/

This includes:
Thursday 2 June - A trip to the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, taking LNER from London Kings Cross and also visiting Leeds, Shipley, and Ilkley.
Saturday 11 June - A visit to the Statfold Barn Railway for their "Sweet Indian Steam" event, going via Tamworth.
Sunday 12 June - Photos of trains in storage at Long Marston, seen from the road bridge.

Here is some video from the K&WVR visit:

And here is some video from the Statfold Barn Railway "Sweet Indian Steam" gala:

From June 20th onwards I was on a trip to the USA, photos and video from which I'll share shortly.

MK Tom

Established Member
My July 2022 rail photos are here: https://mkttransportphoto.smugmug.com/2022/July-2022/UK-Rail-July-2022

This includes:
Thursday 21 July - A visit to the newly opened Barking Riverside extension of the London Overground.
Saturday 23 July - A journey from St. Pancras to Brighton and from Worthing back to Brighton.
Sunday 31 July - A visit to the private Fawley Hill Railway, built by Sir. William McAlpine on his estate near Henley-on-Thames, followed by a short journey between Marlow and Bourne End.

Some video from the Fawley Hill Railway running day is here:

MK Tom

Established Member
My August 2022 rail photos are here:
This includes:
Friday 5 and Saturday 6 August - A trip to the Somerset & Dorset Railway at Midsomer Norton to ride their Class 107 DMU, followed by visits to the Bath-Trowbridge line, Bristol, Cardiff, and the Penarth branch.
Sunday 7 August - A trip to Bekonscot Model Village, taking the train from Aylesbury and visiting High Wycombe on the way back.
Wednesday 10 and Monday 15 August - A few photos taking during my journeys from Flitwick to Gatwick Airport and back, part of my trip to Tbilisi.
Sunday 21 August - A trip into Oxford, taking the train from Bicester Village, which was operating as a shuttle service due to engineering work.
Friday 26 August - A visit to Wolverton to see the new weekly Locomotive Services Limited Intercity service pass through.
Sunday 28 August - The Northampton & Lamport Railway's August Bank Holiday Gala, featuring a GWR 4575 Class along with three other operational locomotives.

Some video of the 107 in operation at Midsomer Norton is here:

I also did two overseas trips in August, one to Georgia and Latvia:

And the other to Ireland:

Where I filmed operations at the Lartigue Monorail:

MK Tom

Established Member
My September 2022 rail photos are here: https://mkttransportphoto.smugmug.com/2022/September-2022/UK-Rail-September-2022/

This includes:
Sunday 11 September - A trip to Derby, including a walk around the Bombardier works, stopping in Kettering and Leicester.
Wednesday 14 September - The Network Rail New Measurement Train passing Bradwell.
Thursday 15 September - A ride into London and back on the Locomotive Services Limited Class 90-hauled Avanti Capacity Charter, hauled by no. 90002.
Saturday 17 and Sunday 18 September - A trip to the Isle of Wight, riding the Island Line, going out via Portsmouth and back via Southampton with stops at Eastleigh and Winchester.
Monday 19 September - The LSL and WCRC charter services passing Milton Keynes within a few minutes of each other.
Thursday 29 September - Class 321 and 769 EMUs at Wolverton Works, plus my first Class 18.
Friday 30 September - The last LSL Friday Charter passing Milton Keynes, topped and tailed by 86101 and 90001.

Some video of 90002 starting the charter out of Milton Keynes Central is here:

MK Tom

Established Member
My October 2022 rail photos are here: https://mkttransportphoto.smugmug.com/2022/October-2022/UK-Rail-October-2022

This includes:
Sunday 2 October - A trip home from Gatwick Airport via the Gatwick Express to Victoria.
Saturday 8 October - The Great Electric Train Show at the Marshall Arena in Milton Keynes, followed by some photos of East-West Rail at Swanbourne and Winslow.
Tuesday 11 October - A trip to Corby to ride and photograph the EMR Class 360s, going from Wellingborough and visiting Kettering.
Sunday 16 October - Photos of Flying Scotsman on display at Kings Cross for the station's 175th anniversary.
Tuesday 18 October - A ride on the Southeastern "City Beam" Class 707s on the Cannon Street to Orpington route.
Sunday 23 and Monday 24 October - The cliff railway and model village at Babbacombe, Torquay, followed by photos at Paignton station and at the disused stations at Bridport West Bay, Abbotsbury and Blandford Forum.
Sunday 30 October - A visit to two heritage railways on the former Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway: The Gartell Light Railway and the North Dorset Railway at Templecombe and Shillingstone respectively.

Some video of the Gartell Light Railway is here:

I also visited Bergen, Norway, at the start of the month, photos from which are here: https://mkttransportphoto.smugmug.com/2022/October-2022/Overseas-October-2022

MK Tom

Established Member
My November 2022 rail photos are here: https://mkttransportphoto.smugmug.com/2022/November-2022/UK-Rail-November-2022/

This includes:
Tuesday 1 November - A few photos at London's Marylebone and Baker Street stations.
Friday 4 and Saturday 5 November - A trip to Buxton and Manchester, going round the Oldham-Rochdale loop and riding the Buxton Miniature Railway.
Saturday 12 November - A ride on the rebranded IFS Cloud Cable Car (formerly Emirates Air Line) in the London Docklands.
Friday 18 November - An HS2 spoil train unloading near Waddesdon Manor station, and two photos from Aylesbury depot.
Monday 21 and Tuesday 22 November - Photos from Watford and London.
Sunday 27 November - A visit to the East Anglian Railway Museum and the Mid Suffolk Light Railway, also visiting Takeley, Rayne and Braintree stations and the storage sidings at Ely.
Wednesday 30 November - C2C Class 720s on test at Wolverton, plus a few units in Wolverton Works.

A short video of new and old trains at Chappel & Wakes Colne is here:

MK Tom

Established Member
Rounding out another great year, my December 2022 rail photos are here: https://mkttransportphoto.smugmug.com/2022/December-2022/UK-Rail-December-2022

This includes:
Friday 9 December - Chiltern's experimental battery hybrid Class 168 passing Milton Keynes en route to Wolverton for further modifications.
Saturday 17 December - Chiltern units in the snow at Aylesbury, plus a few photos of HS2 and East West Rail.
Thursday 22 December - A few minutes at Milton Keynes Central.
Monday 26 December - A day at the Severn Valley Railway, riding all three trains in service and visiting Kidderminster, Bewdley, Bridgnorth and Highley.

Some video of the Severn Valley Railway Boxing Day services is here:

I also visited France across the new year's holiday, staying in Nice and riding the local railways to Monaco, Cannes, and Saint-Martin-du-Var on the metre gauge Chemins de Fer de Provence.

Photos from the France trip are here: https://mkttransportphoto.smugmug.com/2022/December-2022/Overseas-December-2022-January-2023-France

And some video of my ride on the Chemins de Fer de Provence is here:

Status
Not open for further replies.