• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

Nottingham59

Established Member
100%. I think there's posts from well-informed members as far back as 2019 saying that Leicester station wasn't a show-stopper.
That's my understanding too. But with the contact wire being so low under the station bridge, I do expect that clearances from the platform to the pantograph will be an issue. (Especially as 810s appear to have conducting rather than insulating pantograph horns.)

Maybe they can get a derogation, but I can see they might have to fence off the southern end of platforms and use only the platform past the stairs, which will still accommodate 240m trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
These were used in the Severn Tunnel, not entirely successfully, so I imagine the MML teams are aware of the benefits and risks.
Severn Tunnel very wet with high mineral content in the water as well exacerbated corrosion between different metals not sure thats relevant at Leicester unless the sewer fails!!

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Severn Tunnel very wet with high mineral content in the water as well exacerbated corrosion between different metals not sure thats relevant at Leicester unless the sewer fails!!
They will not allow bimetallic aka galvanic couples on this project. One assumes they have learned from the mistakes. A lot more free flow of air in this location too. So will not have the same issues.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
For short distances such as this, a conventional wire supported by frequent glass fibre bars (and with insulated paint and surge arrestors if required) is probably a better solution than conductor bar. The overall height is similar and it avoids the complex transitions needed between conductor bar and conventional OLE.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
For short distances such as this, a conventional wire supported by frequent glass fibre bars (and with insulated paint and surge arrestors if required) is probably a better solution than conductor bar. The overall height is similar and it avoids the complex transitions needed between conductor bar and conventional OLE.
Looking at the installation at St. Pancras Thameslink the bar is pretty chunky as are the supports and wouldn't be surprised that catenary would be better solution to maximise rail to wire height distance.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
For the avoidance of doubt, and as has been said many times before, Conductor bar is specifically not an answer for limited clearances, although it can help in some places.

However it is the answer for places you want to be maintnenance free (eg Thameslink core, Crossrail core) or where trying to fix the wires (if they came down) would be very tricky (eg under the river Severn with 35 tonnes of water coming through the tunnel every minute).

londonmidland

Established Member
I've just been talking to an OLE engineer online, regarding the next steps of the MML electrification. There isn't too much information, however its interesting what they have said:

We are electrifying the rest of it. Design already under way for Wigston to Trent Junction. Further design being procured north of there.

The design through Leicester is complete and has continuous live 25kV wiring

Meerkat

Established Member
Would that mean that adding extra tracks between Wigston and Syston is being shelved, or that the design will allow for that (or at least not block it by building things on the trace)?

59CosG95

Established Member
Would that mean that adding extra tracks between Wigston and Syston is being shelved, or that the design will allow for that (or at least not block it by building things on the trace)?
That remains to be seem AFAIK. I'm sure it has catered for remodelling in the Leicester area, but what the remodelling entails, none of us on here are sure.