• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
A few bridges !.......5 up to Braybrooke, 19 on to Leicester. Theres also a dozen or more signal gantries to replace plus a set of water/ Sewage pipes to alter. There's a hell of work to do first before you even consider the overheads. And they will also need the embankments reinforced in places as well.

Now I’ll admit my info is rather out of date, but I understood that when Leicester was resignalled in 1985(?), the signalling gantries were all designed with future electrification in mind. MML electrification wa still very much on he cards at that time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
Now I’ll admit my info is rather out of date, but I understood that when Leicester was resignalled in 1985(?), the signalling gantries were all designed with future electrification in mind. MML electrification wa still very much on he cards at that time.

Sure they might have met the standards of the 1980s but would they meet the standards of the 2020s?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Sure they might have met the standards of the 1980s but would they meet the standards of the 2020s?

Fair point. I suppose to answer that question, the signalling gantries north of Sharnbrook are the same as those throughout the former Leicester PSB control area. So how many of the gantries between Sharnbrook and Kettering were replaced for the current electrification ?

59CosG95

Established Member
Fair point. I suppose to answer that question, the signalling gantries north of Sharnbrook are the same as those throughout the former Leicester PSB control area. So how many of the gantries between Sharnbrook and Kettering were replaced for the current electrification ?
I know at least one around Kettering North was replaced.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I know at least one was replaced for the four-tracking, due to its location...
In other places a standalone signal for the extra track was put up alongside the gantry. A lot of gantries spanned the four tracks even though they have only ever controlled three, because they were put up in advance of the re-signaling while the four tracks were still in use.

Senex

Established Member
That's what I was specifically told at the time.

Snow1964

Established Member

Yes, looked up a feature in old magazine, and it clearly stated that, but also states signals further north controlled from the older Trent PSB were not designed for overhead electrification. The terminology seems quaint now, but there were multiple third rail extensions being done at time in mid 1980s

Mikey C

Established Member
Yes, looked up a feature in old magazine, and it clearly stated that, but also states signals further north controlled from the older Trent PSB were not designed for overhead electrification. The terminology seems quaint now, but there were multiple third rail extensions being done at time in mid 1980s
3rd rail extensions yes, but only in areas where 3rd rail was the main form of electrification. No way would they have considered 3rd rail for the MML back in the 80s!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
All the 1960s-vintage signaling controlled by Trent and Derby has now gone. I think the replacement structures are OLE-compatible.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I went to see what is happening at Braybrooke.......No sign of anything!
But I suppose a substation will only require a flat concrete base and then the preassembled electricals get bolted down?

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I went to see what is happening at Braybrooke.......No sign of anything!
But I suppose a substation will only require a flat concrete base and then the preassembled electricals get bolted down?
If no flooding potential yes. Prepare the ground , put forms in place, stone it up (2 inch crusher run possibly or other aggregate). Get all the rebar in place. Pour concrete from a concrete pump. Allow to cure and bring in the big kit. However, at Lostock Junction on the Manchester -Preston-Blackpool project although not a grid feeder, the heavy electric kit was raised up. I always assumed to help against any potential flooding.

This photo hopefully explains what I am trying to say. https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/31883746888/in/album-72157661069863633/ (photograph taken by @wrinkley and published by @LDECRexile )

Last edited:

WAO

I imagine that the Braybrooke ATFS and the wiring North of Glendon Jn will be planned for completion at the same time as the arrival of the class 810's, so no rush, perhaps.

There may also be a connection to NR's review, which may lead to greater things for the MML.

The mention of flooding is very wise. The floods of 2007 showed how silly it was not to plinth key sub-station items above flood level.

WAO

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I imagine that the Braybrooke ATFS and the wiring North of Glendon Jn will be planned for completion at the same time as the arrival of the class 810's, so no rush, perhaps.
WAO

I really hope not. I was hoping that with the over runs on timescales on other schemes, NR might actually try and get ahead of the curve for once and get all the infrastructure done, tested and signed off.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I really hope not. I was hoping that with the over runs on timescales on other schemes, NR might actually try and get ahead of the curve for once and get all the infrastructure done, tested and signed off.

Someone has to stump up the cash first!

WAO

The problem with finishing part of a scheme TOO early is that it sits on the debit side of the balance sheet, amortizing without any benefit on the income side. This is not just a financial matter as the Severn Tunnel ROCS showed. It also crowds out other more urgent schemes that could yield benefits right away. Wiring part of the MML and then not using it for a significant period would hinder the case for more wiring.

We have to live with "just in time", even if we've been more used to lateness!

I share the feeling, though.

WAO

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I can't see any credible situation where electrification gets to Market Harborough before the trains that can use it. The 810 is a variant on a proven design and Hitachi has a pretty good track record for delivery.

WymoWanderer

Press release from Network Rail about completion of new railway sidings in Kettering. First trains to arrive and driver training expected to start later this month.
Network Rail has completed work on new railway sidings near Kettering railway station, marking a major milestone in the £1.5billion Midland Main Line Upgrade.

The brand new facility is made up of four sidings and has been designed and built for electric trains, which will run between London and Corby from May 2021. The sidings will be a place where the electric trains can be kept overnight and cleaned, ready for passengers the next day.

Network Rail transferred control of the new facility to East Midlands Railway yesterday (Monday, 9 November) with the first trains expected to arrive later this month when East Midlands Railway starts driver training ahead of the timetable introduction in 2021.

The completion of the sidings marks a key stage in the Midland Main Line Upgrade, which is the biggest investment into the route since the Victorian era. When the project completes, one additional train will run between Corby and London every hour. The sidings enables these additional services to run as it gives them somewhere to be stabled and cleaned.

Gavin Crook, Principal Programme Sponsor for Network Rail, said: “This is a key stage in the Midland Main Line Upgrade and I’m happy that our hard work on this stage of the project is now complete.

“The sidings will be a place where trains new to the route can be cleaned for passengers and enables one additional service every hour to run between London and Corby from May 2021.

“We’re now passing over control of the facility to East Midlands Railway who can begin using it for driver training.”

Lisa Angus, Transitions and Projects Director at East Midlands Railway, said: “I would like to thank everyone who has worked so hard, especially during difficult times, to finish this important project. It is a great example of what can be achieved through effective collaboration and teamwork.

“We are now looking forward to welcoming the first trains to the facility which will enable us to deliver our new May 2021 timetable.”

The new electric sidings contain overhead power lines, which carry 25,000 volts of electricity, enough to seriously injure or kill anyone that comes into contact with them. Network Rail is warning people of the dangers of trespassing on the tracks, and you can find out more about our hard-hitting safety campaign, Always On, here: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/commu...community/railway-safety-campaigns/always-on/

Flying Phil

Established Member
If no flooding potential yes. Prepare the ground , put forms in place, stone it up (2 inch crusher run possibly or other aggregate). Get all the rebar in place. Pour concrete from a concrete pump. Allow to cure and bring in the big kit. However, at Lostock Junction on the Manchester -Preston-Blackpool project although not a grid feeder, the heavy electric kit was raised up. I always assumed to help against any potential flooding.

This photo hopefully explains what I am trying to say. https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/31883746888/in/album-72157661069863633/ (photograph taken by @wrinkley and published by @LDECRexile )
Hi Gralistair
I did think that, as the Braybrooke site is towards the top of a summit, there would be no chance of flooding, but then I checked my earlier photographs when the soil was put back......HmmmmDSCF7111.JPG

59CosG95

Established Member
Looked up a Wiki list of 400kV Substations; knowing that Sundon is one of the existing 400kV supply points, I looked for its connections.
The nearest one in Northants is Grendon (between Northampton & Wellingboro') - I followed one of the pylon routes north and it went over the MML at Braybrooke.
Ergo, 400kV.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Looked up a Wiki list of 400kV Substations; knowing that Sundon is one of the existing 400kV supply points, I looked for its connections.
The nearest one in Northants is Grendon (between Northampton & Wellingboro') - I followed one of the pylon routes north and it went over the MML at Braybrooke.
Ergo, 400kV.
Thanks for the clarification.

59CosG95

Established Member
A GWR acquaintance of mine (who I know is passed out on 387s) said that the limit was removed for 3x 387 at 100mph last year, including east of Stockley. I suspect that has something to do with the fact that all the crossovers on the Mains (at linespeeds above 100) are now independently registered east of Stockley.

But all this, while useful for GWML discourse, has little to do with operating 3x 360s on the MML at 110mph!

Assuming the same methodology of "new structures over existing crossovers" is what will be used to upgrade the OLE south of Bedford, the following junctions will need to be 'portalised':
  • Radlett
  • Harpenden
  • Luton South
  • Luton North
  • Leagrave
  • Flitwick
  • Bedford South
Taken from the EMR Class 360 thread. Based on the work to independently register crossovers on the 125mph lines under headspans on the GWML, to permit 110mph 12-car Class 387 formations, the junctions quoted above could feasibly be done as a minimum to permit similar operations on the MML.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Taken from the EMR Class 360 thread. Based on the work to independently register crossovers on the 125mph lines under headspans on the GWML, to permit 110mph 12-car Class 387 formations, the junctions quoted above could feasibly be done as a minimum to permit similar operations on the MML.

Or you limit the maximum speed when running three pantograph formations - we did that for long enough of the WCML...