• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

Flying Phil

Established Member
LinkedIn post from the NCB (Network Certification Body):

They've been awarded the GRIP 5-8 contract for the MMLE (no specific details given); I assume this is for KO1a as they've only just authorised KO1 (along with the ORR). But this could (hopefully) be for beyond Mkt H'boro' as much of the work for KO1a is now at GRIP 6 (i.e. construction)...
Reading between the acronyms(?) does this mean that the overhead wires are now going to go up between Kettering and Market Harborough?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
LinkedIn post from the NCB (Network Certification Body):

They've been awarded the GRIP 5-8 contract for the MMLE (no specific details given); I assume this is for KO1a as they've only just authorised KO1 (along with the ORR). But this could (hopefully) be for beyond Mkt H'boro' as much of the work for KO1a is now at GRIP 6 (i.e. construction)...
It's somewhat worrying if they've only just appointed a certification body for GRIP 5-8 and construction is under way...

td97

Established Member
Electrification of MML to Sheffield in 2028 is the latest aspiration

59CosG95

Established Member
Reading between the acronyms(?) does this mean that the overhead wires are now going to go up between Kettering and Market Harborough?
Work for that's already underway! New masts have been going up over the Fasts north of Kettering, and deveg works at Braybrooke (to feed the OLE between Sharnbrook & Mkt H'boro') have recently been undertaken.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Sorry 59CosG95.....I was being slightly ironic as your post #4230 was (I thought) a bit difficult for the casual reader to decrypt. I do live in Market Harborough and so am following the electrification project with great interest.

59CosG95

Established Member
I've been checking EMR's website, and I've noticed that, on the last two weekends in June, there will be no service between Kettering & Leicester via Market Harborough on both Saturdays and both Sundays. No idea what this means for OLE along this stretch, but it's certainly encouraging.

John Webb

Established Member
Napsbury: Observed a new small 'Portacabin' and some other equipment at the access point adjacent to the industrial site this afternoon.
There were also two road/rail platform machines parked by the access point adjacent to St Albans South box.

WAO

The reference may be to the Sheffield City Plan which goes to 2028. This probably contains an ambiguous NR(E) submission in general terms.

It would all be in CP7 anyway and we still don't have everything for CP6 yet.

Dore and Leicester would be more significant pointers than press releases or statements, in my view.

WAO

Killingworth

Established Member
The reference may be to the Sheffield City Plan which goes to 2028. This probably contains an ambiguous NR(E) submission in general terms.

It would all be in CP7 anyway and we still don't have everything for CP6 yet.

Dore and Leicester would be more significant pointers than press releases or statements, in my view.

WAO
I know a site was earmarked near Dore West Junction for a MML electricity feeder station. No recent news about that.

D365

Veteran Member
Be interesting to see, in terms of project management, how MML electrification to Sheffield ties in with HS2, i.e. who gets there first.

td97

Established Member
I doubt td97 is referring to anything in a published document.
Correct
Incorrect
The 2028 date is from a recent, high-level internal document regarding OLE provision on a nearby scheme. Not linked in the public domain.

InTheEastMids

Work for that's already underway! New masts have been going up over the Fasts north of Kettering, and deveg works at Braybrooke (to feed the OLE between Sharnbrook & Mkt H'boro') have recently been undertaken.
De-veg work has progressed well into Harborough itself - very apparent on the west side at Kettering Road overbridge

Edit: Also NR will be 'installing cabling next to the track' in the small hours of 23rd May

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member

First 360 in service running 6am from Corby on Monday.

There's been several service trains already, though only shuttling as far between Corby & Kettering IIRC. First service to St Pancras should be this service (1141 ex Corby) after a couple of Kettering - Corby shuttles

richieb1971

Established Member
There are some on Sunday. I never figured to check Sunday. Commuters on Facebook looking forward to Monday and resumed Bedford Peak hours services from EMR. I've seen quite a few 360s doing the test runs.

Killingworth

Established Member
Gunnite and track lowering? Slab track even? Similar to Chorley tunnel on Manchester -Preston?
When work was done on the tunnel in 2008 it was suggested that it was being made ready for electrification. Nothing came of that, of course, and at public consultations for HS2 that project team suggested significant further work would probably be required. They also suggested almost every over bridge from the tunnel into, and including, Sheffield Station would need raising. Due to proximity of the River Sheaf track lowering may be more difficult than it might first seem.

Network Rail's press release about the tunnel in 2008; https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/trains-running-through-bradway-tunnel

snowball

Established Member
NR press release

More seats and faster journeys between East Midlands and London - Network Rail completes major work on £1.5billion Midland Main Line Upgrade​

Region & Route: Eastern | Eastern: East Midlands
  • Network Rail completes major improvements on Midland Main Line in £1.5billion upgrade
  • 50% more seats for passengers travelling at peak times between London and Corby
  • Faster journeys between London and Derby, Leicester, Sheffield and Nottingham
  • Quieter, cleaner trains which are better for the environment

Network Rail has completed the biggest improvements to the Midland Main Line since it was built, meaning more seats, faster journeys and more reliable services for passengers travelling between the East Midlands and London.

In the latest stage of the upgrade, teams have carried out vital work to install new overhead line equipment between Bedford and Corby, as well as improvements to station platforms and major work to upgrade bridges on the route – to make way for electrification between London St Pancras International and Corby.

All of this work means there will be 50% more seats for passengers travelling at peak times between Corby and London. The new train timetable was introduced yesterday (Sunday 16 May), and East Midlands Railway launched its new all-electric service between Corby and London St Pancras International, providing a sixth train per hour.

The upgrade, along with the new timetable, also boosts the number of seats on services across the East Midlands and cuts travel time between London and Derby, Leicester, Sheffield and Nottingham.

It’s hoped the improvements will take more cars off the roads, as COVID restrictions ease and passengers return to the railway. Electric trains are quieter and much better for the environment that diesel trains. They produce almost 80% less carbon, benefitting people who live and work near the railway.

Gary Walsh, Route Director for Network Rail’s East Midlands route, said: “As passengers return to the railway, it’s great to be welcoming them back with the biggest improvements in a generation on the Midland Main Line.

“New overhead line equipment, as well as new track, new platforms and new bridges along the route, has made way for electric trains to run between Corby and St Pancras International. The major upgrade also brings faster, more reliable services which better connect passengers between the East Midlands and London.”

Will Rogers, Managing Director of East Midlands Railway, said: "We are delighted to be able to start this new and significantly improved timetable. The £1.5 billion Midland Main Line upgrade has allowed us to offer more seats, quicker journeys and more frequent journeys to our passengers across both our Regional and Intercity network.

"The timetable includes earlier and later services supporting leisure, business and tourism journeys and will help to support the region's recovery out of the pandemic.”

Network Rail is reminding people that a deadly 25,000 volts runs through the overhead wires at all times. For more information on electrification, the dangers of trespassing on the railway and the tragic consequences this can have, see our ‘Always On’ safety campaign: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/commu...community/railway-safety-campaigns/always-on/

Dr Hoo

Established Member
As a former resident of Northamptonshire and a long-time MML commuter I am well aware of the complexities of the overall project, including re-quadrupling and station works as well as the wiring. Nevertheless I am sure that many members of the public will see that as £1,500,000,000 for 30 miles of route, i.e. £50,000,000 per mile.

It's a long way to Sheffield (including re-modelling Leicester and Sheffield, let alone ancillary routes like Nottingham, the Erewash Valley, 'Old Road' and Manton).

Killingworth

Established Member
As a former resident of Northamptonshire and a long-time MML commuter I am well aware of the complexities of the overall project, including re-quadrupling and station works as well as the wiring. Nevertheless I am sure that many members of the public will see that as £1,500,000,000 for 30 miles of route, i.e. £50,000,000 per mile.

It's a long way to Sheffield (including re-modelling Leicester and Sheffield, let alone ancillary routes like Nottingham, the Erewash Valley, 'Old Road' and Manton).
Our 2 new aircraft carriers are supposed to have cost over £6bn. How many aircraft carrier cost equivalents to electrify to Sheffield and Nottingham? Justifying these massive spending projects often seems to swing on job creation and retention factors.

Mikey C

Established Member
Our 2 new aircraft carriers are supposed to have cost over £6bn. How many aircraft carrier cost equivalents to electrify to Sheffield and Nottingham? Justifying these massive spending projects often seems to swing on job creation and retention factors.
But then someone could then reply that £1.5bn would repair a lot of potholes and employ more people

Killingworth

Established Member
But then someone could then reply that £1.5bn would repair a lot of potholes and employ more people
Digression alert! Better still rebuild the roads strong enough to withstand 21st century wear. That would create the need for more workers than the nation holds.

Back on topic, overhead electrification is massively expensive to maintain and faults add to loss of resilience in the network.