• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Objections on visual grounds is a funny one, would they prefer diesel pollution?
Someone will always object to a change even if other things change for the better at the same time. The diesel pollution (and diesel noise) from the MML is probably a good deal less than from the nearby A6, so eliminating it won't make much difference. The concern may be about the long views down into the valley from nearby hills, at a distance when noise would be inaudible and fumes insignificant. As well as Sidney Gardens there were the protests about OLE spoiling the views in the Goring Gap.
Yes - steel piles can indeed be driven into the ground. However, when the ground isn't that good, the piles need to become much longer. I don't know the ground in that area, but if it isn't very good ground, longer piles will be required (up to a max of 15m; 3 spliced sections of 5m). That may be what has to happen - or concrete (which is very much the last option).
The lakes were formed by gravel extraction, which probably gives a hint about the ground conditions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Edvid

Established Member
A possible development related to the original OHLE south of Bedford (from Modern Railways, dated today):
[...] However, one project that has received authority to proceed is an upgrade of the overhead wires south of Bedford to make them suitable for 125mph operation. The wires were only designed for 100mph operation, whereas East Midlands Railway’s Class 810 bi-modes will be capable of 125mph and would otherwise have to run under diesel power to attain this maximum speed. Network Rail’s East Midlands Route Director Gary Walsh told a meeting of the Association of Public Transport Users and Bedford Commuters Association on 30 November that there would be seven all-line blocks at weekends south of Bedford during 2022 to progress this work. Mr Walsh said timescales were being reviewed so the delivery schedule could be optimised with the electrification work to Market Harborough. [...]

Does that mean it's going ahead, then? Or is it part of the overall TDNS the Treasury blocked recently?

Anyhow, here's the rest of the article:
MML wires may soon reach Wigston

TRANSPORT SECRETARY Grant Shapps announced investment of £249 million in the Midland main line on 18 November as he published the Integrated Rail Plan.

Extension of overhead electrification from Kettering to Market Harborough is expected to be among the schemes funded. Part of Key Output 1a of the line’s upgrade, this will connect the recently completed Bedford to Corby stretch (Key Output 1) to a new substation at Braybrooke. Mr Shapps said work on IRP schemes would begin before Christmas, although early works for the Market Harborough scheme on the MML have been in progress for some time. A target completion date of 2023 has previously been stated.

In a recent development, the wires could be further extended in the short-term from Market Harborough to Wigston South Junction, just south of Leicester, under what has been dubbed Key Output 1a+. Network Rail said it could not confirm what the investment announced by Mr Shapps covers until an update of the Rail Network Enhancements Pipeline is published by the Government.

[...]

Meanwhile, minutes of Network Rail’s 1 July 2021 board meeting, published on 26 November, indicate that cost reductions are being achieved with the MML Phase 3 project, covering electrification to Nottingham and Sheffield. At the meeting the board approved funding for completion of the final Outline Business Case for the scheme. It discussed how the MML3 team was learning from other electrification programmes, and noted the unit cost of the scheme was below benchmarks set out in the Railway Industry Association’s Electrification Cost Challenge report and below European comparators on a like-for-like basis. NR held a market engagement day for the MML3 scheme in July 2021, shortly after the board meeting.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
A possible development related to the original OHLE south of Bedford (from Modern Railways, dated today):

Does that mean it's going ahead, then? Or is it part of the overall TDNS the Treasury blocked recently?

Anyhow, here's the rest of the article:
Good to hear although weird how its filtered out like this and hasn't had a big press release from Shapps Towers.

InTheEastMids

Extension of overhead electrification from Kettering to Market Harborough is expected to be among the schemes funded
Good to hear although weird how its filtered out like this and hasn't had a big press release from Shapps Towers.

Certainly feels weird that Market Harborough wiring is only "expected to be... funded", when I can literally hear the sound of piling for the scheme in the distance right now as I'm typing this.

Perhaps DfT are so terrified of Treasury that they're trying to sneak though this big electrification purchase without announcing it and hope nobody notices until it's too late. My other half pulls this trick quite frequently :lol:

stuu

Established Member
Certainly feels weird that Market Harborough wiring is only "expected to be... funded", when I can literally hear the sound of piling for the scheme in the distance right now as I'm typing this.

Perhaps DfT are so terrified of Treasury that they're trying to sneak though this big electrification purchase without announcing it and hope nobody notices until it's too late. My other half pulls this trick quite frequently :lol:
What this electrification? Had it for years...

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

They will be wanting to announce many things at the same time, but the authorisations will naturally happen at the time needed for the project.

BayPaul

Established Member
They will be wanting to announce many things at the same time, but the authorisations will naturally happen at the time needed for the project.
It also feels like they have had their hands burned too often by overrunning / overspending big rail projects, so the new strategy is like Okehampton - only start making a big song and dance about it happening at the point where it is clear that it will get done, rather than making the big announcement and then take years of grief at how badly it is going...

Or perhaps I'm cynical

59CosG95

Established Member
They are working about half a mile South of H'bro station...now.
View attachment 106831
Is that near the construction site of new-builds on the outskirts of Mkt H'boro? If so then they're making leaps & bounds of progress!

Also, for anyone travelling betweek KET & MHB by train - small sections of road veh incursion barrier (like those seen on motorways etc) are often a giveaway for where piles might be.

Last edited:

WAO

I think that is is virtually certain that there will be wires to Wigston South soon, as the Treasury seem to have accepted that Bi-modes are better running off the wires. The expensive Braybrooke GSP and MH wiring is the evidence.

The only question mark as I see it is whether the Bowden curve is re-aligned. The speed increase would be more useful with electric acceleration and the climb over Kibworth summit would be easier. Bridge and curve maintenance would be reduced with a new shorter curve.

North of Wigston to the proposed supply boundary at Syston depends on what and when at Leicester, although some small improvements have taken place recently.

Greetings,

WAO

59CosG95

Established Member
I think that is is virtually certain that there will be wires to Wigston South soon, as the Treasury seem to have accepted that Bi-modes are better running off the wires. The expensive Braybrooke GSP and MH wiring is the evidence.

The only question mark as I see it is whether the Bowden curve is re-aligned. The speed increase would be more useful with electric acceleration and the climb over Kibworth summit would be easier. Bridge and curve maintenance would be reduced with a new shorter curve.

North of Wigston to the proposed supply boundary at Syston depends on what and when at Leicester, although some small improvements have taken place recently.

Greetings,

WAO
What journey time benefit would realignment north of Gt Bowden bring to the MML? I suspect a couple of seconds tops. Lot of cost for v. little journey time benefit AFAICT.

snowball

Established Member
I would imagine that if they were going to realign that curve, they would have done it a few years ago when they did the curve through MH station.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What journey time benefit would realignment north of Gt Bowden bring to the MML? I suspect a couple of seconds tops. Lot of cost for v. little journey time benefit AFAICT.
Wasn’t it in but then later removed from the previous Market Harborough realignment package? So the reasoning behind withdrawal from that scope presumably hasn’t changed…

InTheEastMids

Agree, from what I remember, most of the time benefit came from removal of the reverse curves through the station and line speed from 60 -> 85 (I think). Might have been in the order of 10s, a search through the MH Station Upgrade thread might find a bit more informed comment.

Wasn’t it in but then later removed from the previous Market Harborough realignment package? So the reasoning behind withdrawal from that scope presumably hasn’t changed…

Given the lack of journey time benefit, I guess the main benefits would need to be reduced maintenance - it's curving track on a Victorian embankment & bridge over the disused line to Stamford.
It was removed from the scope, but we don't know if that was simply the MH Programme running out of money (it started as a Carillion job), or whether the maintenance benefits around curving track, Victorian embankment and bridge were simply never there

The situation might have changed given a much bigger programme (MMLE) and the idea of putting in OHLE with 50+ year lifetimes.
But then again, it might not.

Meerkat

Established Member
It also feels like they have had their hands burned too often by overrunning / overspending big rail projects, so the new strategy is like Okehampton - only start making a big song and dance about it happening at the point where it is clear that it will get done, rather than making the big announcement and then take years of grief at how badly it is going...

Or perhaps I'm cynical
It also looks quicker.
Announce it at decision point and by the time you do the big opening people will be saying "Have they only just finished that, its been going on for years!"
And the fewer early announcements you make the fewer people who are ever aware of the expected opening date, so fewer to ask why it hasn't finished yet!
For max cynicism save up the announcements for nearer the election!

InTheEastMids

Latest update from the Programme that is still only 'expected to be funded' <D

Milestone Reached In Construction Of Rail Electricity Substation – HFM (harboroughfm.co.uk)
A milestone has been reached in the construction of a new electricity substation near Desborough which will play a key role in the electrification of the railway.

Two large transformers have been installed on the site adjacent to the A6 after construction work began earlier this year.

@59CosG95
Is that near the construction site of new-builds on the outskirts of Mkt H'boro? If so then they're making leaps & bounds of progress!
And yes, it's pretty clear from the powerlines in the background that the photo has been taken from Braybrooke Road, looking South, where it is closest to the railway.

I think that is is virtually certain that there will be wires to Wigston South soon,
Yes, it always struck me as stupid (but hey, that's Grayling for you) that they stopped at Market Harborough. They had to spend £££ on the grid connection at Braybrooke, and between Harborough and Kilby Bridge Junction it is just plain line. Some bridges at least had already been worked on (e.g. Station Road in Kibworth was done years ago now), so it seems relatively straightforward. If anybody sees any piling North of Great Bowden Road bridge in Market Harborough (limit of Kettering-Harborough scheme), you'll know somebody has sneakily given it the nod ;)

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Hopefully the certainty will now mean that the project team can be retained following completion to MH, maybe continuing the next bit to just short of Leicester, whilst the bigger project gets into gear.
Maybe someone in authority reads this forum!

Peter Sarf

Established Member

I find things easier to present as a completed task rather than having people breathing down your neck so to speak.

Or perhaps I'm cynical
I too feel cynical !.

Flying Phil

Established Member
They certainly are making progress at the feeder site! Apologies for the foggy looking photographs - it was foggy!
DSC01198.JPGDSC01199.JPG

The site further South, at Rushton, is also looking busy with steelwork being delivered.
DSC01204.JPGDSC01206.JPG

59CosG95

Established Member

DannyMich2018

I'm currently on a diverted train via Corby. Ok as far as Corby but the line speeds north of here are pathetic. Took just over 2 mins to pass through Corby Tunnel and there's a like a severe restriction just north of Harringworth viaduct. Not even going 20mph there.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I'm currently on a diverted train via Corby. Ok as far as Corby but the line speeds north of here are pathetic. Took just over 2 mins to pass through Corby Tunnel and there's a like a severe restriction just north of Harringworth viaduct. Not even going 20mph there.

Would you have preferred the bus?

DannyMich2018

Would you have preferred the bus?
Kettering to Leicester on rail replacement direct bus can be about an hour so no difference. Was nice to go over Harringworth viaduct and nice quiet train too! I wasn't in a rush today though but some people would be.

59CosG95

Established Member
The LNE/EM Sectional Appendix has Harringworth down as starting as 85m 00ch, and being 1272yds in length (58ch approx). On the Dn Corby, the speed limit drops to 20mph at 85m 76ch; this continues until 87m 04ch. Ergo, there's a 1m 160yds stretch of 20mph through Seaton Tunnel on the Dn Corby.
(on the Up Corby, there is only a 396yds stretch of 20mph (between 86m 61ch & 86m 43ch), and even that's a 20/40 split between locos & MUs respectively.)

Not sure why this is - perhaps a long-standing p-way issue through Seaton Tunnel, or earthworks issues etc.