• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mobile Operations Manager/ Mobile Incident Officer Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GemGem

I just did some online SJT type of tests. This was 5 years ago though so not sure how much it has changed.

Toots

It might differ from area to area ,but ours entail a presentation about a pertinent subject. The last lot had to do one on SLW. This has to be done in conjunction with the usual questions and the scenario based situations you will have put on the application.

ArchangelA

It might differ from area to area ,but ours entail a presentation about a pertinent subject. The last lot had to do one on SLW. This has to be done in conjunction with the usual questions and the scenario based situations you will have put on the application.
What's SLW?

ArchangelA

So what I'm led to believe then, is that there will be an interview on all the usual 8NTS, and a presentation on some sorts (because MOM's need to give safety briefings and talk to in front of school assemblies and the like). Does anyone know if there are any online tests, or other psychometric tests to be done? PS Thanks for all of your replies. Merry Christmas. Al

Toots

Are you coming in off the street or from an ops part of NWR? ,I'm assuming you are because of the SLW question.That being the case I would have thought you had to do the initial Signaller tests.I say 'I imagine' because there aren't many who haven't been Signallers get MOM's jobs and those who have , have come via the Graduate scheme and are rarely allowed to remain in that role. You would have to go to Signalling school as well as MOM school.

ArchangelA

Are you coming in off the street or from an ops part of NWR? ,I'm assuming you are because of the SLW question.That being the case I would have thought you had to do the initial Signaller tests.I say 'I imagine' because there aren't many who haven't been Signallers get MOM's jobs and those who have , have come via the Graduate scheme and are rarely allowed to remain in that role. You would have to go to Signalling school as well as MOM school.
From the street really, but from an emergency services background.

GemGem

I was a MOM who came off the street... MOMs aren’t required to go to signalling school.

Toots

I was a MOM who came off the street... MOMs aren’t required to go to signalling school.
As I said, I don't think there are many who came off the street but like yourself, there will be some. The Signalling school criteria, in this area at least, is because we still have several signalboxes and MOM's are required to cover them if required, and we have just had one MOM who had various roles with BR, who recently retired and he covered boxes despite the fact he hadn't been to Signalling school, but I don't believe that would happen now with a new 'off the street' MOM. The South, particularly London, has very few small boxes, so it follows the criteria for a MOM to attend Signalling school in that sort of area wouldn't apply, and maybe the OP's area of the West Mids is the same.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There was recently an RMT <> Network Rail working party which discussed the role and in particular the difference between how some routes rely heavily on the Moms to carry out signalling activities whereas others don’t really rely on this.

Also of note is the introduction and expansion of the Mio (Mobile Incident Officer, effectively a more senior Mom) role which will have a bigger consideration to incident management and thus the ability to staff a signalling panel will be less significant. As it so happens myself and colleagues have spoken with these in the past few months and it seems quite a larger number of external recruits.

GemGem

That depends on the area, some (most?) areas require them to do so.
Wouldn’t even say it was most! All bar one on my MOM course weren’t required to attend signalling school and that person in question already was a grade 2 signaller.

Can I ask what processes you had to go through to get in?
I just completed some online SJT questions and some questions I believe were geared up for signalling but I just put not applicable in the ones that I couldn’t answer. I then got a call to attend an interview with 2 managers and waited a couple of days to hear I got the job. Like I said this was nearly 6 years ago so not sure how the application process has changed since then.

ArchangelA

Wouldn’t even say it was most! All bar one on my MOM course weren’t required to attend signalling school and that person in question already was a grade 2 signaller.

I just completed some online SJT questions and some questions I believe were geared up for signalling but I just put not applicable in the ones that I couldn’t answer. I then got a call to attend an interview with 2 managers and waited a couple of days to hear I got the job. Like I said this was nearly 6 years ago so not sure how the application process has changed since then.
Thanks GemGem

Jim.bob

There was recently an RMT <> Network Rail working party which discussed the role and in particular the difference between how some routes rely heavily on the Moms to carry out signalling activities whereas others don’t really rely on this.

Also of note is the introduction and expansion of the Mio (Mobile Incident Officer, effectively a more senior Mom) role which will have a bigger consideration to incident management and thus the ability to staff a signalling panel will be less significant. As it so happens myself and colleagues have spoken with these in the past few months and it seems quite a larger number of external

Does anyone know what the difference is between a grade 6 and grade 7 mom?

GemGem

It’s just pay grades. They are graded the same as signaller grades. Some areas are deemed more intensive than others etc.

Jim.bob

Does that mean grade 6 might not need any signalling experience and some locations will be incident response only? Would you have to be qualified as a RIO? And does anyone know the locations of moms where they are incident response only without any signalling experience? Thanks.

nom de guerre

Does that mean grade 6 might not need any signalling experience and some locations will be incident response only? Would you have to be qualified as a RIO? And does anyone know the locations of moms where they are incident response only without any signalling experience? Thanks.

Some of the locations, or types of locations, have already been hinted at. As an example, I work on the southern end of the WCML (a busy, urban area) and although we have a handful of smaller boxes as well as the expected larger locations, our MOMs don't cover the signalling side and are not required to have any signalling experience. If you give us an idea of the sort of area you're based in/looking at, I'm sure someone can provide more detailed info.

Happy to be corrected, but AFAIA there is no requirement to be a qualified RIO. My understanding is that it is one of many modules you take after starting the job.

There is no direct link between the grade and the likelihood of whether you might be required to cover the signalling side as well as incident response. A Grade 6 MOM might be asked to cover signalling; they might not. It really is location dependent. Even if it is an area where MOMs are expected to provide emergency cover for signallers, you wouldn't necessarily be expected to have any signalling experience before taking the job.

HTH?

Jim.bob

Some of the locations, or types of locations, have already been hinted at. As an example, I work on the southern end of the WCML (a busy, urban area) and although we have a handful of smaller boxes as well as the expected larger locations, our MOMs don't cover the signalling side and are not required to have any signalling experience. If you give us an idea of the sort of area you're based in/looking at, I'm sure someone can provide more detailed info.

Happy to be corrected, but AFAIA there is no requirement to be a qualified RIO. My understanding is that it is one of many modules you take after starting the job.

There is no direct link between the grade and the likelihood of whether you might be required to cover the signalling side as well as incident response. A Grade 6 MOM might be asked to cover signalling; they might not. It really is location dependent. Even if it is an area where MOMs are expected to provide emergency cover for signallers, you wouldn't necessarily be expected to have any signalling experience before taking the job.

HTH?
Yes this is extremely helpful much appreciated thank you. As I am looking for a role as a MOM any information is helpful. I have heard MOM roles may be difficult to get into as there may be a lot of applicants who come from different roles and have quite a bit of experience in line side working which I dont have. I was looking at the north east or north west area. As I am farely new here it may take a couple more posts from before I can DM anyone.

GemGem

Any grade can not need signalling experience. I was a grade 7 with no signalling experience. I did the course once I got the job so went to York and did COSS, RIO, LXA etc then.

Status
Not open for further replies.