• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Model Rail Bargains & Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
We’ll take 10!
If there was a RR one available at that price, I'd be finding it hard to resist...

That said, thanks for alerting me to their discounted section. Now ordered the EFE West Riding bus, and the Scenecraft relay boxes and phones with stop boards pack.

Also finally got some baseboard kits on order, so I'll be able to start building an actual layout rather than just accumulating locos and units to sit on a shelf!

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
Cheap bubble cars

Gives me an excuse to post this picture of the real thing at Cas Vegas, back in 1997...

Loadhall Bubble Car.jpg

I remember spending quite a while festering there, hoping to phot some freight, and this was the only thing that turned up!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Gives me an excuse to post this picture of the real thing at Cas Vegas, back in 1997...

View attachment 118836

I remember spending quite a while festering there, hoping to phot some freight, and this was the only thing that turned up!
The footbridge (and the fact that you're stood on platform 2) certainly dates that photo! Anyway, the LoadHaul bubble is a bit more interesting than the Manchester bin liner train in my opinion. Though I suppose in 1997 the binliners would have had something other than a shed on the front at least.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If there was a RR one available at that price, I'd be finding it hard to resist...
I must admit that I’d quite like a Regional Railways liveried one. I’ve got a dummy in blue and grey but a friend of mine has a nice NSE one fitted with a lighting bar:

D185E909-2E6F-4781-A0EB-9CB30D436529.jpeg

Also finally got some baseboard kits on order, so I'll be able to start building an actual layout rather than just accumulating locos and units to sit on a shelf!
Excellent. Have you got much in the way track?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Excellent. Have you got much in the way track?
I've way more track than I'll need for the size of layout I'll be building, as my brother loaned/gifted me a load when I got back into the hobby- at the time he was busy renovating his house so wasn't going to be using it for a while. Most of it is full lengths of Peco flexi, some with concrete sleepers... though as I'm doing a branch line terminus I might stick with set-track for the jointed track effect.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've way more track than I'll need for the size of layout I'll be building, as my brother loaned/gifted me a load when I got back into the hobby- at the time he was busy renovating his house so wasn't going to be using it for a while. Most of it is full lengths of Peco flexi, some with concrete sleepers... though as I'm doing a branch line terminus I might stick with set-track for the jointed track effect.

Ah that’s good then. We’ve measured out where the rail joints should be and used a Dremel with a fine disc cutter to cut them into flexible track before now. You still get the noise that way.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Ah that’s good then. We’ve measured out where the rail joints should be and used a Dremel with a fine disc cutter to cut them into flexible track before now. You still get the noise that way.
I'm trying not to get too hung up on hyper-realism to be honest. Switching everything over to EM wheelsets and the like is probably beyond me. However cutting the concrete-sleepered track into shorter lengths doesn't sound like a bad idea. The fact that you do that with N-gauge blows my mind a little bit!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm trying not to get too hung up on hyper-realism to be honest. Switching everything over to EM wheelsets and the like is probably beyond me. However cutting the concrete-sleepered track into shorter lengths doesn't sound like a bad idea. The fact that you do that with N-gauge blows my mind a little bit!

You don’t have to cut the whole track. Just run the cutting disc across the tops of the rails to simulate a joint if you get what I mean?
Basically so that you get the nice clackety wheel noise.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
You don’t have to cut the whole track. Just run the cutting disc across the tops of the rails to simulate a joint if you get what I mean?
Basically so that you get the nice clackety wheel noise.
Ah, I get you now. Might give that a go once my boards arrive, cheers for the tip!

Iskra

Established Member
Kernow and Hattons bargains sections are particularly bountiful at the moment. TMC also have an extra 15% off their sale items.

It’s unusual to see such discounting in the run up to Christmas and so soon after payday. I think the products developed off the back of the Covid modelling boom are just reaching the market as demand contracts due to the current economic climate, resulting in some good deals as retailers look to discounting in order to shift what they can to get the cash in. I imagine that some big price ticket items are now going to be slow to sell, so these could be next in line for discounting. Rails have new Bachmann 47’s and 37’s with modest discounts already, which is a sign of the times.

RichJF

Kernow and Hattons bargains sections are particularly bountiful at the moment. TMC also have an extra 15% off their sale items.

It’s unusual to see such discounting in the run up to Christmas and so soon after payday. I think the products developed off the back of the Covid modelling boom are just reaching the market as demand contracts due to the current economic climate, resulting in some good deals as retailers look to discounting in order to shift what they can to get the cash in. I imagine that some big price ticket items are now going to be slow to sell, so these could be next in line for discounting. Rails have new Bachmann 47’s and 37’s with modest discounts already, which is a sign of the times.
Kernow have 3 versions of the Ruston 48DS at £69.99! Also Dapol Class 29s at £99.99.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I might have a look over the weekend. There’s nothing I specifically need but I have been considering building up a bit of 1969/1970 era stuff to run on Moors View in the changeover period.

Iskra

Established Member
Kernow have 3 versions of the Ruston 48DS at £69.99! Also Dapol Class 29s at £99.99.
I know! All the 29’s are pre-TOPS Blue though, if they were post I might have considered it. Pre-TOPS diesel loco’s seem to be getting discounted a lot, so I’m guessing post-TOPS versions are much more popular models.

I might have a look over the weekend. There’s nothing I specifically need but I have been considering building up a bit of 1969/1970 era stuff to run on Moors View in the changeover period.
A great time to be hinting at your Christmas wish list to Mrs C… ;)

RichJF

I know! All the 29’s are pre-TOPS Blue though, if they were post I might have considered it. Pre-TOPS diesel loco’s seem to be getting discounted a lot, so I’m guessing post-TOPS versions are much more popular models.

A great time to be hinting at your Christmas wish list to Mrs C… ;)

I was extremely tempted, then realised I had another Lima class 20 bargain waiting for collection from the RM delivery office!

I'll stick to my £6 digger & £5 wall sections from Hattons for another upcoming cameo layout! :D

Iskra

Established Member

5 car 80X’s train sets in GWR and LNER £150

reddragon

Established Member
Bachmann class 411s are numerously available and offers below £200 are successful at the mo. Just bagged one for £185

RichJF

I'm selling one of my tiny Inglenook layouts. If you're interested the link is here.

Mods please remove if selling links isn't allowed. Thanks.

Ted633

Kernow have added a few more items to their bargain section. Includes aforementioned CEP's for £225.

RichJF

Rails have a 20% ebay coupon until the 17th Nov.

Ken H

On Moderation
Samuel Ledgard Sociey Transport Collectors Fair in Pudsey, Leeds this coming Saturday 19th. May be items of interest. Bus stuff too so if you want a Lodekker in your station forecourt!!

Status
Not open for further replies.