• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More than one change from Manchester?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Completing the set of the largest and most powerful cities in England, how many places require more than one change from Manchester? It should be noted that a large number of those that are inaccessible from Birmingham are covered by the EMT Liverpool to Norwich service...

I'll start things off with Stourbridge Town. An easy way to kick things off.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
Anywhere on the Far North or Kyle branches, and in the winter months, anywhere on the Falmouth, Newquay, or St Ives branches is all I can come up with.
I was surprised at what a comprehensive rail service Manchester has.

Robinson

Anywhere in Southeastern-land that isn't directly accessible from Euston on the Underground, if we include the changes onto and off the tube separately. Ditto the Southern network apart from the Coastway West (which only requires one change at Southampton Central).

oh I do apologise - I noticed a similar thread with London and thought it was the same :P

Cardiff Bay as I think you have to go to Cardiff central, then to Cardiff queen street and then to Cardiff bay.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also Bromley North, Sheerness-on-Sea, Bidston, Southend !

Change at Wrexham General or Liverpool Lime St.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Streethouse, Featherstone, Pontecarlo Tanshelf?

No direct service AFAIK to Wakefield Kirkgate from Manchester...

dzug2

Anywhere in Southeastern-land that isn't directly accessible from Euston on the Underground, if we include the changes onto and off the tube separately. Ditto the Southern network apart from the Coastway West (which only requires one change at Southampton Central).

You can get to rather more of Southern than that. Reigate, Redhill or Gatwick with one change at Reading. Not on Southern trains admittedly. And 'Coastway West' will actually take you to Victoria from Southampton as well as Brighton, although rather a roundabout route

12CSVT

Established Member
Unless anybody know different - Barnhill, Alexandra Parade, Duke Street, Monks Risborough, Little Kimble, St. Margarets, Ware, Hertford East, all the East London line stations

VTPreston_Tez

Upminster? (Change at Euston and Embankment)
And anything on the District Line as a result, well any line not passing through Euston!

clagmonster

Established Member
How about Wrexham Central? Would require a change at Wrexham General and either Shrewsbury or Chester. Same for the other stations on the borderlands line apart from Bidston, which would just require a change at Liverpool Lime Street.
Also Walton-Aughton Park inclusive. Would require changes at Ormskirk and Preston or Moorfields and Liverpool Lime Street.

Robinson

Needham Market and all Greater Anglia stations south of Ipswich that the Norwich-London trains don't call at.

Track Basher

How about Wrexham Central? Would require a change at Wrexham General and either Shrewsbury or Chester. Same for the other stations on the borderlands line apart from Bidston, which would just require a change at Liverpool Lime Street.
Also Walton-Aughton Park inclusive. Would require changes at Ormskirk and Preston or Moorfields and Liverpool Lime Street.

How about changing at Hunts Cross or Liverpool South Parkway.

gnolife

Established Member
How about changing at Hunts Cross or Liverpool South Parkway.

Merseyrail from Hunts Cross all go to Southport, therefore a change at Sandhills is also necessary

I'm going to suggest Hartlebury (that station between Kiddy and Droitwich) - I don't think there's any direct service from Manchester to Galton Bridge, so 2 changes would be needed (Wolves and Smethwick or Birmingham and Droitwich)

Robinson

Merseyrail from Hunts Cross all go to Southport, therefore a change at Sandhills is also necessary

I'm going to suggest Hartlebury (that station between Kiddy and Droitwich) - I don't think there's any direct service from Manchester to Galton Bridge, so 2 changes would be needed (Wolves and Smethwick or Birmingham and Droitwich)

Ditto every other station on the Snow Hill lines except Worcester Foregate Street, Droitwich Spa, Smethwick Galton Bridge, Snow Hill, Moor Street and Leamington Spa (unless changing at New Street to walk to Moor Street counts as one change...)

Robinson

Do the terminal branch line stations of Sudbury (Suffolk) and Braintree and other railway stations on these two branches, fall into the category that you quote above?

Yes. Unless someone knows better, I'm pretty certain they require more than one change from Manchester...

richw

Veteran Member
Anywhere on the Far North or Kyle branches, and in the winter months, anywhere on the Falmouth, Newquay, or St Ives branches is all I can come up with.
I was surprised at what a comprehensive rail service Manchester has.

I believe there is direct xc from Manchester to penzance so only 1 change for the branches.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

gnolife

Established Member
I believe there is direct xc from Manchester to penzance so only 1 change for the branches.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Nope, Manchester gets XC going as far as Bristol TM (most), Exeter SD (some), Cardiff (daily), Plymouth (daily) and Paignton (twice daily) as all the service to the GWML and Sth Wales

scrapy

Established Member
There is a summer Saturday service to Newquay, which would cover that branch.

Hartlebury can be reached by changing at Leamington Spa although an overnight wait would be required at Leamington for the one early morning train per day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.