• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mornington Crescent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A letter from North Wales

This morning the Quizmaster's letterbox was graced with the presence of a Royal Mail delivery card, claiming we had received a letter upon which the postage had neglected to be paid. All we know is that the letter has come from North Wales... ;)

I shall have to trundle down to the sorting office when they are next open in a few days to see the contents of this letter.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
We went to pick up our package, and inside was a selection of socks together with a handwritten letter, which read:
Dear Leicester Central Library,
Your online book return system must be broken. I could only book a single.

Yours sincerely,

Mrs Trellis

To help us recover from the shock, it must be time for another game of Mornington Crescent. We're going to use the festive Twelve Days version of the rules, as developed by Lord Byron after his famous and catastrophic loss after just 11 days in the US Open of 1826.

At the end of each day the person to the right of the dealer must add up all the diagonals and award points to the person closest to Nidd who hasn't used any Bilaterals (except those permitted under the Morgan convention). Every third day the direction of play is reversed, everyone sings a Christmas Carol selected in person by the nearest available member of the Royal Family, and play continues once a sufficiently high dice roll has occurred.

Good luck to all players, play ends sharply when the camels become visible in north Camden on the 6th.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looking at sub-clause A of Regulation 374 of the Twelve Days rules published in 1903 I believe that Golders Green would be a good opening move.

deltic

Established Member
Even though it's Christmas Day as it is also a Sunday I believe Kensington Olympia can be played as long as it's done so before the Queens speech

A Challenge

Established Member
It is a known fact that Mrs Trellis lives in North Wales, and so the first move after the Queen's Speech on Christmas afternoon must be Northwest of London.

I choose Chorleywood

backontrack

Established Member
THANK YOU! :D

In response to that, there is only one move that can logically be played. I raise you Totteridge & Whetstone and an Aspidistra-Collingwood bonus.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I don't think the Aspidistra-Collingwood bonus applies this early on.

On this basis, I will try a risky Canada Water...

DasLunatic

Cripes - you are quickmarching to an almost certain grave, young man. I shall attempt to counteract this and play North Weald.

DasLunatic

You can't do that, I'm afraid. After 1900hrs all stations served by a single type of Tube stock and outside the M25 are illegal unless you have travelled to an airport within the last three moves.

deltic

Established Member
It's taken me a whole bottle of port and a Christmas chocolate log to decide on Place de la Concorde which I'm assured is still valid until article 50 is invoked and I prepared to defend that move in the Supreme Court if necessary although I might have misread the rules on account of seeing double at the moment

DasLunatic

As long as it's followed up by an airport, it's good. I nominate London Southend Airport.

A Challenge

Established Member
Why is it London Southend?

After playing a London Airport, you must go and visit North Wales to appease Mrs Trellis. This time she is in Llandudno

DasLunatic

Why is it London Southend?

Because it says so on the sign:
2429b845e60dc6a318dc8e763e581911.jpg

Mr Trellis is in Manchester. Therefore a station on the Metrolink must be played. Since the current UNIX timestamp is not a prime number at the time of posting, we must remain west of the Jacek Line. The only station fulfilling these criteria is Altrincham.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Clever clever, I can see what you're trying to do there but I think if I make use of the hop scotch approach and play Baldock you'll find yourself in trouble!

Established Member
I think some people are making their own rules up here.

To return the game to a more sensible footing, and using the Morgan convention:

Tooting Bec

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Under the Defamation of Character Exception Regulations Clause 13.4 'Accusations of Rule falsification and fabrication' I annul the previous move of Tooting Bec as being outrageous and instead insert Ealing Broadway as the next move.

DasLunatic

I could take a win here, but I'm feeling nice at the moment. Cobham and Stoke d'Abernon.

fergusjbend

Dale being Collin Sell's middle name, I believe?

In that case we are off to pick hops n Selling

deltic

Established Member
I'm still lost in Paris - so I'm going to Musee D'Orsay where I understand I can catch a train to Orlean

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Stovold's, reversed, to Oval.

Edited to add I have collected the requisite blue token, before any penalties.

deltic

Established Member
Howzat! "What do you mean he's not out - I demand a TV referral"

Status
Not open for further replies.