• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mornington Crescent

Status
Not open for further replies.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
HOLD HOLD HOLD
We haven't had Haslemere yet, we can't continue.

Also we haven't had enough needless italic text to break the impasse yet, so I'll set the ball rolling on that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You can't help everyone all the time - Edgware Road would have sustained more people for longer. The current situation we have with everyone dropping in and out of Nidd every third move that isn't a multiple of 7 came about because people like you were making antisocially soft moves. You should have considered the long term impact but it is far too late for regrets now.

You see this is just the sort of attitude I'd expect from a player of your caliber. Having a flowing Nidd is very important to ensure maximum enjoyment. When one is is Nidd you can enjoy the game more as it gives you time to appreciate what's going on around you. This modern sort of play where it all has to be as quick as possible really is a contrivance and a determent to the game.

WHAT BLOCKING? There is no blocking! How could you even think there was blocking!!!

I have no idea! You're the one that brought up blocking I'm just trying to keep things running smoothly!

There is no need to be bitter about it.

Oh well really this is just too much. I'm bitter?! Resorting to personal attacks really does suggest that you're losing the argument.

I've found the rule you're trying to apply, and I think I've worked out what your mistake is - you need to write the year backwards, and in hexadecimal. And recheck the phasing of Jupiter.

Fair comment I did forget the hexadecimal element of the backwards year but I think you'll find that my phasing of Jupiter is spot on.

I just don't know what to think.

Clearly :roll:

Perhaps you ought to stick to OU and leave OUA to those of us that can a) use it best and b) have an appreciation for the finer things in life. If you really want to try and get your head around OUA I'd suggest Mrs Mitthers Compendium of Compends (particularly the twelfth edition as it comes with the most delightful binding and dust jacket) would be the place to start.

How dare you! If you continue to fling such language around I will have to report you to a moderator!

Ha! I am a moderator and so I've reviewed my behavior and find no fault!

HOLD HOLD HOLD
We haven't had Haslemere yet, we can't continue.

Disregard the above as discussed there is no need for Haslemere and Clapham Common is the correct move to make next.

Also we haven't had enough needless italic text to break the impasse yet, so I'll set the ball rolling on that.

I quite agree one really can never have to many italics. A most pleasing form of typography.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
You see this is just the sort of attitude I'd expect from a player of your caliber. Having a flowing Nidd is very important to ensure maximum enjoyment. When one is is Nidd you can enjoy the game more as it gives you time to appreciate what's going on around you. This modern sort of play where it all has to be as quick as possible really is a contrivance and a determent to the game.
I have nothing more to add on this matter other than to say that you have exceptionally poor taste.
I have no idea! You're the one that brought up blocking I'm just trying to keep things running smoothly!
I will not have you continue to detract from the artform that is blocking by your persistent disregard of correct terminology. How are myself and other contestants supposed to enjoy the game with you throwing around half truths all the time.
Oh well really this is just too much. I'm bitter?! Resorting to personal attacks really does suggest that you're losing the argument.
:roll: Personal attacks? You, sir are the one who started the personal attacks. It's just what I'd expect from someone as laissez-faire with accurate play as yourself.
Fair comment I did forget the hexadecimal element of the backwards year but I think you'll find that my phasing of Jupiter is spot on.
You are right. Apologies, I had my planetary almanac upside down. My, don't I look foolish now...
Clearly :roll:

Perhaps you ought to stick to OU and leave OUA to those of us that can a) use it best and b) have an appreciation for the finer things in life. If you really want to try and get your head around OUA I'd suggest Mrs Mitthers Compendium of Compends (particularly the twelfth edition as it comes with the most delightful binding and dust jacket) would be the place to start.
I have a twelfth and I grew out of it shortly before I graduated from nappies. If you are still using such material as reference for games then no wonder we have got where we've got to! This is not the Junior Championships any more!
Ha! I am a moderator and so I've reviewed my behavior and find no fault!
Is this an open admission of corruption in the system? I demand an independent investigation by the ombudsman.
Disregard the above as discussed there is no need for Haslemere and Clapham Common is the correct move to make next.
I have PM'd a Quizmaster and no doubt one will be along shortly to adjudicate this. In the mean time we need to avoid making any moves that can't be undone or at least Transferred for similar Credit when I inevitably am proved correct, which is why I declared a HOLD.
I quite agree one really can never have to many italics. A most pleasing form of typography.
I also agree, and will now attempt to fill up the remaining three lines of this post with an empty sentence that provides no relevance to the rest of what I've said or indeed to the thread at large but which nonetheless conveys a sense that I think there is something worth saying, and that for some reason I think it is crucial that I use a different style of lettering to the one I used in the rest of the post.

backontrack

Established Member
I have nothing more to add on this matter other than to say that you have exceptionally poor taste.
That is hypocritical in the extreme, old man. Aren't you a grammar school boy?[/QUOTE]

I will not have you continue to detract from the artform that is blocking by your persistent disregard of correct terminology. How are myself and other contestants supposed to enjoy the game with you throwing around half truths all the time.
If he is the one throwing around half truths all the time, then you are the one firing quarter truths around all the time like a truth-quarter-thrower-thingy-thing. You thrower, you...

:roll: Personal attacks? You, sir are the one who started the personal attacks. It's just what I'd expect from someone as laissez-faire with accurate play as yourself.
Getting all European, are we? This is exactly the kind of foul multi nationalist attitude that we left Europe to avoid! Of course you in your Southern England Near-London bubble would disagree. I spit on your laissez-faire, sir! Don't bring that hoity-toity foreign rubbish near me. I have to say that play has been rather lax on your part.

You are right. Apologies, I had my planetary almanac upside down. My, don't I look foolish now...
And now you exhibit interstellar indiscretion! Did your almanac come from Brussels???!?!?

I have a twelfth and I grew out of it shortly before I graduated from nappies.
I'm still using mine.

If you are still using such material as reference for games then no wonder we have got where we've got to! This is not the Junior Championships any more!
But your only reference is Buzzfeed! This man is a fool.

Is this an open admission of corruption in the system? I demand an independent investigation by the ombudsman.
I'm the ombudsman, and I dismiss this claim.

I have PM'd a Quizmaster and no doubt one will be along shortly to adjudicate this.
That wouldn't be one of your Quizmaster bureaucrat buddies from Brussels, wouldn't it? DID YOU EVEN GO TO HARROW?

In the mean time we need to avoid making any moves that can't be undone or at least Transferred for similar Credit when I inevitably am proved correct, which is why I declared a HOLD.
Trying not to lose, are we? Dear oh dear.

I also agree, and will now attempt to fill up the remaining three lines of this post with an empty sentence that provides no relevance to the rest of what I've said or indeed to the thread at large but which nonetheless conveys a sense that I think there is something worth saying, and that for some reason I think it is crucial that I use a different style of lettering to the one I used in the rest of the post.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Mauris quis purus feugiat, tempus laxus sit amet, aliquam purus. Sed diam ex, aliquet at malesuada vel, dapibus nec dui. Suspendisse playus sed scelerisque ipsum, sed faucibus libero. Maecenas facilisis quom Oxtedlus est Idiotus con disregardus for ruleus of gameo. Non confoundus convallis. Maecenas porta sit amet dolor ac sollicitudin. Proviso quis pimlicus nec arcu tempor pretium nec vitae purus. Donec bibendum luctus risus in consectetur. Pellentesque sit amet quam aliquam, pharetra felis quis, dictum sapien. Integer lobortis tortor eros, sed ultrices mi lacinia nec. Aenean quis odio id neque volutpat feugiat auctor eget tortor. Vestibulum ornare nulla a commodo tempus. Maecenas vitae consequat risus Morningtons.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

As do you sir!

Laissez-faire?!? You accuse me of such a thing! I'm the one trying to keep us on track and in line with the rules of play. Shocking behaviour from some people here.

Quite alright happens to the best of us from time to time.

I have a twelfth and I grew out of it shortly before I graduated from nappies. If you are still using such material as reference for games then no wonder we have got where we've got to! This is not the Junior Championships any more!

Well forgive me for trying to be helpful! Shows what I get! I suppose, in that case if your so knowledgeable, you've read and appreciated Mr Wainwright-Dolby's Codex of Crescents including the Apocrypha and the excerpts considered to controversial to publish originally?

I'm the ombudsman, and I dismiss this claim.

Sadly, like the railway, the only vaguely 'ombudsman' service lacks the knowledge and understanding and teeth necessary for the role. Bad luck!

I have PM'd a Quizmaster and no doubt one will be along shortly to adjudicate this. In the mean time we need to avoid making any moves that can't be undone or at least Transferred for similar Credit when I inevitably am proved correct, which is why I declared a HOLD.

I await their response with interest I'm sure they'll see reason and clear this all up and you'll be shown the error of your ways! And I quite agree I feel that it's important that we keep a record of all moves to enable an easy transition once things are resolved. As such I suggest everyone print a copy of their move so we have a hard resource to fall back on.

Yes I often find myself writing such sentences at the most inopportune of times, they serve no purpose but to fill up space but then considering that the electrons necessary to show the letters that I am currently typing have no other use and the energy required by them is so minuscule I suppose it doesn't matter really!

backontrack

Established Member
Yes I often find myself writing such sentences at the most inopportune of times, they serve no purpose but to fill up space but then considering that the electrons necessary to show the letters that I am currently typing have no other use and the energy required by them is SO MINISCULE I suppose it doesn't matter really!

Nudge nudge, wink wink...

Last edited:

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
As do you sir!
Also, you have weird hair.

Quite alright happens to the best of us from time to time.
Thank you for being so understanding.
Well forgive me for trying to be helpful! Shows what I get! I suppose, in that case if your so knowledgeable, you've read and appreciated Mr Wainwright-Dolby's Codex of Crescents including the Apocrypha and the excerpts considered to controversial to publish originally?
HOW DARE YOU PATRONISE ME!!!
Sadly, like the railway, the only vaguely 'ombudsman' service lacks the knowledge and understanding and teeth necessary for the role. Bad luck!
This open and rampant corruption will be the demise of all that we hold dear, you mark my words. If only you weren't so transparent about it.
I await their response with interest I'm sure they'll see reason and clear this all up and you'll be shown the error of your ways!
I have had a response to my PM, and it rules in my favour. This is in fact unsurprising, as the QM I selected at random turned out to be myself. I recommend you cease and desist before this escalates further, as it can only end in your embarrassment at this point.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Due to the shocking poor behaviour of certain members and the clear issues with some people acting in a corrupt manner this game has been temporarily locked whilst a full investigation is carried out.

It will be reopened as soon as an independent investigation is completed.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
What's happened here is outrageous - a quizmaster and a moderator squabbling like children! This is just not acceptable! The corruption used here is also completely out of order - you need a completely unbiased view, for example mine. This is so very childish, and I think you should both be ashamed of yourselves. This is how the rules should really be used in this circumstance:

Ainsworth74's phasing of Jupiter is correct but paragraph 9.8 (b) on page 1295 suggests that the choice of mediums is salad, lava, ice or beech chipping, the only relevant one being beech chipping in this circumstance. This means that Wisden wasn't the correct reference and that, after Clapham Common, MC can not be played. Instead a station located in the South of England must be used to try and get back on course. I will conduct a full investigation into this incident before game play can resume, but my reading of the rules is correct and I hope that both ainsworth74 and OxtedL will cause no more problems, and just agree that I am right in this case.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I am afraid fishquinn that I must disagree with the drivel you have just spouted about being an unbiased mediator. Your supposed independent investigation is inherently flawed through your use of a Keplerian Analysis upon paragraph 9.8(b). Ergo it falls that I must demand a full juicidal review from the highest court of authority available in the hope that this most deplorable situation be remedied.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Have the rulebooks I accidentally sent to transportphoto arrived with you now then Class172? That was an expensive mistake...

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
How dare you suggest that I'm biased Class172?! I'm sure that you're just saying that because you're biased because you are, and you want to do the investigation so you get the outcome that you want, by bribing the highest court of authority if needed! Rule 9.8 (c) clearly states that when a Keplerian Analysis is used on rule 9.8 (b) because of a problem regarding the rule, the person who analysed it is completely fine to conduct an investigation (not to be confused with 10.0 (a), which states that if the game is played after 19:00 then at least one box of pizza or one curry must be consumed). With that, I insist that I must conduct this investigation.

Finally, Class172, I can't believe that you suggested what I was saying was drivel - How dare you. That's just utterly ridiculous and shows that you don't know how the game is played, or any of the rules! You're just utterly childish, and irresponsible!

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Ahem.

Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection 3 of Section A of Clause 214 of the Administrative Procedures (Scotland) Act 1978, it has been agreed that, insofar as the implementation of the statutory provisions is concerned, the resolution of anomalies and uncertainties between responsible forum staff team members shall fall within the purview of the chief haggis maker of Kincardine.

As such you must all report to Golspie eat seven ducks while standing on your heads, drink 3 pints of unpronounceable beer and continue to undertake moves in this game in the fashion we have all become accustomed to over many years.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah yes, well, a good point well made. I apologize for the earlier mishappenings and hopefully now that that is all resolved play will resume with an extra 18.7 hours of play to compensate for this disruption. I shall tentatively follow Golspie with Inch.

backontrack

Established Member
It is about time that I reveal my true identity to you all. You see, I have been monitoring affairs on this quiz for some time, and it's clear that something is going on. OxtedL, ainsworth74, fishquinn, Class172 and IanXC...you have all been tricked by my facade.
Allow me to extol the details of my victory:

Of course you didn't recognise me: Lemming. Arthur Lemming. Special Investigator, British Dental Association. And, by the time that Golspie was played, I had every dental surgeon in NW1 waiting for you all in Mike395's broom cupboard. Funny isn't it, how naughty moderators always make that one fatal mistake.

1365721ce02a7130d9480c32664e3e47.jpg

IT'S A MAN'S LIFE IN THE BRITISH DENTAL ASSOCIATION

DasLunatic

Oh, backontrack. You so very nearly won with your ragtag team of dentists. However, you made one fatal flaw:
You forgot to say "Mornington Crescent"!

However, unless I pull a joker from my deck of cards, I can't and no-one can for the next 100,000 seconds. Let's see if I can end this...

414px-Joker_red_02.svg.png

Oh yes. Joker!

It gives me great pleasure to say...
MORNINGTON CRESCENT!!!!

backontrack

Established Member
Oh, backontrack. You so very nearly won with your ragtag team of dentists. However, you made one fatal flaw:
You forgot to say "Mornington Crescent"!

However, unless I pull a joker from my deck of cards, I can't and no-one can for the next 100,000 seconds. Let's see if I can end this...

414px-Joker_red_02.svg.png

Oh yes. Joker!

It gives me great pleasure to say...
MORNINGTON CRESCENT!!!!
Curses!!!! Foiled again!!!!

Or am I? Because I know, and I have known for some time, that this contest is a SHAM! And a FRAUD! And a...SHAM!

I put it to you, DasLunatic, that you 'forgot' one of the crucial details of the game that made your 'win' necessary. You deliberately omitted this salient point, this cornerstone of the game for your own ends.

According to the Gregorian Calendar (I know that that's the one you choose to use, DasLunatic), this is the third day on which Bilaterals are flipped in accordance with the Morgan Convention. You have reversed play, and must pay the price.

Now...

...sing a Christmas Carol.

DO IT! or I'll send you to Stockwell.

DasLunatic

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Once again, you have forgot that on this third day, and only on this third day, when the UNIX timestamp at the time of posting is prime, the need to sing a carol is negated. Now, let's have a look at the current UNIX timestamp...
adade7bd580ce6f904e247975c6fd4fe.jpg

... and now let's see if it's prime...
5fbe541189e1ec1cf3728cb93a9e3399.jpg

Oh, ho ho ho. So it is prime. I can still claim Mornington Crescent completely unhindered. Hahahahahahahaha!

As for you making such a spurious accusation and forgetting the UNIX rule, I hereby banish backontrack to the worst place on Earth - 86 Durham Rd, London. You'll be trapped with Jeremy Corbyn until such time that BAE make a Class 442 fly. Enjoy!

backontrack

Established Member
Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Once again, you have forgot that on this third day, and only on this third day, when the UNIX timestamp at the time of posting is prime, the need to sing a carol is negated. Now, let's have a look at the current UNIX timestamp...
adade7bd580ce6f904e247975c6fd4fe.jpg

... and now let's see if it's prime...
5fbe541189e1ec1cf3728cb93a9e3399.jpg

Oh, ho ho ho. So it is prime. I can still claim Mornington Crescent completely unhindered. Hahahahahahahaha!

As for you making such a spurious accusation and forgetting the UNIX rule, I hereby banish backontrack to the worst place on Earth - 86 Durham Rd, London. You'll be trapped with Jeremy Corbyn until such time that BAE make a Class 442 fly. Enjoy!
HUFF! HUFF! HUFF!

You forget that Mornington Crescent is closed on that date. We've still got a couple of hours to go yet.

Last edited:

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I would step in here to help sort this out, but I'm too mortified by the revelations of earlier today to risk it.

backontrack

Established Member
I would step in here to help sort this out, but I'm too mortified by the revelations of earlier today to risk it.

It's my class detective work, honed by my street knowledge, trampoline specialism, terrible journalism and fresh fruit. What can I say? My skills are of an exorbitant quality.

deltic

Established Member
I think DasLunatic is missing a critical element of the festive games version - no mention has anywhere been made of any sightings of camels in LB of Camden.

In addition before the lunatics took over the asylum the last lawful move was A Challenge's Moscow Passazhirskaya which seems to have been overlooked in the unsportsmanship behaviour that we have sadly witnessed. Samantha is so in shock that she has had to a have few large ones to calm herself. She tells me the whole experience was quite climatic

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Stephen Fry just shared this on Twitter. I think it's genuine.

Attachments

• 666.jpg
    666.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 28

deltic

Established Member
Warren Street followed by a camel sighted in LB Camden can only mean one thing - Mill Hill East - Samantha can barely contain her excitement - I told her a micro-skirt / fur coat combination might not be suitable for the Northern Line without another item of cloathing

Status
Not open for further replies.