• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mornington Crescent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Whilst driving my way to work this morning, I missed a call on my mobile however no message was left by the caller. Upon looking up the origin of the dialling code it was clear this call had come from North Wales. Given my usual policy of dealing with unknown numbers, I wait to see if they should call again...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I received another phone call this morning and this time was fortunate that the caller left a message on the answerphone. The sound quality isn’t very good but I could make out the following:

Dear Central Trains,

I would like to make a booking for Ash Wednesday next week but my cat has not been very well as of late. Would you be able to purchase a loaf of bread on my behalf.

With deepest sympathy,

Mrs Trellis

It would seem then it is time for another round of Mornington Crescent – we will be making use of the revised 2018 Mansion House rules so moves in a tetrahedral formation score double points and players will be penalised for posting using morse code. The game will end when the egg-timer I have just flipped over runs out.

The Ham

Established Member
I'm not sure if I've understood the rules and tactics right, but I think I can move to Fairlop so as to avoid a second headed pokerface switch (which, if I understand the general principle right, is where a player with two heads uses one head to bluff something whilst the other head knows what's really going on and switches into play once another player falls for the trap).

I was tempted to go for another move, which when I've played a few more games and got a better handle on the scoring I may be tempted to do. Although I also think that to do so would require me to answer in morse code (and the scoring penalty that works incur).

MotCO

Established Member
I'm not sure if I've understood the rules and tactics right, but I think I can move to Fairlop so as to avoid a second headed pokerface switch (which, if I understand the general principle right, is where a player with two heads uses one head to bluff something whilst the other head knows what's really going on and switches into play once another player falls for the trap).

I was tempted to go for another move, which when I've played a few more games and got a better handle on the scoring I may be tempted to do. Although I also think that to do so would require me to answer in morse code (and the scoring penalty that works incur).

If you have two heads, I suggest that you are not eligible to play with the 2018 Mansion House rules, and I call your bluff. I propose Totteridge and Whetstone, using the Christmas Day variation.

The Ham

Established Member
If you have two heads, I suggest that you are not eligible to play with the 2018 Mansion House rules, and I call your bluff. I propose Totteridge and Whetstone, using the Christmas Day variation.

I didn't say I had two heads (for the record I don't) I said I was ensuring that I was avoiding the second headed pokerface switch. I also implied that I want that good on the full understanding of the rules. As such you'd notice that I missed that two headed payers are not eligible to play.

Sorry for this oversight, however it wouldn't have altered my move.

A Challenge

Established Member
Much as I like morse code, I will have to retreat to Inspector Morse for this variation, and Oxford Circus seems appropriate, even from Queensbury with the subsequent risk of Nid.

Condor7

Oxford Circus had me stumped for a while, but then it came to me, Chiswick Park.

Last edited:

MotCO

Established Member
I think I will go out on a limb and controversially invoke Article 50 of the Enigma Variations (closed stations; section 2.5) and opt for Down Street.

A Challenge

Established Member
I think I will go out on a limb and controversially invoke Article 50 of the Enigma Variations (closed stations; section 2.5) and opt for Down Street.
I shall move us on to Westminster, as that is the only part of the country that can revoke Article 50, and I will do that without a players vote.

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
I shall move us on to Westminster, as that is the only part of the country that can revoke Article 50, and I will do that without a players vote.

This is an invalid move, the Supreme Court ruled that invoking Article 50 must be with the consent of all the players.

And with that I move to St James's Park

DerekC

Established Member
That's a very hard move to follow, but I believe that today of all days I can apply the Tardisian shift and with a warp factor of seven I get to:

Down Street

cactustwirly

Established Member
That's a very hard move to follow, but I believe that today of all days I can apply the Tardisian shift to:

Down Street

Invalid move, this has already been played with the Enigma Variations rule.

I shall correctly play the Tardisian shift with Aldwych

tgrb

I really wish it had the slightest in-cling how you lot work out what your doing and how to make the next rule up, it fascinates me! Listening to it on R4 the other day didn’t shed any light what so ever - merry Boxing Day everyone

DerekC

Established Member
Well, if you are going to be petty about it I will simply apply the Droit de Controlleurs Anciens and move the whole shebang to:

Paddington

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
An interesting move to be sure but I think possibly fatal. I believe that leaves me only twelve away from a victory and to start me on that run I will make an equilateral move to Upney.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Upney? UPNEY? At this stage of proceedings? I think not. I shall refer this to the Court of Arbitration: Chancery Lane

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
One has to admit when one has been outplayed by a true connoisseur of the game! My hopes for an early victory have certainly been dashed. However I believe under Paragraph 23(e)(iv) of Schedule Two of the Combined Mansion House and Chatsworth House Volume that I can however get out of my current predicament and play Richmond.

Status
Not open for further replies.