• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mosquitoes in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think we’ve had a few of these things biting us at night recently. I believe I caught one in the act a couple of nights ago in fact.

Is this likely to become a reality for us now due to rising temperatures does anyone know?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think we’ve had a few of these things biting us at night recently. I believe I caught one in the act a couple of nights ago in fact.

Is this likely to become a reality for us now due to rising temperatures does anyone know?
You get mosquitoes quite commonly enough in Scotland!

So you'd should certainly expect them down your way @Cowley ;)

Bevan Price

Established Member
They are unpleasant, but will only become dangerous if those infected with malaria reach UK.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
They're not new.

Indeed. Not only are mosquitos not new in the UK, but it's believed malaria was once endemic in the UK - gradually eliminated during the 19th century due to things like draining the swamps that malarial mosquitos bred in.

The mosquitos currently in the UK are unpleasant but not dangerous in terms of transmitting deadly diseases. It's definitely possible though that climate change may lead to more dangerous species eventually arriving.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

ac6000cw

Established Member
As others have said, they're definitely around in the UK - we've certainly had them in East Anglia for many years (my wife is prone to getting bitten and reacts badly to their bites, so we're quite 'aware' of them). To minimise the chances of getting bitten while asleep, we're careful to not put lights on in bedrooms when windows are open - to avoid attracting them in...

If you're prone to getting bitten by them and/or react badly to the bites, decent insect repellants can be quite effective at keeping them at bay.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Where you based? Devon? Quite likely that the mozzies are there already! See news story from last year...

Hmmm. "The UK could face an invasion of mosquitoes within the next month - with warm and moist conditions providing the perfect breeding conditions." Warm, definitely. But moist? Has Wales having significantly different weather from England that I've not been aware of? In my part of London, mosquitos seem to be much rarer this year than I'd normally expect in August, which I had assumed was because it is so dry.

XAM2175

Established Member
There are 10 known species of mosquito native to Scotland
Mercifully, for myself at least, I don't find them a bother. Whereas in Australia it's like I'm a Michelin-starred restaurant for the bloody things <(

westv

Established Member
To minimise the chances of getting bitten while asleep, we're careful to not put lights on in bedrooms when windows are open - to avoid attracting them in...
I thought they were attracted to carbon dioxide being expelled.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I seem to attract every mossie within half a mile, whereas my wife goes scot free!

Midges and mozzies love me, as do horseflies (which are particularly nasty as they really hurt when they bite!) Oddly, though, ticks don't, never had one despite being outdoors a lot and near enough always wearing shorts.

I've heard it said that each have preferred blood types and scents.

My general view has always tended towards "you can have some blood if you like, just don't hurt me while you're taking it or give me diseases!"

Sm5

Seens them in the south for years… they are as common as Himalayan green parrots in my neighbourhood… thousands of them.

Pete_uk

Established Member
In the aftermath of the July floods around Gloucestershire in I think it was 07 when we had about four or five mosquitos in every room!

If you look in a open water butt or pond and see a small tadpole like thing with a round head, straight body and a V shaped tail one part of which is up against the surface, that is a larvae.

I could just post a picture I suppose!

Picture shows mosquito larvae.

Attachments

• What_Do_Mosquito_Larvae_Look_Like.jpg
    What_Do_Mosquito_Larvae_Look_Like.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 27

E27007

Indeed. Not only are mosquitos not new in the UK, but it's believed malaria was once endemic in the UK - gradually eliminated during the 19th century due to things like draining the swamps that malarial mosquitos bred in.

The mosquitos currently in the UK are unpleasant but not dangerous in terms of transmitting deadly diseases. It's definitely possible though that climate change may lead to more dangerous species eventually arriving.
The Isle of Grain, Hoo Junction/Kent, for a many years the marshes are treated for mosquito-borne diseases, said to be the last place in England where you could conbtract malaria, from earlier posts that may not be true

Foodstuffs said to deter mosquitoes are garlic, marmite and vitamin B. You either love or hate them but I bet you hate mosquitoes even more!

route101

Established Member
See them quite often. Flies are bigger problem in my house, open the window and 3 or 4 come in and circle in the middle of room.

What about Midges south of the border?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Foodstuffs said to deter mosquitoes are garlic, marmite and vitamin B. You either love or hate them but I bet you hate mosquitoes even more!

I love garlic, it goes in pretty much everything I cook in high quantities, and I take Beroccas which give you such an overdose of B vitamins that they turn your urine orange. But they still go for me, so I think that's an old wives' tale.

What does work is DEET, but it's not a nice chemical.

Status
Not open for further replies.