• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most Intimidating Place To Wait For a Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
Altnabreac (and yes, I have), not because of scallies/chavs/any people whatsoever, but because if it all goes wrong you're very much on your own, 10+ miles from civilisation. I guess a few of the WHL stations are the same, e.g. Corrour.
Indeed. I've walked from Westerdale to Altnabreac and saw not a soul at any point. This was a sunny Sunday in July too. I'd not want to be there in any bad weather.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternBiker

The station with the highest rate of thefts per passenger is Barming (12 thefts per 100,000 passengers in 2018-19) on the line from Maidstone to Swanley Jn. It's in a deprived area, but the station itself feels quite remote.

Journeyman

Established Member
Indeed. I've walked from Westerdale to Altnabreac and saw not a soul at any point. This was a sunny Sunday in July too. I'd not want to be there in any bad weather.
I did a hike around there between trains once, a loop of about eight miles. A dog came bounding up to me from a cottage near the station and stuck with me for the whole hike, but I didn't see any humans.

Altnabreac (and yes, I have), not because of scallies/chavs/any people whatsoever, but because if it all goes wrong you're very much on your own, 10+ miles from civilisation. I guess a few of the WHL stations are the same, e.g. Corrour.
I've always found Corrour incredibly calming. If no-one's around then it can be as quiet and peaceful as the surface of the moon. In a storm it'd be a very different story though, I could imagine that being quite scary. The platform shelter is comfortable but doesn't have a door so there isn't the best shelter from the elements.

If you did find yourself stranded there though then you'd probably be alright. There's a functioning SOS phone and WiFi from the ridiculous Caledonian Sleeper Totem. You're also a mile from a hostel manned most of the year and five miles from Corrour Lodge so if you're trapped there is shelter available. Though if you're unsure of the way you're far safer to stay put and call for help.

Worth remembering if you ever find yourself stranded in a station that you're probably in a safe place where you can wait for the next train or for people to find you. If you leave the station at Altnabreac or Corrour and try to walk out then you're going to find yourself in an incredibly remote area very quickly. Walking off in the wrong direction, even a short distance in the wrong conditions, could be a fatal mistake.

al78

Established Member
Somewhat related. After an evening out with friends in Burgess Hill I was waiting on the platform (on my own) to get back to Horsham via Three Bridges and there was a lone woman (well wrapped up, so it must have been winter) on the platform. From my vague recollection the platform at Burgess Hill is not well lit and upon seeing this woman, I immediately thought she must be feeling vulnerable, so I made sure to put some distance between us to minimise the chance of her feeling threatened by my presence (very sad I should feel like that).

al78

Established Member
Worth remembering if you ever find yourself stranded in a station that you're probably in a safe place where you can wait for the next train or for people to find you. If you leave the station at Altnabreac or Corrour and try to walk out then you're going to find yourself in an incredibly remote area very quickly. Walking off in the wrong direction, even a short distance in the wrong conditions, could be a fatal mistake.
I agree, there are parts of Scotland I have felt very small and vulnerable despite the fact that Scotland is a small country and you are never more than a day walk from some form of civilisation. People who go walking from somewhere like Corrour will almost certainly have poor weather clothing, a map and compass, and will have planned in advance where they are going.

Iskra

Established Member
I’ve never found a specific station intimidating, what I find more alarming is when a station that is normally fine is swarming with unpredictable drunk louts on a Saturday night, and develops a hostile atmosphere where some people are spoiling for any excuse for a fight. That’s the only time I ever really find the network intimidating.

Journeyman

Established Member
People who go walking from somewhere like Corrour will almost certainly have poor weather clothing, a map and compass, and will have planned in advance where they are going.
Anyone who goes to Corrour without doing that is asking for trouble!

I hiked from there to Loch Chiarain bothy a few years ago. It's about nine miles, but I found it surprisingly tough going, and it took a lot longer than I expected. You certainly need to be well prepared around there.

Cletus

Established Member
I'd imagine there'd nearly always be a documentary maker at Corrour nowadays :smile:

alex397

Established Member
Things may have changed since about 10-15 years ago, but Loughton on the LU Central Line wasn’t a particularly nice place in the evenings. Gangs of youths with no one to deal with them and absolutely miserable apathetic station staff. The place was an unofficial youth centre, and a good place to go if you wanted some ‘gear’.

Journeyman

Established Member
Things may have changed since about 10-15 years ago, but Loughton on the LU Central Line wasn’t a particularly nice place in the evenings. Gangs of youths with no one to deal with them and absolutely miserable apathetic station staff. The place was an unofficial youth centre, and a good place to go if you wanted some ‘gear’.
Unfortunately staff aren't too fond of the serious aggro they'd get if they tried dealing with the problem, and having worked in similar places myself, I can't say I blame them. Honestly, you're not paid enough to risk getting your head kicked in by a gang.

Parallel

Established Member
A few from me -

Stapleton Road - Not in the nicest part of Bristol, OK in the daytime but really wouldn't want to be there at night. Could probably say the same for several other Bristol suburban stations.

I wouldn't want to visit some of the South Wales stations at night, namely places like Treforest Estate, Pyle etc. Llanharan always seems to have broken glass over the platforms every time I've been on a train that's stopped there.

Although I've not used it at night, I can't imagine Cosham is pleasant. Didn't GWR stop calling there in the evening due to anti-social/threatening behaviour towards staff?

Hilsea is another I wouldn't want to use after dark.

alex397

Established Member
Unfortunately staff aren't too fond of the serious aggro they'd get if they tried dealing with the problem, and having worked in similar places myself, I can't say I blame them. Honestly, you're not paid enough to risk getting your head kicked in by a gang.
Certainly agree, certainly not paid enough to deal with all the kids who have no decent parents.
The Loughton station staff were miserable no matter what the circumstance though. Just asking a simple question to them felt like asking them to solve all of the worlds problems. It was a huge contrast compared to the staff at central London stations. This was over a decade ago so maybe things have changed.
No doubt station staff at other suburban LU stations had to deal with similar bored teenagers.

Journeyman

Established Member
Certainly agree, certainly not paid enough to deal with all the kids who have no decent parents.
The Loughton station staff were miserable no matter what the circumstance though. Just asking a simple question to them felt like asking them to solve all of the worlds problems. It was a huge contrast compared to the staff at central London stations. This was over a decade ago so maybe things have changed.
No doubt station staff at other suburban LU stations had to deal with similar bored teenagers.
I was responsible for managing station staff in an area where guns and knives act as tickets. When you get constant aggro that you're powerless to prevent, and when the BTP are very rarely around, it's no surprise that morale nosedives. I did my best to try and help the staff I managed, but I'm not great with confrontation myself, and after I got assaulted trying my best to deal with what looked like an entirely normal situation, I just got out of there. It's a big problem in certain places and it's very hard to know what to do about it.

alex397

Established Member
I was responsible for managing station staff in an area where guns and knives act as tickets. When you get constant aggro that you're powerless to prevent, and when the BTP are very rarely around, it's no surprise that morale nosedives. I did my best to try and help the staff I managed, but I'm not great with confrontation myself, and after I got assaulted trying my best to deal with what looked like an entirely normal situation, I just got out of there. It's a big problem in certain places and it's very hard to know what to do about it.
That sounds awful, so completely understandable that morale wasn’t particularly high! I didn’t realise it was quite as bad as that.
That reminds me, I believe the local police didn’t deal with station issues as that was a BTP issue, even on the forecourt outside (I’m sure local police would respond for something very serious though). That’s what I was told when reporting anti-social behaviour there. Seems a bit ridiculous that police forces can’t work together for such things.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Lostock Hall and Mill Hill (Lancs) aren't particularly brilliant places to wait at night, the latter definitely worse than the former. Likely pales into insignificance compared to others in this thread though but ever since someone got stabbed outside Mill Hill station on a Sunday lunchtime I've been quite weary when in that area. Lostock Hall just tends to be populated by bored teenagers under the influence.

al78

Established Member
I'm guessing this is why Amereicans love their right to bear arms.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't seem to have mentioned Aughton Park on here. It's CCTVed up to the hilt now, but the platforms are down a deep cutting with only one exit (short of walking a long way down the track). It is in an extremely posh area, but any ASB that does go on, or did prior to CCTV fitment, tended to be at the station at night, with dumped drug paraphernalia often in evidence. It is staffed for the full period of service, but with the staff in a hut by the road a long way from the platforms they wouldn't likely be much help.

Journeyman

Established Member
I'm guessing this is why Amereicans love their right to bear arms.
The problem with that, of course, is that it raises petty everyday disagreements to potentially life and death situations.

bramling

Veteran Member
Which is the most intimidating place that you have waited for a train?

I have two examples:

Kirkby.
I alighted the Merseyrail train early evening on a dark, rainy winters night waiting for the last train to Wigan. Northern train cancelled and I waited for a rail replacement bus, the guy in the ticket office (which looked like Fort Knox) had no idea I waited about half an hour and decided to catch the Merseyrail back to Liverpool and travel via St Helens.
Lots of undesirables hanging in and around the station and platform.

Thorne North
I had been to a cricket match and a pal of mine who lives nearby dropped me off at Thorne North around 8pm. I had about 20 minutes to wait for the train. Lots of youths swearing and more on the platform, had to go for a 19 minute walk around Thorne, an eye opener, so as to only wait one minute for the train

Silverdale
This is a very long time ago when I was about 17. Three of us went camping using a very cheap tent, near the station. It rained all day and night and was blowing a gale. The tent blew over around 11pm. We were soaked so we headed to the unstaffed Silverdale Station and took shelter in the waiting area on the UP platform. At midnight all the lights on the station went out, then there was an almighty storm. Then around 0300 a train rattled through in the darkness. Spooky stuff!

How about Blackpool North? Kettled into a holding pen, then a mad dash when the legendary doors are opened.

HSP 2

How about Blackpool North? Kettled into a holding pen, then a mad dash when the legendary doors are opened.

I don't think that Blackpool North comes into this equation, it's well lit and at times well policed. Now Blackpool south!!

al78

Established Member
The problem with that, of course, is that it raises petty everyday disagreements to potentially life and death situations.
Yes, I think the perception of increased safety doesn't match the reality, but that is a debate for another time and place.

E100

I'll definitely agree with Corrour from a weather perspective. Wild camped in a hammock no less near the loch shoreline, just before lockdown last year and the temperature somewhat unexpectedly plunged from -2 (forecast) to -8C. Thankfully I was prepared and snugly slept well! The Caledonian Sleeper was a most warm welcome in the morning! Couple of photos attached.

Altnabreac was intimidating from the perspective I bumped into the resident of the house at the station. Had only about 3 teeth from what I could tell and an large very yappy german shepherd. As I was wild camping 'only' a mile from his house I figured that was probably still too close for his sake being in his back yard.

Attachments

• 47F8544B-9825-401F-9659-6E5873E13B16.jpeg
    47F8544B-9825-401F-9659-6E5873E13B16.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 53
  • B7B12A99-484D-44C7-BC04-312673FCEB62.jpeg
    B7B12A99-484D-44C7-BC04-312673FCEB62.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
  • F81F77CE-3334-4333-991A-2B106AA50A01.jpeg
    F81F77CE-3334-4333-991A-2B106AA50A01.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 52

E100

Sellafield is another intimidating place if you aren't there on business (heck even if you are it still is). CNC are regularly outside the station or even on the platform and frequently do various bits and bobs around there.

PS not sure what happened with the third photo above. It's the correct orientation when you open it.

Journeyman

Established Member
I'll definitely agree with Corrour from a weather perspective. Wild camped in a hammock no less near the loch shoreline, just before lockdown last year and the temperature somewhat unexpectedly plunged from -2 (forecast) to -8C. Thankfully I was prepared and snugly slept well! The Caledonian Sleeper was a most warm welcome in the morning! Couple of photos attached.

Altnabreac was intimidating from the perspective I bumped into the resident of the house at the station. Had only about 3 teeth from what I could tell and an large very yappy german shepherd. As I was wild camping 'only' a mile from his house I figured that was probably still too close for his sake being in his back yard.
Fantastic shots! I'm absolutely itching to get back out there again!

blue87

Back in 99/ early 2000s bashing 37s on the North Wales coast I bailed at Flint to get a 37 back other way there was lots of youths hanging about some jumping off the platform to cross the tracks and into the housing estate the other side of the station I felt pretty uneasy there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Back in 99/ early 2000s bashing 37s on the North Wales coast I bailed at Flint to get a 37 back other way there was lots of youths hanging about some jumping off the platform to cross the tracks and into the housing estate the other side of the station I felt pretty uneasy there.

Unfortunately most of the towns along the North Wales Coast east of Llandudno are basically chavvy (scally?) suburbs of Liverpool with a slightly nicer view of the sea. So not just Flint, unfortunately.

Journeyman

Established Member
I did quite a lot of 37-bashing on the North Wales Coast in 96/97, usually on overnighters, and often found some quite scary people on board the trains. I'd choose my seat very carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.