• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most Intimidating Place To Wait For a Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
Not always so in Germany - and have witnessed similar levels of behaviour (of a drunken etc nature) in diverse places as Freiburg (a very pleasant city) , Hamburg and Berlin. All on "S" Bahn services.

The Paris RER - can be very unappealing - even in the evening towards Marne-la-Vallee , about the only time where I have seen gangs internally tagging trains with no chance of being caught as all the caveronous stations are completely unmanned , and of course DOO services.

Not always so great outside this country. Frankly after some of these occasions , I felt very safe on the London system.
I've heard plenty of horror stories about public transport in Paris. A work colleague was recently mugged by a very aggressive gang on a crowded train, and a female friend who lived there for a while was groped openly on the Metro on a practically daily basis, with everyone around her pretending not to notice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alex397

Established Member
While I’ve never had problems myself in most cities of the continent, Paris is another matter. The place has a very intimidating atmosphere, as beautiful as parts of the city are.
I’ve been to the city twice and only travelled on public transport there during the day, and there were drunks, countless people jumping barriers, opportunists waiting at the ticket machines to ‘help’ people, gangs waiting at station exits looking for an easy target. The touristy areas were awful too, where someone tried to mug me by the Sacré-Cœur.
While a lot of the anti-social behaviour concerns me in the UK, I’ve never felt as intimidated as I have in Paris on any of my travels across Europe. Most worrying was the very obvious gang crime in broad daylight, with nothing being done about it.
Should have mentioned it on my first post in this thread.

I've heard plenty of horror stories about public transport in Paris. A work colleague was recently mugged by a very aggressive gang on a crowded train, and a female friend who lived there for a while was groped openly on the Metro on a practically daily basis, with everyone around her pretending not t
Never been impressed with the Paris Metro. Reminds me of the LU in the 1980's. Dirty and scruffy with a moody atmosphere. LU generally feels pretty safe.

As for incidents in Germany, it would be foolish to suggest there have never been any instances of anti social behaviour. However the general approach and attitude to public transport on the continent is more valued than that in the UK. Possibly because public transport is still state owned and so a higher proportion of the population, from different demographics use it. When I was in Switzerland, anyone caught fare dodging had their name published in the local paper.

To suggest that Yoofs would run consistently wild on German Regional Express Trains, weekend after weekend, forcing the guard to lock himself in his cab is absurd. The shrug of the shoulders and "can't do anything" attitude isn't tolerated on German trains.

Sprinter107

A certain station I call at is very often plagued by groups of youths during the evening. On a short train, I usually have to pull down the platform, otherwise they throw missiles at the guard from the footbridge, or spit over them. On a longer train, there's not a lot I can do. In the other direction, its always preferable to pull up just past the car stop and go the other side of the footbridge, otherwise they spit all across the windscreen.

Ken H

On Moderation
Some well dodgy places abroad
Brussel Chapelle. Was covered in graffiti when I lived in Brussels.
The Rue d'Aerschott side of Brussels Nord. Hmmm. Look on street view of you havent been there! And some of the Brussels suburban stations worried my Indian colleague. So we used the trams in the evenings.
not been to brussels since 2002.
A few stations on the Berlin U-bahn are not too clever. Schönleinstraße is one. But even some quiet corners of Hauptbanhof you need to be wary,
And of course there were the terrible events on new Years Eve 2015-2016 in Cologne.

Iskra

Established Member
While I’ve never had problems myself in most cities of the continent, Paris is another matter. The place has a very intimidating atmosphere, as beautiful as parts of the city are.
I’ve been to the city twice and only travelled on public transport there during the day, and there were drunks, countless people jumping barriers, opportunists waiting at the ticket machines to ‘help’ people, gangs waiting at station exits looking for an easy target. The touristy areas were awful too, where someone tried to mug me by the Sacré-Cœur.
While a lot of the anti-social behaviour concerns me in the UK, I’ve never felt as intimidated as I have in Paris on any of my travels across Europe. Most worrying was the very obvious gang crime in broad daylight, with nothing being done about it.
Should have mentioned it on my first post in this thread.
Totally agree with the Paris Metro; it has a menacing, frenzied atmosphere and you really have to keep your wits about you at all times- even more so than Naples.

Meerkat

Established Member
Totally agree with the Paris Metro; it has a menacing, frenzied atmosphere and you really have to keep your wits about you at all times- even more so than Naples.
The only time I went on the Paris Metro (over 20 years ago) a hooker (a midget in a basque and overcoat) picked up a businessman client right next to me on the train.
”I will be a bit late in….metro issue” presumably??

Rab Smith

Naples Garibaldi Central Station is an eye opener! It reminded me a bit of Kings Cross in the 80's. Gangs of youths hanging around beside the bus station. Some of the stations the Barcelona Metro serves can be quite intimidating as well. As for the Paris Metro, I vouch that it is full of absolute bandits and care should be taken around the entrances, especially in the tourist areas. With all these places though, a bit of common sense goes a long way.
Quite recently though, I felt very intimidated outside London Liverpool Street. When I came out the main entrance I was approached by a guy and asked if I had money. He was part of a large group of beggars who were aggressively asking people for money. I turned and went back into the Station where I felt a bit safer. Gangs of youths don't tend to bother me much if they are just messing around. A good set of headphones blocks out their annoying behaviour. It's the obvious criminals that I feel unsafe around.

Gloster

Established Member
Although there are places in mainland Europe that do have problems with anti-social behaviour it does seem that they are mostly in the main cities. Posters in this forum will have far more experience of spending time in large cities than in small towns and villages, but the problems do not seem to be countrywide. Here in Britain the difference seems to be that thoroughly unpleasant behaviour frequently occurs in plenty of places outside of the cities. What is largely a big city problem abroad is a national one here. (All my opinion, but I have spent a lot of time living abroad, including in small towns.)

Ken H

On Moderation
Kids want somewhere to be away from adults to hang out. Stations have places with shelter and seats and if the service is infrequent they will be undisturbed. If Europe's kids are not on stations they will have found somewhere better.

The exile

Established Member
Never been impressed with the Paris Metro. Reminds me of the LU in the 1980's. Dirty and scruffy with a moody atmosphere. LU generally feels pretty safe.

As for incidents in Germany, it would be foolish to suggest there have never been any instances of anti social behaviour. However the general approach and attitude to public transport on the continent is more valued than that in the UK. Possibly because public transport is still state owned and so a higher proportion of the population, from different demographics use it. When I was in Switzerland, anyone caught fare dodging had their name published in the local paper.

To suggest that Yoofs would run consistently wild on German Regional Express Trains, weekend after weekend, forcing the guard to lock himself in his cab is absurd. The shrug of the shoulders and "can't do anything" attitude isn't tolerated on German trains.
It no doubt also helps that the inability to produce ID documents when required is in itself an offence. Many transport authorities have groups of plain clothes security guards of the type you don’t argue with - who do revenue protection (ID taken and bank details provided for the transfer) and evening security. Doesn’t stop the sob stories though!

nanstallon

It no doubt also helps that the inability to produce ID documents when required is in itself an offence. Many transport authorities have groups of plain clothes security guards of the type you don’t argue with - who do revenue protection (ID taken and bank details provided for the transfer) and evening security. Doesn’t stop the sob stories though!
Can you imagine British TOCs or Network Rail spending any of their hard earned (!) income on employing security guards to cover the numerous unstaffed unofficial toilets that they have the nerve to call stations?

Meerkat

Established Member
Can you imagine British TOCs or Network Rail spending any of their hard earned (!) income on employing security guards to cover the numerous unstaffed unofficial toilets that they have the nerve to call stations?
They would need to be in pairs and would have limited rights to do anything other than call the police, who wouldn’t prioritise it.
security guards in my old office weren’t allowed to interfere - they had to sit and watch on CCTV as some crooks broke a window, lifted a load of laptops, and legged it before the plod turned up!
Can control broadcast over station PA? Play the kids some progressive rock from the 70s, and describe what they are doing so they know it’s on cctv.
Bit of work and imagine the embarrassment factor….
”Is that you Kevin? Not sure about those trousers. Do you need us to call your mum to pick you up?”

bramling

Veteran Member
When I say this, I often get a reply such as “it’s like it everywhere”. Sure, anti-social behaviour happens anywhere, but in my opinion there is a noticeable difference between the UK and some countries on the continent.
People seem unwilling at admit that the yob culture is a big problem in British society.

I'd say the problem we have in (parts of) Britain is there's too many people with "nothing to do". There's a deficiency somewhere either in terms of education or upbringing, as no one's mind should be sufficiently empty that they have nothing else to do but hang out somewhere like a platform.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd say the problem we have in (parts of) Britain is there's too many people with "nothing to do". There's a deficiency somewhere either in terms of education or upbringing, as no one's mind should be sufficiently empty that they have nothing else to do but hang out somewhere like a platform.

It's a lack of places for youth to freely do this kind of thing without adults breathing down their neck that is an issue. Some people seem to expect that kids should be "doing stuff" all the time. Why should they? Adults have a wide choice of very popular places to sit chatting with no productive aim - they are called "pubs" - teenagers have very few such places, though I guess the increased prevalence of informal cafes and coffee places do help.

DustyBin

Established Member

In simple terms this is it unfortunately.

DustyBin

Established Member
It's a lack of places for youth to freely do this kind of thing without adults breathing down their neck that is an issue. Some people seem to expect that kids should be "doing stuff" all the time. Why should they? Adults have a wide choice of very popular places to sit chatting with no productive aim - they are called "pubs" - teenagers have very few such places, though I guess the increased prevalence of informal cafes and coffee places do help.

I some cases yes, but the problem runs much deeper than that.

The exile

Established Member
They would need to be in pairs and would have limited rights to do anything other than call the police, who wouldn’t prioritise it.
security guards in my old office weren’t allowed to interfere - they had to sit and watch on CCTV as some crooks broke a window, lifted a load of laptops, and legged it before the plod turned up!
Can control broadcast over station PA? Play the kids some progressive rock from the 70s, and describe what they are doing so they know it’s on cctv.
Bit of work and imagine the embarrassment factor….
”Is that you Kevin? Not sure about those trousers. Do you need us to call your mum to pick you up?”
The German teams are of 3 or 4, one of whom often has 4 legs. Fortunately I’ve never found what the legal extent of their powers is, but I suspect that the law is rather more on their side than it would be here.

bramling

Veteran Member
I some cases yes, but the problem runs much deeper than that.

Absolutely. We have a funny culture in this country that anyone with any kind of interest or hobby is “sad” or “a geek”, yet it’s considered normal to spend the day sitting on a street corner or hanging out in the local shopping precinct.

One finds it hard not to conclude that our education system simply isn’t doing what it should do. Rather than enrich young people it seems to do more to debase.

Ken H

On Moderation
Absolutely. We have a funny culture in this country that anyone with any kind of interest or hobby is “sad” or “a geek”, yet it’s considered normal to spend the day sitting on a street corner or hanging out in the local shopping precinct.

One finds it hard not to conclude that our education system simply isn’t doing what it should do. Rather than enrich young people it seems to do more to debase.
perhaps we needed a poll. where did we hang out when teenagers?

Journeyman

Established Member
Rather more specifically, it's certain hobbies and interests that are sad. If you're absolutely obsessed with football, no-one will bat an eyelid.

bramling

Veteran Member
Railway stations. :)

Can I be the wild card and say I tended to spend time “hanging out” at home, always one thing or another to be getting on with. Then by late teen years I had discovered the countryside.

It perhaps doesn’t help that there has been a trend for the size of properties in this country to decrease (both buildings and gardens). But I don’t think that’s any more than a contributory factor.

Journeyman

Established Member
Can I be the wild card and say I tended to spend time “hanging out” at home, always one thing or another to be getting on with. Then by late teen years I had discovered the countryside.

It perhaps doesn’t help that there has been a trend for the size of properties in this country to decrease (both buildings and gardens). But I don’t think that’s any more than a contributory factor.
In a slightly more serious reply, I got involved in a church youth group, which had quite a vibrant social scene attached to it. It kept me out of trouble in one sense, although unfortunately I got drawn into a rather extreme and uncompromising form of Christianity that did untold damage later on. That's another story, though.

The exile

Established Member
Although there are places in mainland Europe that do have problems with anti-social behaviour it does seem that they are mostly in the main cities. Posters in this forum will have far more experience of spending time in large cities than in small towns and villages, but the problems do not seem to be countrywide. Here in Britain the difference seems to be that thoroughly unpleasant behaviour frequently occurs in plenty of places outside of the cities. What is largely a big city problem abroad is a national one here. (All my opinion, but I have spent a lot of time living abroad, including in small towns.)
Based on similar experiences - and without trying to idealise (or generalise). There has been far more population movement (internally) in the UK for far longer than in most of continental Europe - with the result that there are far fewer close-knit communities here. In most continental small town neighbourhoods, if you were hanging round the station (or anywhere else) and getting up to no good, it wouldn't be long before the local bush telegraph was humming and the news got back to your parents, who had innocently been thinking you were "visiting a friend". Now, that isn't going to be a disincentive to all, but it will be to nearly all for a while, most for quite a bit and some for ever... In contrast - if you see a group of kids hanging round the local station in your small UK town, what are the chances that you're in the same football club / choir / pub quiz league as any of their parents / grandparents / big brothers/sisters etc?
Add to that the fact that small towns will have their active youth sports clubs and leagues, together with unofficial centres of underage drinking , sorry, vital pillars of the local community such as the Youth division of the voluntary fire brigade to reduce the number of bored kids.
It's also a matter of culture - and I don't just mean the "yob culture" that many bemoan. Here, we tend to the "let's not get involved" (which of course is then reinforced by feelings of intimidation) - the flip side of which is "no one has the right to tell me how to behave". Other cultures actively encourage "getting involved" and showing "civil courage" - or indeed require it by law. That probably doesn't make much difference once an area / time of day has been taken over by "yob rule" - but possibly plays a big part in slowing the descent to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.