• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most pleasant place to wait for a train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
In terms of something interesting to pass the time*, Blackfriars is hard to beat. The view over the Thames with its endless flow of boats against a world famous skyline never fails to grab my attention, day or night - as long as you are wrapped up well in colder times!
* It's ironic that as the service through the Thameslink core is so frequent, there's rarely a need to spend much time admiring the view at Blackfriars.

A +1 from Blackfriars here, for London stations anyway!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Master Cutler

Bodorgan on Anglesey is my choice, especially as it's a main line request stop.
We often use it in preference to Bangor when visiting Chester or for other North Wales locations.
Good for watching the Avanti Holyhead services hurtling through as well.

Tracked

Established Member
Dronfield - been a few times (mainly to pubs) and it's a nice little spot, chip shop over the road (although I've never tried it), and a fairly busy mainline with some freight. If the Dronfield Arms is open again, that's alright had a beer garden in view of the line.

Probably more of a watch the trains go by place:

Joan Croft Crossing (site of), Thorpe-in-Balne - the crossing's no longer there, but there's a little space to park either side of the ECML. No facilities, but it's a quiet area off a single track road with views of the ECML and a couple of the freight lines. Went up there a couple of times in Lockdown 2 for a few hours, when it was just about nice enough.

HSP 2

Dolau, Glan Conwy and Kirkby-in-Furness are two which spring to mind.

Which is the one that doesn't spring to mind?

Oxenholme has a very pleasant view to the west and can have some very good views of the sundown over the hills.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Lewes not the worst place to wait for a train. Often some railway-related activity on an adjacent platform whilst waiting for your train to arrive.

Iskra

Established Member
I like Garsdale, Crianlarich, Loch Eil Outward Bound, St Erth and Kyle of Localsh.

Plus stations with good pubs; Sheffield, Dewsbury, Cleethorpes, Huddersfield etc...

Or a nice First Class Lounge: Euston, Kings Cross, Inverness (sleeper), Cardiff, Paddington etc.

I've always enjoyed Lancaster and Carnforth too from an enthusiasts perspective.

Last edited:

greyman42

Established Member
Not on a Friday or Saturday evening; it becomes something of a hell hole.
York can be a bit rowdy on a weekend but i would not describe it as a hell hole. There always seems to be enough police around as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.