• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most Scenic Bus Route

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Rail

The 40 is generally closed top, although the 50s have a mix of closed top, part open top and open top (part open top has a fixed roof for about 40% of the top deck, the remainder being permanently open)

The 50 is open top all year round. The three half tops operate all year and during the school summer holidays the six convertibles have their roofs removed when the frequency increases to half hourly. No journeys on the 50 are booked for closed top although the winter PVR is 3 so inevitably closed tops do cover for the half tops in the winter. Also, we generally run the last two round trips from Swanage at 1725 & 1825 with closed tops in the winter.

The 40 is closed top all year although if open tops have been in Poole for maintenance or breakdowns, they are sometimes sent back to Swanage on early morning or late night 40s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The 50 is open top all year round. The three half tops operate all year and during the school summer holidays the six convertibles have their roofs removed when the frequency increases to half hourly. No journeys on the 50 are booked for closed top although the winter PVR is 3 so inevitably closed tops do cover for the half tops in the winter. Also, we generally run the last two round trips from Swanage at 1725 & 1825 with closed tops in the winter.

The 40 is closed top all year although if open tops have been in Poole for maintenance or breakdowns, they are sometimes sent back to Swanage on early morning or late night 40s.

Thanks for that. I did mean both were deckers but yes, the 40 is closed top usually and the 50 O/T in summer. I can only blame the first evidence of senility.

The 50 (formerly 150) was, prior to c.1988, a single deck service with Bristol LHs and their cut away front before some Olympians were duly converted to convertible open top and had ferry lifts fitted. I guess it wasn't quite the same experience on an LH and wouldn't be regarded as quite as scenic! I never did it; the only W&D LH I experienced was on the 143 (now 40).

E-Rail

Thanks for that. I did mean both were deckers but yes, the 40 is closed top usually and the 50 O/T in summer. I can only blame the first evidence of senility.

The 50 (formerly 150) was, prior to c.1988, a single deck service with Bristol LHs and their cut away front before some Olympians were duly converted to convertible open top and had ferry lifts fitted. I guess it wasn't quite the same experience on an LH and wouldn't be regarded as quite as scenic! I never did it; the only W&D LH I experienced was on the 143 (now 40).
The 40 is quite scenic (on a clear day at least) between Swanage and Corfe Castle over the top road and it's final sweep into Poole alongside Holes Bay can be great for sunsets over the harbour.

route101

Established Member
Done a few yesterday.

359 Girvan to Newton Stewart , Stagecoach.

X74 on the A701 .

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The 40 is quite scenic (on a clear day at least) between Swanage and Corfe Castle over the top road and it's final sweep into Poole alongside Holes Bay can be great for sunsets over the harbour.

It is. A few years ago, I drove down with better half and mother and parked up at Norden and got the train into Swanage, before getting a very popular decker back across through Corfe.

Done a few yesterday.

359 Girvan to Newton Stewart , Stagecoach.

X74 on the A701 .

Cycled that TO Girvan and have never not got the bus. Certainly, the views over to Ailsa Craig approaching Girvan are quite nice. One to add onto the never ending list of places/services to experience.

route101

Established Member
It is. A few years ago, I drove down with better half and mother and parked up at Norden and got the train into Swanage, before getting a very popular decker back across through Corfe.

Cycled that TO Girvan and have never not got the bus. Certainly, the views over to Ailsa Craig approaching Girvan are quite nice. One to add onto the never ending list of places/services to experience.

Great view over to Ailsa Craig. Bit sparse over the A714, looks a good place for a camping holiday.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I'm going to add a couple of routes which are very close to home.

The X3 Manx Express which goes via the Snaefell mountain road, and the 3 Douglas to Ramsey via Laxey. North of Laxey the views are stunning, both out to sea and the other side towards Snaefell and North Barrule.

philthetube

Established Member
Has anyone else done the 322 over the string on the Isle of Arran, Stunning, a long way up and a long way down with spectacular sea veiws.

route101

Established Member
Has anyone else done the 322 over the string on the Isle of Arran, Stunning, a long way up and a long way down with spectacular sea veiws.

Yes , last year. Arran is fun on the buses. Though last time to do the full circle, had to change buses at Blackwaterfoot , some fellow passengers were miffed as they wanted to do the bottom half. Either timetable lied or there was an issue.

johnnychips

Established Member
I’m going to throw in the Salisbury Reds 29 from Salisbury to Shaftesbury. Both terminuses are great places and in between are chalk hills, narrow lanes, watercress streams and picture-postcard villages. Shame about Odstock Hospital.

cnjb8

Established Member
TrentBartons Sixes 6.1 between Duffield and Bakewell offers spectacular views of the Derwent Valley. Belper, Wirksworth, Matlock and Bakewell are really nice places.

daodao

Established Member
TrentBartons Sixes 6.1 between Duffield and Bakewell offers spectacular views of the Derwent Valley. Belper, Wirksworth, Matlock and Bakewell are really nice places.
The Derby-Bakewell bus route via the Ecclesbourne and Derwent valleys is very pleasant but not spectacular, from my recollection over 40 years ago when I used it once to travel from Derby to join my parents for Sunday lunch at the Peacock Inn, Rowsley. Route 58 from Macclesfield to Chatsworth House via the Cat & Fiddle and Monyash, which I used 10 years ago, is far more spectacular.

route101

Established Member

I done the Derby to Buxton service , pleasant ride up the A6.

S&CLER

Route 900/901 from Hebden Bridge to Huddersfield via Cragg Vale passes through fine moorland scenery and has the distinction of being routed along the road which has the longest continuous gradient in England. (I last went on it in 2015, so my information may be out of date.)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I’m going to throw in the Salisbury Reds 29 from Salisbury to Shaftesbury. Both terminuses are great places and in between are chalk hills, narrow lanes, watercress streams and picture-postcard villages. Shame about Odstock Hospital.

It's a lot of years since I did that one (probably on a W&D Metrorider) but that's a great shout

A few others that spring to mind that aren't the obvious classic ones but are hidden gems....

67 Berwick to Galashiels via Kelso - lots of lovely Lowland scenery as you follow the Tweed, the Border and the old rail line
X11 Sherborne to Dorchester - a fun run through the Dorset countryside past the Cerne Abbas Giant
46 Swindon to Hungerford - a trip through a hidden pocket of countryside that is bisected by the M4
5B Barnstaple to Exeter via everywhere (e.g. Bideford, Torrington, Okehampton, Hatherleigh, Crediton) but covering coast, moors and the rolling Devon countryside

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Friends of mine just did a route around Birmingham on the number 11, it took about 2 hours to do the complete circle.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Route 900/901 from Hebden Bridge to Huddersfield via Cragg Vale passes through fine moorland scenery and has the distinction of being routed along the road which has the longest continuous gradient in England. (I last went on it in 2015, so my information may be out of date.)

All fine (though only 3 trips a day instead of hourly at the moment with no sign of going back at the moment).

Last edited:

RELL6L

Agree with lots of these. I have done the 900 from Huddersfield to Hebden Bridge, this goes a slightly longer way round, and it is fabulous.

But try the 508 from Windermere to Penrith via the Kirkstone Pass. Outstanding!

northern506

Agree with lots of these. I have done the 900 from Huddersfield to Hebden Bridge, this goes a slightly longer way round, and it is fabulous.

But try the 508 from Windermere to Penrith via the Kirkstone Pass. Outstanding!

I agree the 508 is stunning - along with the 77/77A Keswick circulars via Honister.

The AD122 is also a decent one from Hexham to Haltwhistle via Hadrians Wall.

Whisky Papa

All fine (though only 4 trips a day instead of hourly at the moment with no sign of going back at the moment).

I only found 3 through trips on Metro's website, with a couple of additional journeys from Hebden Bridge to Cragg Vale on weekdays. Certainly a bit sparse for a service that used to run to Cragg Vale until late evening.

I can't recall exactly which year the 900 was introduced, but I think some time in the late 1990's? It was worked from the Huddersfield end by a regular driver using a Mercedes minibus, but not the usual 709/Plaxton that First generally used. Sprinter rings a bell, if that makes sense? It was supposed to deviate off-route if required, the driver carrying a mobile phone to allow contact, but I gather this rarely happened. It was a very limited timetable in those days, as the H1 provided the regular service from Hebden Bridge to Cragg Vale. The driver on the 900 used to take his break at the Hebden Bridge end, and quite often he would run up to Todmorden to use the facilities there.

Last edited:

BradK2017

I only found 3 through trips on Metro's website, with a couple of additional journeys from Hebden Bridge to Cragg Vale on weekdays. Certainly a bit sparse for a service that used to run to Cragg Vale until late evening.

I can't recall exactly which year the 900 was introduced, but I think some time in the late 1990's? It was worked from the Huddersfield end by a regular driver using a Mercedes minibus, but not the usual 709 that First generally. Sprinter rings a bell, if that makes sense? It was supposed to deviate off-route if required, the driver carrying a mobile phone to allow contact, but I gather this rarely happened. It was a very limited timetable in those days, as the H1 provided the regular service from Hebden Bridge to Cragg Vale. The driver on the 900 used to take his break at the Hebden Bridge end, and quite often he would run up to Todmorden to use the facilities there.

your correct on the Mercedes Sprinter (Fleetnumber 50242),think this was replaced in around 2002-2003 with a Solo in the Metro Connect livery

another hidden jem but not sure if operates anymore (well not this year at least!) is the 906 from Hebden Bridge to Widdop,the final 4 or so miles from Slack to Widdop being the best over open moorland before terminating next to Widdop reservoir

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
One which I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is the X4 from Middlesbrough to Whitby. It is a composite of 3 routes merged a few years ago, and you start by leaving Middlesbrough (hooray) and belt along the Coast Road past various bits of de-industrialised wastelands until Redcar.

Then it's along the coast there, heading to the Victorian coastal resort of Saltburn where you descend down into a valley by the pier and back up the other side - https://www.flickr.com/photos/61667...Yj-qWrnGp-rAMhzZ-NK9Sjn-dNSDfQ-hHo1q5-2784Zch

Then you climb up through the countryside to Skelton and then Loftus where United/Arriva had a depot. It's quite a nice ride though the towns are a bit meh! However, once you leave Loftus, you're into the countryside and begin to run near the coast dropping down past Boulby cliffs and the potash mine https://www.flickr.com/photos/77751183@N07/7853581804/in/photolist-cXZEfQ

The road runs across the tops of the cliffs so you don't actually enter Staithes or Runswick Bay fully, but still a good view and then bounding across open countryside till you reach Lythe. You then drop down a 1:4 hill (Lythe Bank) into Sandsend https://www.flickr.com/photos/j-s-p/12701557035/in/photolist-atiU72-kmoNoF

Sandsend is a beautiful village with a river running through it into the sea with an expanse of beach. You then follow the coast and the old railway line into Whitby.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

I can't recall exactly which year the 900 was introduced, but I think some time in the late 1990's? It was worked from the Huddersfield end by a regular driver using a Mercedes minibus, but not the usual 709 that First generally. Sprinter rings a bell, if that makes sense? It was supposed to deviate off-route if required, the driver carrying a mobile phone to allow contact, but I gather this rarely happened. It was a very limited timetable in those days, as the H1 provided the regular service from Hebden Bridge to Cragg Vale. The driver on the 900 used to take his break at the Hebden Bridge end, and quite often he would run up to Todmorden to use the facilities there.

Yes, it is 3, not 4. There's usually only run a few short daytime trips to Cragg Vale and then the hourly evening ones. Doesn't look to be reverting to pre-Covid as many services are from this weekend.

I used to live just off its route when it was introduced. It was originally 3 a day with one driver. You could also call the driver to reserve a space and send parcels for 50p. For a while, once a week I used to leave work and get a bus to Mytholmroyd and then the 900 home. I used to just miss a direct bus home and got there as soon as I would by getting a bus half an hour later from Halifax but I got a much more scenic route. On just one occasion I was left behind at Mytholmroyd as the bus was full - I got the next train to Sowerby Bridge and got a bus home from there and the driver let me know I could book a seat - I never did as I had other options to get home and a Metrocard.

I still use it to visit family in Ripponden - it used to work very well, with the 900 connecting well in Hebden Bridge with the 500 from Keighley. However long term roadworks led to the service running every 70 minutes with variable connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.