• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most Scenic Bus Route

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
I only discovered this route recently but it’s definitely one I want to travel on. I’m hoping to be down there next summer, so it’s on my list.

Done it a few years ago , one of most stunning routes ive been on in UK. And im from Scotland. Good idea is to buy Stagecoach ticket to get about.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
your correct on the Mercedes Sprinter (Fleetnumber 50242),think this was replaced in around 2002-2003 with a Solo in the Metro Connect livery

another hidden jem but not sure if operates anymore (well not this year at least!) is the 906 from Hebden Bridge to Widdop,the final 4 or so miles from Slack to Widdop being the best over open moorland before terminating next to Widdop reservoir

No, the 906 hasn't run since 2018.

It was touch and go in both 2017 and 2018 as to whether it would be funded.

Last edited:

RELL6L

Yes, it is 3, not 4. There's usually only run a few short daytime trips to Cragg Vale and then the hourly evening ones. Doesn't look to be reverting to pre-Covid as many services are from this weekend.

I used to live just off its route when it was introduced. It was originally 3 a day with one driver. You could also call the driver to reserve a space and send parcels for 50p. For a while, once a week I used to leave work and get a bus to Mytholmroyd and then the 900 home. I used to just miss a direct bus home and got there as soon as I would by getting a bus half an hour later from Halifax but I got a much more scenic route. On just one occasion I was left behind at Mytholmroyd as the bus was full - I got the next train to Sowerby Bridge and got a bus home from there and the driver let me know I could book a seat - I never did as I had other options to get home and a Metrocard.

I still use it to visit family in Ripponden - it used to work very well, with the 900 connecting well in Hebden Bridge with the 500 from Keighley. However long term roadworks led to the service running every 70 minutes with variable connections.
According to TLC Travel's own website (I didn't know they had one!) the service reverts to the pre-covid timetable from Tuesday. Nothing to this effect on Metro's website yet so I hope it is true.
Also if you want to know what timetables South Pennine Community Transport are running from Tuesday then their website seems to be the only source. Including the E4 which replaces the old 564. But not sure how scenic this is - I digress somewhat!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Also if you want to know what timetables South Pennine Community Transport are running from Tuesday then their website seems to be the only source. Including the E4 which replaces the old 564. But not sure how scenic this is - I digress somewhat!

Yes. Metro are missing loads this time. They've no mention of the dozen or so changes by the Keighley Bus company. Or the changes to the M4 that completely change the Sunday timetable from tomorrow (same frequency of 1bp2h but completely different times). About half of the changes aren't in the timetable section either. They told me on Twitter that they'd be updated by Wednesday but they weren't and they've ignored subsequent tweets.

The new 348 from South Pennine between Halifax and Holmfirth looks like it'll be a rather scenic route, but it might be a bit of a blur at 49 minutes. When the Elland bypass is closed they'll be lucky to get to West Vale in that time.

According to TLC Travel's own website (I didn't know they had one!) the service reverts to the pre-covid timetable from Tuesday. Nothing to this effect on Metro's website yet so I hope it is true.

I can't see any sign on their website that the 900/1 is returning to pre-Covid levels. They've a timetable showing a few extra journeys to and from Cragg Vale.

Last edited:

Whisky Papa

I can't see any sign on their website that the 900/1 is returning to pre-Covid levels. They've a timetable showing a few extra journeys to and from Cragg Vale.

I was surprised to find a TLC bus passing the house on Todmorden local route T1 (not one of the Most Scenic, apologies for going OT) at 2050 last night after months with nothiing much after 1800. That is the latest journey that they are running on the new timetable that came in yesterday, however, rather than restoring the full late finish.

RELL6L

The link I have found is

Then click on Huddersfield and choose 900/901/902 from 30 August.
This brings up the 2019 timetable, implying that this is what is running from now.
Clicking on Hebden Bridge brings up just the local journeys.
Some third party confirmation - like ideally seeing it actually running in service - would be helpful!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The link I have found is

Then click on Huddersfield and choose 900/901/902 from 30 August.
This brings up the 2019 timetable, implying that this is what is running from now.
Clicking on Hebden Bridge brings up just the local journeys.
Some third party confirmation - like ideally seeing it actually running in service - would be helpful!
That's odd. I clicked on Hebden Bridge then the 901 timetable from 30.08 and you get the recent timetable plus a couple of extra short journeys to/from Cragg Vale. The times are completely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.