• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My 00 Gauge layout - Oldmoor Junction Model Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s definitely better reducing the station Peter. I only mentioned freight because it’s always good to have a bit of extra interest in there.
What freight stock have you got on the layout?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
That’s definitely better reducing the station Peter. I only mentioned freight because it’s always good to have a bit of extra interest in there.
What freight stock have you got on the layout?
The freight stock on the layout consists entirely of four-wheel wagons - mostly box vans in various liveries but a few open wagons as well. I thought they'd work quite well with a heritage railway scene!
I like the idea of having more freight action on the layout and whilst I can't add anything else in, I think the railway centre will play a role in freight traffic.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think the thing about freight is that it’s quite enjoyable setting yourself little puzzles and moving things around in one area and then running a little trip freight to another area, or using a shunter to assemble a freight train for a larger loco to take away. It works well in 00 gauge too...
You could even use those uncoupling ramps and do it all hands free?

Peter C

Established Member
I think the thing about freight is that it’s quite enjoyable setting yourself little puzzles and moving things around in one area and then running a little trip freight to another area, or using a shunter to assemble a freight train for a larger loco to take away. It works well in 00 gauge too...
Definitely. I think the heritage station would be brilliant for this as it could easily work as a closed system thanks to the fact that there's quite a bit of track between the junction where the two lines come together to form one and there are plenty of points within the station area so a short freight working could be set up. That's assuming there aren't any passenger services for a while! :)

You could even use those uncoupling ramps and do it all hands free?
I could - I hadn't thought of that. Only thing being, knowing me, I'd want to uncouple wagons/engines in all sorts of different places and so the ramps would need to be everywhere!

-Peter

Oldmoor Junction Model Railway - Update 17-and-a-half-and-a-little-bit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the first time in the town's five year history, the people of Oldmoor can now visit a pub! It may be of interest to @Cowley that the pub has finally been constructed (bar the roof) and it is to open for business this evening. Dave Hatley, formerly of Batley, is the owner of the pub and he is very excited to be able to pour the first pints for his visitors. Mrs Miggins is less than impressed, though; her main concern is the current lack of any form of proper roof on the building, and she's also not happy about the idea of drunk pub-goers potentially stumbling into her shop and messing up her knitting supplies.
A local newspaper company, the Oldmoor Times, has sent a photographer out to the site and this is the photo they got:
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-20 at 15.34.16.jpeg
The square thing in front of the building is the pub sign, which is yet to be put up due to an argument between Mr Batley and the construction workers as to the height of said sign.
Eagle-eyed readers will notice that there is currently no path in front of the shops, and there is also no fence stopping people walking across the mainline and into the railway centre - this is an issue the town mayor is currently looking into and he expects a result by the end of the week (if the town councillors convince him to start actually working from home and not just sitting watching Netflix).

-Peter :)

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah that’s better. You didn’t want the townsfolk becoming bitter about not being able to buy bitter...
Anyway you’ve done a good job on the buildings, I’m especially liking the curtains.

Peter C

Established Member
Ah that’s better. You didn’t want the townsfolk becoming bitter about not being able to buy bitter...
Definitely - although I think the population is made up of three people and two sheep at the moment... ;)

Anyway you’ve done a good job on the buildings, I’m especially liking the curtains.
Thanks very much :) All bar the one on the far right are card kits, with the three on the left being from the Metcalfe kit I've been building over the past few weeks. It's quite straightforward once you build one as they're all based on the same basic principles, which is good seeing as the instructions are unusually simple for a Metcalfe kit. They're not dreadful, just a bit worse than other kits from them I've built. The curtains and blinds are done by putting bits of card on the inside of the walls to space them away from the windows and then changing how much the blinds have been moved up/down by cutting the pieces to length.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Definitely - although I think the population is made up of three people and two sheep at the moment... ;)

Thanks very much :) All bar the one on the far right are card kits, with the three on the left being from the Metcalfe kit I've been building over the past few weeks. It's quite straightforward once you build one as they're all based on the same basic principles, which is good seeing as the instructions are unusually simple for a Metcalfe kit. They're not dreadful, just a bit worse than other kits from them I've built. The curtains and blinds are done by putting bits of card on the inside of the walls to space them away from the windows and then changing how much the blinds have been moved up/down by cutting the pieces to length.

-Peter

It’s surprising what a difference little details like that can make. I altered one of the windows on the station kit that a bought so that it looks open. It still catches the eye just because it’s a little bit different.

Peter C

Established Member
It’s surprising what a difference little details like that can make. I altered one of the windows on the station kit that a bought so that it looks open. It still catches the eye just because it’s a little bit different.
Definitely. I'd never thought of doing that - I might have a go at making an open window in one of the shops I build next. I've seen your work on an open droplight coach window and I thought it was really cool so I'm planning to do that to one of my older coaches as well :)

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
Definitely. I think the heritage station would be brilliant for this as it could easily work as a closed system thanks to the fact that there's quite a bit of track between the junction where the two lines come together to form one and there are plenty of points within the station area so a short freight working could be set up. That's assuming there aren't any passenger services for a while! :)

I could - I hadn't thought of that. Only thing being, knowing me, I'd want to uncouple wagons/engines in all sorts of different places and so the ramps would need to be everywhere!

-Peter

Oldmoor Junction Model Railway - Update 17-and-a-half-and-a-little-bit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the first time in the town's five year history, the people of Oldmoor can now visit a pub! It may be of interest to @Cowley that the pub has finally been constructed (bar the roof) and it is to open for business this evening. Dave Hatley, formerly of Batley, is the owner of the pub and he is very excited to be able to pour the first pints for his visitors. Mrs Miggins is less than impressed, though; her main concern is the current lack of any form of proper roof on the building, and she's also not happy about the idea of drunk pub-goers potentially stumbling into her shop and messing up her knitting supplies.
A local newspaper company, the Oldmoor Times, has sent a photographer out to the site and this is the photo they got:
View attachment 89005
The square thing in front of the building is the pub sign, which is yet to be put up due to an argument between Mr Batley and the construction workers as to the height of said sign.
Eagle-eyed readers will notice that there is currently no path in front of the shops, and there is also no fence stopping people walking across the mainline and into the railway centre - this is an issue the town mayor is currently looking into and he expects a result by the end of the week (if the town councillors convince him to start actually working from home and not just sitting watching Netflix).

-Peter :)
The row of shops is looking good. No lockdown in Oldmoor then? I might make a trip :D

Incidentally, I went to school in Batley, and then did a lot of my early drinking in the towns pubs and clubs.

Peter C

Established Member
The row of shops is looking good. No lockdown in Oldmoor then? I might make a trip :D
Thanks very much! Yep, no lockdown - but there are travel restrictions; only people of 1:76 scale may enter due to, well, gauging issues... ;)

Incidentally, I went to school in Batley, and then did a lot of my early drinking in the towns pubs and clubs.
Ha - brilliant :) The name just randomly came to me and I thought I could turn it into a cheap joke, which probably wasn't as funny as I thought it was!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Can you shut it on a cold day?

Peter C

Established Member
Oldmoor Junction Model Railway - Update 18
--------------------------------------------------
Over the past week, I've been struggling to find a trackplan for the railway centre which does what I want it to do. I've been doing a lot of looking into the running lines at Didcot Railway Centre and I decided that I really wanted to have a demonstration line like their 'Branch Line' running line; something the design I showed last time didn't have. So, here's the millionth (OK, that might be an exaggeration) trackplan for the railway centre:
1611775480176.png
I've been working on it for about a week and it might take some explaining, so let's see how well this goes.

• Oldmoor Junction station has gained an extra platform, in the form of the new Platform 1. This is one end of the railway centre's demonstration line which runs from the mainline connection, across the centre, to a smaller station which will be designed to look like the station at the London end of Didcot's Branch Line (i.e. a small GWR halt). I thought having a platform in the mainline station would be a nice idea as it gives something different to the railway centre.
  • The track just above Platform 1 on this diagram - the one marked with a red asterisk - is the headshunt for the railway centre. It's long enough to hold a small 0-6-0 (or 0-4-2 as in my testing) locomotive and allows for an engine or coach to be stored out of the way during shunting moves. It also gives some extra operational flexibility; one of my criteria for this new design was that it needed to be designed in such a way that it could be operated independently from the rest of the layout (that meaning I could run trains about in the railway centre and not have to runs trains out of it to do certain shunting moves), and a headshunt was therefore a necessity. The reasoning for this bit is that the whole railway centre used to be a loco depot (much like Didcot) and that this siding was used for a station pilot engine to be held out of the way at Oldmoor Junction but still close enough to the platforms to allow for quick shunting. It's sandwiched between two platforms and will be fenced off in the same way that the former bay platform at Banbury has been fenced off, although unlike that one, this one will not be filled in with sand and the rubbish from the commuters in a morning.
  • The goods shed is the Metcalfe one which has been on the layout since the day dot and works quite well as being a through design instead of at the end of a piece of track. Engines needing to access one of the roads in the engine shed need to pass through the goods shed in order to do so and I think this adds interest to the design (and the operational potential, if wagons are left in the goods shed). Furthermore, by having this building in this position, it makes shunting moves for incoming and outcoming freight (mostly demonstration workings at the railway centre but the occasional coal or diesel delivery does need to get in) more interesting as trains must shunt back into Platform 1 at Oldmoor Junction before moving into the goods shed.
  • The Carriage and Wagon Shed will be a scratchbuilt building and will be able to hold two or three long coaches, just to add something other than engines and locomotive storage to the area. I expect it will be very much like Oldmoor T&RSMD in that it will have an elevated walkway between the two roads to allow for easy access to coaches and wagons. A small shunter could also fit in there if needed I suppose.
  • The Engine Shed will be designed in the same way as Didcot Railway Centre's 1932 building, and will also be scratchbuilt. Unlike the one at Didcot, it will have just three roads, not four, and will only be able to hold maximum two engines in each road, but it will still be useful to keep engines on the layout but out of sight - it can make the layout look a bit messy if engines and trains are strewn everywhere!
  • The siding to the top of the railway centre will be owned by the railway centre group, but will be leased to Network Rail to allow them to store an engine in it if necessary. It'll mostly be empty as clearances between it and the mainline aren't going to be brilliant.
That's pretty much it! I've also got yet another project to work on - that being the station building for Oldmoor Junction. I've got a design planned which is like Oxford, with the glass and metal station building and modern design - the only issue is making it. It's going to be made out of clear plastic, for the most part, to look like glass. The interior actually allows for quite a bit to be packed in such a small space.

Thanks for reading. :)

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Over the past week, I've been struggling to find a trackplan for the railway centre which does what I want it to do. I've been doing a lot of looking into the running lines at Didcot Railway Centre and I decided that I really wanted to have a demonstration line like their 'Branch Line' running line; something the design I showed last time didn't have. So, here's the millionth (OK, that might be an exaggeration) trackplan for the railway centre:
View attachment 89359
I've been working on it for about a week and it might take some explaining, so let's see how well this goes.

• Oldmoor Junction station has gained an extra platform, in the form of the new Platform 1. This is one end of the railway centre's demonstration line which runs from the mainline connection, across the centre, to a smaller station which will be designed to look like the station at the London end of Didcot's Branch Line (i.e. a small GWR halt). I thought having a platform in the mainline station would be a nice idea as it gives something different to the railway centre.
  • The track just above Platform 1 on this diagram - the one marked with a red asterisk - is the headshunt for the railway centre. It's long enough to hold a small 0-6-0 (or 0-4-2 as in my testing) locomotive and allows for an engine or coach to be stored out of the way during shunting moves. It also gives some extra operational flexibility; one of my criteria for this new design was that it needed to be designed in such a way that it could be operated independently from the rest of the layout (that meaning I could run trains about in the railway centre and not have to runs trains out of it to do certain shunting moves), and a headshunt was therefore a necessity. The reasoning for this bit is that the whole railway centre used to be a loco depot (much like Didcot) and that this siding was used for a station pilot engine to be held out of the way at Oldmoor Junction but still close enough to the platforms to allow for quick shunting. It's sandwiched between two platforms and will be fenced off in the same way that the former bay platform at Banbury has been fenced off, although unlike that one, this one will not be filled in with sand and the rubbish from the commuters in a morning.
  • The goods shed is the Metcalfe one which has been on the layout since the day dot and works quite well as being a through design instead of at the end of a piece of track. Engines needing to access one of the roads in the engine shed need to pass through the goods shed in order to do so and I think this adds interest to the design (and the operational potential, if wagons are left in the goods shed). Furthermore, by having this building in this position, it makes shunting moves for incoming and outcoming freight (mostly demonstration workings at the railway centre but the occasional coal or diesel delivery does need to get in) more interesting as trains must shunt back into Platform 1 at Oldmoor Junction before moving into the goods shed.
  • The Carriage and Wagon Shed will be a scratchbuilt building and will be able to hold two or three long coaches, just to add something other than engines and locomotive storage to the area. I expect it will be very much like Oldmoor T&RSMD in that it will have an elevated walkway between the two roads to allow for easy access to coaches and wagons. A small shunter could also fit in there if needed I suppose.
  • The Engine Shed will be designed in the same way as Didcot Railway Centre's 1932 building, and will also be scratchbuilt. Unlike the one at Didcot, it will have just three roads, not four, and will only be able to hold maximum two engines in each road, but it will still be useful to keep engines on the layout but out of sight - it can make the layout look a bit messy if engines and trains are strewn everywhere!
  • The siding to the top of the railway centre will be owned by the railway centre group, but will be leased to Network Rail to allow them to store an engine in it if necessary. It'll mostly be empty as clearances between it and the mainline aren't going to be brilliant.
That's pretty much it! I've also got yet another project to work on - that being the station building for Oldmoor Junction. I've got a design planned which is like Oxford, with the glass and metal station building and modern design - the only issue is making it. It's going to be made out of clear plastic, for the most part, to look like glass. The interior actually allows for quite a bit to be packed in such a small space.

-Peter
You seriously need a bigger board!! Or maybe 2 boards, one above the other?

The_Train

Established Member
View attachment 89359

-Peter
Loving this latest update Peter. The idea of a demonstration line at the railway centre is a fantastic idea!

Peter C

Established Member
Loving this latest update Peter. The idea of a demonstration line at the railway centre is a fantastic idea!
Thanks very much :)
I thought it would be nice to have something to do with the railway centre apart from the odd shunting move and moving engines in and out. Also gives visitors a way of accessing the site!

-Peter

The_Train

Established Member
Thanks very much :)
I thought it would be nice to have something to do with the railway centre apart from the odd shunting move and moving engines in and out. Also gives visitors a way of accessing the site!

-Peter
Will definitely work :D
No need to respond to this post (I've noticed a few above mentioning not getting notifications when your posts merge so keep this as a divider between your posts) but just wanted to add that I love the concept of a little story telling to go along with your posts. Definitely a nice addition to have a bit of a storyline :)

Peter C

Established Member
Will definitely work :D
No need to respond to this post (I've noticed a few above mentioning not getting notifications when your posts merge so keep this as a divider between your posts) but just wanted to add that I love the concept of a little story telling to go along with your posts. Definitely a nice addition to have a bit of a storyline :)
Thanks for leaving this as a sort-of 'dividing' post - very useful. :) I had quite a bit of fun writing that small story; more to come in the future!

Speaking of the future, this is now the future in relation to the above sentence and so time for a story. Are we all sitting comfortably? ;)
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-05 at 15.39.21.jpeg
Dave Hatley, proprietor of the 'Crown and Anchor' pub, is extremely pleased to announce that his pub, along with the other two shops which have recently been under construction, is now finished and is properly open for business. He's particularly excited about the pavement in front of the buildings: he's always had an interest in paving stones. No-one knows why.
Mrs Miggins is less happy about the pavement, though: she's complained to the council (why she thinks that will work I don't know - the council doesn't even have an office) about the fact that the paving ends before her shop, meaning her customers have to walk in the road (which also doesn't exist properly yet - but don't tell her, she'll be onto the council about that too). She's been incredibly disgruntled ever since her beloved shop was moved from one end of Oldmoor to the other and has gained the nickname 'Moany Miggins' from those in the area, which hasn't gone down well.

Those of you who can see the newest three shops will therefore also be able to see the currently unfinished shops to the left of the frame. This is one of many current projects on the layout and is one of my least-favourite Metcalfe kits. It's a terraced shop kit which comes with two of these little buildings (each having two shop fronts), and is a pain to put together as it gets you to make the shop fronts as little units which then slot into the front of the building for the whole thing to work. It's all based on friction and push-fits and I'm not too keen on it. Don't tell Mrs Miggins about the building, though (she's not very observant, and hasn't yet clocked that there's an entirely new set of shops being constructed but a few yards from her own workplace) - it's also got a pavement. Dave Hatley will be on that in seconds, I'm sure.

I hope you enjoyed this; it's a small update because I've not got much done on the layout during lockdown but I plan to get some more done soon, even if it is just clearing it of rubbish and running some trains.

-Peter

Established Member
Thanks for leaving this as a sort-of 'dividing' post - very useful. :) I had quite a bit of fun writing that small story; more to come in the future!

Speaking of the future, this is now the future in relation to the above sentence and so time for a story. Are we all sitting comfortably? ;)
View attachment 90025
Dave Hatley, proprietor of the 'Crown and Anchor' pub, is extremely pleased to announce that his pub, along with the other two shops which have recently been under construction, is now finished and is properly open for business. He's particularly excited about the pavement in front of the buildings: he's always had an interest in paving stones. No-one knows why.
Mrs Miggins is less happy about the pavement, though: she's complained to the council (why she thinks that will work I don't know - the council doesn't even have an office) about the fact that the paving ends before her shop, meaning her customers have to walk in the road (which also doesn't exist properly yet - but don't tell her, she'll be onto the council about that too). She's been incredibly disgruntled ever since her beloved shop was moved from one end of Oldmoor to the other and has gained the nickname 'Moany Miggins' from those in the area, which hasn't gone down well.

Those of you who can see the newest three shops will therefore also be able to see the currently unfinished shops to the left of the frame. This is one of many current projects on the layout and is one of my least-favourite Metcalfe kits. It's a terraced shop kit which comes with two of these little buildings (each having two shop fronts), and is a pain to put together as it gets you to make the shop fronts as little units which then slot into the front of the building for the whole thing to work. It's all based on friction and push-fits and I'm not too keen on it. Don't tell Mrs Miggins about the building, though (she's not very observant, and hasn't yet clocked that there's an entirely new set of shops being constructed but a few yards from her own workplace) - it's also got a pavement. Dave Hatley will be on that in seconds, I'm sure.

I hope you enjoyed this; it's a small update because I've not got much done on the layout during lockdown but I plan to get some more done soon, even if it is just clearing it of rubbish and running some trains.

-Peter
Brilliant story :)

I had a similar occurrence with my shops where some had no pavement so I just created a gap as if there was a road/entrance between the two and the pavement ended there.

reddragon

Established Member

I had a similar occurrence with my shops where some had no pavement so I just created a gap as if there was a road/entrance between the two and the pavement ended there.
I have no idea where any of my passenger come from as I do not have a single building . Space portal maybe?

Jaz avalley

If you want to age those buildings I have seen people use weather powders, trial on a side that won’t be seen use a soft brush and apply lightly building up if you gain confidence and like the idea looking at real shops will show things like marks at window ends etc,I have never done a paper kit just plastic or plonk to play, but those low relief look nice as you have them set out in a believable manner. You can add some drawn cottonwood with a little grey or black powder for smoke, I like the idea of one window different adding extra interest.
I particularly like the idea of a back story, it adds an element of fun, and engagement.

Peter C

Established Member

That sounds like an interesting way of doing it. I think I might print off some free pavement paper and use that; the only issue would be colours, but I'm sure I could fix that.

I have no idea where any of my passenger come from as I do not have a single building . Space portal maybe?
I've got a road which runs off the edge of the board: does that count as an entrance/exit? ;)

If you want to age those buildings I have seen people use weather powders, trial on a side that won’t be seen use a soft brush and apply lightly building up if you gain confidence and like the idea looking at real shops will show things like marks at window ends etc,I have never done a paper kit just plastic or plonk to play, but those low relief look nice as you have them set out in a believable manner. You can add some drawn cottonwood with a little grey or black powder for smoke, I like the idea of one window different adding extra interest.
I particularly like the idea of a back story, it adds an element of fun, and engagement.
I hadn't thought of weathering the buildings to be honest. I might try it out on another building before doing it on the ones on the layout; the aforementioned Metcalfe kit which I didn't really like comes in two parts, so I could probably use the second half of that as a testbed.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That sounds like an interesting way of doing it. I think I might print off some free pavement paper and use that; the only issue would be colours, but I'm sure I could fix that.

I've got a road which runs off the edge of the board: does that count as an entrance/exit? ;)

I hadn't thought of weathering the buildings to be honest. I might try it out on another building before doing it on the ones on the layout; the aforementioned Metcalfe kit which I didn't really like comes in two parts, so I could probably use the second half of that as a testbed.

-Peter
Really liked the story. Actually I’d love to go to your pub...
Re weathering card - I had a bit of trial and error with that as my warehouses are faced with printed paper, in the end I found that rubbing chalk down them worked best for me.

Peter C

Established Member
Really liked the story. Actually I’d love to go to your pub...
Thanks :) I'm sure you'd be welcomed with open arms if you were to visit!

Re weathering card - I had a bit of trial and error with that as my warehouses are faced with printed paper, in the end I found that rubbing chalk down them worked best for me.
I might try that then; thanks very much. I'd quite like to make the buildings on my layout look somewhat like the buildings near me as the layout is supposed to be based vaguely near the Cotswold/Cherwell Valley Lines, so I'll use them for inspiration.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Thanks :) I'm sure you'd be welcomed with open arms if you were to visit!

I might try that then; thanks very much. I'd quite like to make the buildings on my layout look somewhat like the buildings near me as the layout is supposed to be based vaguely near the Cotswold/Cherwell Valley Lines, so I'll use them for inspiration.

-Peter
I was thinking that at some point once lunacy is over a real meet up to visit model railways might be an idea!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Forum model railway meet at an exhibition. I like that idea (assuming I’m invited of course)...

Status
Not open for further replies.