• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My 00 Gauge layout - Oldmoor Junction Model Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks very much :) It's been good fun doing the ballast work. I hadn't thought of adding a footbridge but I'm not sure it would work as there aren't many places it could go between. There will be plenty of things to break up the scene though (AWS ramps, cable troughs, etc.) in the future.

-Peter

That sounds good. It’s amazing how much detail there is around track. I’ve been doing some point rodding recently. It doesn’t work but it looks much better just having it there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
That sounds good. It’s amazing how much detail there is around track. I’ve been doing some point rodding recently. It doesn’t work but it looks much better just having it there.
I've seen a few layouts with point rodding and it looks really cool. I might add some of it to Oldmoor-on-Sea. :)

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
My old layout had levers & rods. Lots of piano wire, brackets & levers. It actually worked!
Sounds like great fun :D

===========

I've spent some time this afternoon building a new building for the T&RSMD. Here it is:
Oldmoor T&RSMD.jpeg

This building is taller than the existing building - this is because it's going to be more of a maintenance shed than a storage shed, so there needs to be plenty of space for engines to be lifted - as at the Kidderminster Diesel Depot on the Severn Valley Railway. The building is also shorter than the building I'd made before, to allow for engines to use the points. The longer shed is too long where it is now so it'll need to be moved back a bit to ensure good clearances over the crossover.
You can see the basic Hornby clip-together engine shed in this photo: it's currently acting as a placeholder for a custom-made building I'm yet to design. This means that all of the sidings in the T&RSMD are going to be covered, which seems more realistic than having engines just sat out in the open (I understand this happens, but more so at unit stabling points than engine sheds and depots).
Having the middle building being taller - and adding it onto the layout in the first place - also makes the layout seem less like a round-and-round trainset I think: the trains are obscured as they go around, as it would be in real life: even when stood at a high vantage point looking over the railway, you can't watch the trains forever.

It's obvious that the two buildings closest to the camera are yet to be detailed/finished: my plan is to use some sort of corrugated cardboard to make the same sort of effect in metal on the sides, if that makes sense. At the moment, I'm thinking of using brick paper to make the bottom half of the walls and then metal for the rest.

I hope this is interesting. :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They look like they could end up being really good if you can get the corrugated cladding right. It might be worth considering some edging for the corners on the gable ends and maybe around the doors (just thin strips of folded card would work), just to add a bit of detail and make it look more substantial at the same time.

Peter C

Established Member
They look like they could end up being really good if you can get the corrugated cladding right. It might be worth considering some edging for the corners on the gable ends and maybe around the doors (just thin strips of folded card would work), just to add a bit of detail and make it look more substantial at the same time.
Thanks very much :)
I'll definitely look into adding that detail: sounds simple enough and if it's going to make the building look better then it seems silly not to add it!
I also need to work out what colour I'm going to make the buildings: the Diesel Depot at Kidderminster is a blue colour but I was thinking of some sort of light grey.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks very much :)
I'll definitely look into adding that detail: sounds simple enough and if it's going to make the building look better then it seems silly not to add it!
I also need to work out what colour I'm going to make the buildings: the Diesel Depot at Kidderminster is a blue colour but I was thinking of some sort of light grey.

-Peter

A bit like some of the buildings at Laira?

2BA63349-F5CB-46D7-BAD9-76F881288E8E.jpeg

Peter C

Established Member
A bit like some of the buildings at Laira?

View attachment 94127
Definitely - just looked it up on Google and that depot isn't too dissimilar in building design from the one on my layout (OK, that's probably a bit of a stretch). That sort of grey metal design which you only really see in modern depots is just what I'm after. :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m curious to see if you’ve done any more to the buildings..?

Peter C

Established Member
I’m curious to see if you’ve done any more to the buildings..?
You know what? I have! But not the buildings I showed last time... ;)

I spent some time earlier today adding a little bit of detailing to the Metcalfe workers' cottages I made a while ago. I'm not sure if I shared this, but I moved the building from the centre of Oldmoor to next to Little Piddling, and I've connected it to the smaller building which was there before. Here are the two buildings:

Little Piddling House 1.jpegLittle Piddling House 2.jpeg
(I'm calling it "Little Piddling Manor" and the owners are Mr and Mrs Fotheringill-Smythe)
It's really not much detail at the moment, but it's something. My plan is to make the bit in front of the building like a small garden with some ballast acting as gravel in a car-parking bit. The greenery going up the corner between the two buildings is to hide the gap, and it doesn't look too bad. There are a few other bits to add some colour.
I think I'm going to use the other workers' cottage as the Railway Hotel for Oldmoor-on-Sea: you get two in the Metcalfe kit and it looks to be the right size for the given area.

I've also done some work on the ballast today - none of it's glued down yet but it should be soon. Here it is:

Ballast 1.jpegBallast 2.jpegBallast 3.jpeg
Left to right: a few bits done on the railway centre; the previously-unfilled section between the left curve and the junction; the aforementioned left curve.

The ballast I'm using now is a Woodland Scenics blend, and it's a different colour overall to the one I started using - but that's alright because my plan is to weather the track and make the track look broadly the same around.
I think the newer ballast uses slightly larger 'rocks' than the older one, so it's much easier to brush around the track.

Thanks for reading :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Those buildings look great. Just adding the ivy growing up the front makes a real difference and brings it to life.
The ballast is really coming along now and come the time it’ll weather down nicely if you use a thinned down wash over it.

Peter C

Established Member
Those buildings look great. Just adding the ivy growing up the front makes a real difference and brings it to life.
Thanks very much :) Definitely - it's made me want to try and add it to a few more buildings. I'm far from finished adding stuff to them though: there's a gap between the platform of Little Piddling and the house which is going to be modelled as a small car track. The wall facing that will be covered in more greenery.

The ballast is really coming along now and come the time it’ll weather down nicely if you use a thinned down wash over it.
Thanks again - it's really made the layout look so much more finished and I'm really looking forward to making it look 'lived in', if that's the right term for track!

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
Really good work with the ballast there Peter, it has a massively positive visual impact.

And I’m liking the new engine shed and buildings too :)

Peter C

Established Member
Really good work with the ballast there Peter, it has a massively positive visual impact.

And I’m liking the new engine shed and buildings too :)
Thanks! :) It's really nice to hear that other people like what I've done. The ballast is something I've put off doing for ages now but for some reason I've been really getting into it recently.
The T&RSMD is coming along well. Nice to know the engine shed's half-decent!

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
Another eBay purchase arrived today - an engine which I've been looking for for ages...

Battle of Britain 1.jpegBattle of Britain 2.jpeg
Yes - it's a Triang 'Battle of Britain'! £25 for a 'wobbly runner', which really is a good deal when you consider that working ones are going for >£60. My gamble paid off with this model: the 'wobbly' bit of its running characteristics (technical term) doesn't seem to be really there .I think the seller had listed this as a 'wobbly' runner because of the larger flanges on the driving wheels - as with all Triang models, it crashes over modern pointwork, but that's not a major problem (mainly because I was expecting it).
At some point, someone's repainted this model into plain BR green. The paintjob is just like that on the Class 09 in the second photo, though: it was done well and looks much better than it did in the photos on eBay. It's a bit of a shame that the wheels haven't been made to look like the proper Bulleid designs - they're standard Triang driving wheels - but they still look good. The main thing for me is the overall shape of the engine: the streamlining, curving in the opposite direction to that of the LNER A4s and LMS Coronations, is my favourite bit.
Surprisingly, the tender has a fair bit of weight to it as well, meaning it's less like a wagon and more like a part of the engine make-up as a whole. The engine and tender are connected by a pin poking out from the tender going into a loop sticking out from behind the cab: this means the two are fairly far apart but it's not that noticeable.

The engine runs really well. It's smooth (well, not over points but we've discussed that already), and much better than other engines/units of this vintage which I've run on the layout. Because it works so well 'out of the box', so to speak, I'm not going to fiddle around with it. However, I will be re-naming and re-numbering the loco; current thinking is 34051 Winston Churchill, seeing as I've seen the real one in real life and his funeral train, pulled by 34051, ran from Waterloo to Hanborough, on the Cotswold Line, which I've been through countless times. I did some quick research the other day and it would be about £20 to get the nameplates and numbers I think, so not bad.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Another eBay purchase arrived today - an engine which I've been looking for for ages...

View attachment 94831View attachment 94832
Yes - it's a Triang 'Battle of Britain'! £25 for a 'wobbly runner', which really is a good deal when you consider that working ones are going for >£60. My gamble paid off with this model: the 'wobbly' bit of its running characteristics (technical term) doesn't seem to be really there .I think the seller had listed this as a 'wobbly' runner because of the larger flanges on the driving wheels - as with all Triang models, it crashes over modern pointwork, but that's not a major problem (mainly because I was expecting it).
At some point, someone's repainted this model into plain BR green. The paintjob is just like that on the Class 09 in the second photo, though: it was done well and looks much better than it did in the photos on eBay. It's a bit of a shame that the wheels haven't been made to look like the proper Bulleid designs - they're standard Triang driving wheels - but they still look good. The main thing for me is the overall shape of the engine: the streamlining, curving in the opposite direction to that of the LNER A4s and LMS Coronations, is my favourite bit.
Surprisingly, the tender has a fair bit of weight to it as well, meaning it's less like a wagon and more like a part of the engine make-up as a whole. The engine and tender are connected by a pin poking out from the tender going into a loop sticking out from behind the cab: this means the two are fairly far apart but it's not that noticeable.

The engine runs really well. It's smooth (well, not over points but we've discussed that already), and much better than other engines/units of this vintage which I've run on the layout. Because it works so well 'out of the box', so to speak, I'm not going to fiddle around with it. However, I will be re-naming and re-numbering the loco; current thinking is 34051 Winston Churchill, seeing as I've seen the real one in real life and his funeral train, pulled by 34051, ran from Waterloo to Hanborough, on the Cotswold Line, which I've been through countless times. I did some quick research the other day and it would be about £20 to get the nameplates and numbers I think, so not bad.

-Peter
Yeah the one I want went for £430!

Peter C

Established Member
Yeah the one I want went for £430!
Blimey! Which one was that? I assume it was a newer Hornby model. I saw a model of 35028 Clan Line a while ago on eBay for £99 - a lot of money in most circumstances relating to model railways - which was cheap in relation to what others are going for.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

View attachment 94831View attachment 94832

-Peter

It captures the look of them quite well considering how old the model is.
I’m wondering how far you’ll go with detailing it? Will you line out the boiler casing? I know that you could probably buy transfers. I bet you could buy replacement wheels at one time too.

Peter C

Established Member
It captures the look of them quite well considering how old the model is.
I’m wondering how far you’ll go with detailing it? Will you line out the boiler casing? I know that you could probably buy transfers. I bet you could buy replacement wheels at one time too.
It is a really good model for its age - definitely. I'd forgot the lining: I'll look into that as I know there are places which will do it. Replacement wheels appeal, but my main concern would be getting the thing back together again and getting the wheels quartered properly! :)

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Blimey! Which one was that? I assume it was a newer Hornby model. I saw a model of 35028 Clan Line a while ago on eBay for £99 - a lot of money in most circumstances relating to model railways - which was cheap in relation to what others are going for.

-Peter
R3435 21C3 Royal Mail

Peter C

Established Member
R3435 21C3 Royal Mail
Just had a look online and that looks like a really decent model; but not worth £430.

===============

I've been inspired by @Cowley's excellent photos of his layout and decided to try and take some of my own - turns out zooming in makes a massive difference, as Cowley said in his thread. I've tried to make the photos seem more realistic (and believe me, they need as much help as they can get) by adding little stories into the captions. :)

1466 passing Little Piddling.jpeg
So I started my day at Little Piddling, and got there just in time to see 1466 pass on a special Oldmoor Railway Centre charter. The train was formed of just 1466 and the one autocoach.

Cl. 33 passing Oldmoor Jn.jpeg
I then made a quick dash over to the Oldmoor Jn., which is next to the railway centre. Apologies for the poor quality on this one - it's an old slide I've just scanned in. The Class 33 is unidentified; any help in identifying it would be much appreciated!

UID 423 passing Oldmoor Jn.jpeg
Apologies for yet another unidentified spot, but this one just went past so quickly that I couldn't get a good enough sighting of the number. As with the above, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rly Ctr, Gronk and BofB.jpeg
This Class 09 was finishing some shunting in the railway centre, so I stopped to have a watch. The preservation group have definitely kept it in good condition - something which can't be said for the buffer-beam of the Battle of Britain!

BofB and Hall, Rly Ctr.jpeg
Speaking of the Battle of Britain, here's a better shot of it - and the 'Hall' behind it in the siding. The 'Hall' hasn't moved in a while; I wonder if they're doing anything with it?

Ruston 48DS, Rly Ctr.jpeg
You can't go to Oldmoor Railway Centre without seeing their little Ruston. Here it is carrying a sheep (I don't know why) in the small siding they've got there. The wire going over the top of the house seems to be some sort of mains supply work.

I hope you liked those :)
Here's the one of the 33 with some added Photoshop work:
Untitled-3.jpg

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah what a difference that makes. :)
It’s a really good way of making little sections of the railway work I reckon.
For instance the photo with the Bulleid alongside the shed suddenly has some depth to it and you can imagine it with the track a bit weathered and a few things dotted around like maybe a ladder against the loco, some ash in a heap next to the firebox etc...
It’s seeing stuff like that in photos of real places that make me want to capture it all. I fully plan to go back over mine and add things that I’ve missed before and I think it’s all about the different stages of detail that you hit. I suppose that I’m happy with what I’ve fixed upon and I’ve gone all in with it now, but even then in the back of my mind the next project is being mulled over slowly. ;)

reddragon

Established Member
Just had a look online and that looks like a really decent model; but not worth £430.

===============

I've been inspired by @Cowley's excellent photos of his layout and decided to try and take some of my own - turns out zooming in makes a massive difference, as Cowley said in his thread. I've tried to make the photos seem more realistic (and believe me, they need as much help as they can get) by adding little stories into the captions. :)

View attachment 94876
So I started my day at Little Piddling, and got there just in time to see 1466 pass on a special Oldmoor Railway Centre charter. The train was formed of just 1466 and the one autocoach.

View attachment 94877
I then made a quick dash over to the Oldmoor Jn., which is next to the railway centre. Apologies for the poor quality on this one - it's an old slide I've just scanned in. The Class 33 is unidentified; any help in identifying it would be much appreciated!

View attachment 94878
Apologies for yet another unidentified spot, but this one just went past so quickly that I couldn't get a good enough sighting of the number. As with the above, any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 94879
This Class 09 was finishing some shunting in the railway centre, so I stopped to have a watch. The preservation group have definitely kept it in good condition - something which can't be said for the buffer-beam of the Battle of Britain!

View attachment 94880
Speaking of the Battle of Britain, here's a better shot of it - and the 'Hall' behind it in the siding. The 'Hall' hasn't moved in a while; I wonder if they're doing anything with it?

View attachment 94881
You can't go to Oldmoor Railway Centre without seeing their little Ruston. Here it is carrying a sheep (I don't know why) in the small siding they've got there. The wire going over the top of the house seems to be some sort of mains supply work.

I hope you liked those :)
Here's the one of the 33 with some added Photoshop work:
View attachment 94883

-Peter
That 33 looks abandoned and in need of restoration! I have a 33/1 ordered (check my blog) to haul Southern units when they fail.

Peter C

Established Member
That 33 looks abandoned and in need of restoration! I have a 33/1 ordered (check my blog) to haul Southern units when they fail.
It's 1980s BR - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ;)

=========

Ah what a difference that makes. :)
It’s a really good way of making little sections of the railway work I reckon.
For instance the photo with the Bulleid alongside the shed suddenly has some depth to it and you can imagine it with the track a bit weathered and a few things dotted around like maybe a ladder against the loco, some ash in a heap next to the firebox etc...
It’s seeing stuff like that in photos of real places that make me want to capture it all. I fully plan to go back over mine and add things that I’ve missed before and I think it’s all about the different stages of detail that you hit. I suppose that I’m happy with what I’ve fixed upon and I’ve gone all in with it now, but even then in the back of my mind the next project is being mulled over slowly. ;)
It really has made a massive difference. I spend most of my time, like a lot of railway modellers, viewing the layout from above, so seeing the layout from not only the angle that someone on the board would see it, but also in the same sort of way they'd see it in terms of depth/focus, is lovely. :)
Like I mentioned, I was inspired to have a go after having read your posts - seeing Lapford and Eggishford from those lower angles really made the scenery stand out. The scene you describe with the Bulleid really does sound nice; I must make that at some point! I've been reading some posts on the "Show us yours - realistic modelling" thread on RMWeb and the shots of layouts from down low really show off how model railways can be made to look like the real thing.
Your approach of going back over the layout and adding previously-missed details sounds like a very good way of doing it. I think some modellers tend to get too absorbed in doing one very specific bit of a layout (this happens to all of us at some point, but not to the scale that some people take it), to the detriment of other parts. Making a layout look really good in all areas and then going back to make it that bit better seems, to me, to be the best of both worlds. I'm interested to hear what this next project may be now!

-Peter

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
It is a bit short but could hopefully be able to hold a small tank engine or a wagon. Not much but something :)

Haha! :D I'm still learning how to use RMWeb - it doesn't work like I think it should most of the time (and surely the issue can't be my fault ;)).

==============

Talking of trackplans, I thought it might be worth saying that I think there's a new design on the layout. I'm not going to share things yet (unless you all ask really nicely) otherwise this thread could be renamed "Examples of how Peter can't make his mind up and will probably never get the layout finished", but I'll share a few things here:
  • Turns out that moving the railway centre to where the mainline T&RSMD was to begin with solves most of the issues I had. It still allows for a sizable set-up - four sidings and a small station - and it gives the entire railway centre area over to be the T&RSMD. I've got things laid out (goods shed, level crossing, small signalbox, coal merchants building) and it looks nice too
  • Town planning is difficult
  • Squishing everything I wanted to have on the layout into a small area requires having a convoluted kickback siding set-up but is jolly satisfying when it all works
  • Town planning is made difficult in no small part by the Hornby insurance offices building; massive, heavy, and a pain to work with (but that's enough about Mrs Miggins)
  • 1:76 scale cars are smaller than I think they are so the roads can be quite small and still realistic
  • The building layout design/town planning was really difficult OK: it took much longer than expected and the buildings only just work and most of Oldmoor is now going to be parking spaces but that's better than nothing
As I said - if you ask nicely and say please, I'll share what I've come up with: complete with poor MS Paint captions and annotations. :)

~~~~~

I think it's probably time for the next instalment of everyone's favourite soap comedy opera: Mrs Miggins Investigates...
Did Mrs Miggins ever find who stole her gramophone? Where did Dave Hatley go on holiday for Easter? Why do I keep asking questions?

We join Mr and Mrs Miggins in the Crown & Anchor pub. Mrs Miggins is talking to Dave Hatley.
"Well I never knew you could do that with a felt-tip pen and a fish finger," she says.
"You pick up this sort of thing after working in the pub industry for as long as I have," says Dave, who's been working in pubs (he says working, he means drinking as a customer) for decades now.

Mr Miggins is currently on the floor, completely plastered after having had one pint too many. He was well-known in Oldmoor when he was younger for being able to drink 100 pints in one sitting, and wants to try and prove he can still do it. Mrs Miggins hasn't noticed this yet as she's so engrossed in what Dave has to say.
"Did I ever tell you about that time I went to Oxford?" says Mrs Miggins.
"I don't think you did Maureen," says Dave.
Mrs Miggins goes on to tell a long and rather boring tale about the time she went to Oxford; highlights included her visit to the museum, walking through the grounds of the university, and how she got done for trespassing.

Eventually, Mrs Miggins notices her husband slowly climbing back up onto the stool next to her. "What were you doing on the floor?" she asks him.
"Oh, nothing" says Mr Miggins, embarrassed that he'd only had half a pint.

~~~~~

Apologies for that being such a short story, but I thought it was worth just posting it as I know many of my readers (in my dreams) were really confused following the last episode focusing on the mystery of the missing teapot in Little Piddling-on-the-Wold. :)

Thanks for reading,

-Peter
Just catching up on things and loving the latest instalment of the drama :D

Quite remarkable how far things have progressed since I last checked in. The layout is looking superb and those close up shots of loco's in various locations really show the quality of the work you have put in. Keep up the good work mate

Peter C

Established Member
Just catching up on things and loving the latest instalment of the drama :D
Haha - thanks very much :)

Quite remarkable how far things have progressed since I last checked in. The layout is looking superb and those close up shots of loco's in various locations really show the quality of the work you have put in. Keep up the good work mate
Again - thank you :D It's always really nice to read kind messages like this; I'm not trying to be one of these finescale modellers with everything correct and accurate, but I've tried at least a little bit.

=============
Seeing as the Oldmoor drama never ends, I thought I should update listeners with as to what's being going on...

Oldmoor's in a bit of a state at the moment. There's chaos everywhere - in the bakery, the price of iced buns has gone up from 50p to 86p per pair; in Mrs Miggins' shop, wool prices have forced her (that and her greedy tendencies) to put her prices up from an average £5 per ball of wool to £7.52. The biggest drama, however, has been at Oldmoor Junction station, where an outing full of care home residents are shocked to hear BR isn't around any more: many a cup of tea was spilled and at least one digestive biscuit was lost. The police have been called to the scene but, due to the lack of toilet facilities at the station, they've nothing to go on.

In the Crown & Anchor, Dave Hatley is busy organising a very special event indeed. Mr Miggins has organised a special candlelit supper for him and Mrs Miggins to celebrate their 74th wedding anniversary, and he's booked the whole pub. It's cost him a fortune, hence him celebrating their 74th anniversary: when Mrs Miggins finds out the cost of it all, Mr Miggins is going to be a very endangered person indeed!
Mr and Mrs Miggins arrive at the pub on time for their dinner. Dave has set everything out just as Mr Miggins had requested - just as at home, the pair are sitting in separate rooms and not talking as they eat. Mrs Miggins is less than impressed - so much so that she accidentally starts choking on a bourbon biscuit. Mr Miggins rushes over to save her from the inferior confectionary item in her throat and all is well. Mr Miggins has hated bourbons ever since an incident on the seafront at Whitby in 1964 - he won't tell anyone why, apart from the fact that the story involves a lighthouse, fish and chips, and a crayon.

As their special evening out draws to a close, Dave messes up. Instead of giving the bill to Mr Miggins, it gets sent to Mrs Miggins' table. Birds took to the skies throughout Oldmoorshire as the shrieking voice of Mrs Miggins calls out "Barry! HOW MUCH?!"

And that, dear viewers, is where we shall end this story. If we go any further, we might end up hearing of a pub brawl between two pensioners and that wouldn't be suitable before the watershed; false teeth may fall out and get lost.

-Peter ;)

reddragon

Established Member
Haha - thanks very much :)

Again - thank you :D It's always really nice to read kind messages like this; I'm not trying to be one of these finescale modellers with everything correct and accurate, but I've tried at least a little bit.

=============
Seeing as the Oldmoor drama never ends, I thought I should update listeners with as to what's being going on...

Oldmoor's in a bit of a state at the moment. There's chaos everywhere - in the bakery, the price of iced buns has gone up from 50p to 86p per pair; in Mrs Miggins' shop, wool prices have forced her (that and her greedy tendencies) to put her prices up from an average £5 per ball of wool to £7.52. The biggest drama, however, has been at Oldmoor Junction station, where an outing full of care home residents are shocked to hear BR isn't around any more: many a cup of tea was spilled and at least one digestive biscuit was lost. The police have been called to the scene but, due to the lack of toilet facilities at the station, they've nothing to go on.

In the Crown & Anchor, Dave Hatley is busy organising a very special event indeed. Mr Miggins has organised a special candlelit supper for him and Mrs Miggins to celebrate their 74th wedding anniversary, and he's booked the whole pub. It's cost him a fortune, hence him celebrating their 74th anniversary: when Mrs Miggins finds out the cost of it all, Mr Miggins is going to be a very endangered person indeed!
Mr and Mrs Miggins arrive at the pub on time for their dinner. Dave has set everything out just as Mr Miggins had requested - just as at home, the pair are sitting in separate rooms and not talking as they eat. Mrs Miggins is less than impressed - so much so that she accidentally starts choking on a bourbon biscuit. Mr Miggins rushes over to save her from the inferior confectionary item in her throat and all is well. Mr Miggins has hated bourbons ever since an incident on the seafront at Whitby in 1964 - he won't tell anyone why, apart from the fact that the story involves a lighthouse, fish and chips, and a crayon.

As their special evening out draws to a close, Dave messes up. Instead of giving the bill to Mr Miggins, it gets sent to Mrs Miggins' table. Birds took to the skies throughout Oldmoorshire as the shrieking voice of Mrs Miggins calls out "Barry! HOW MUCH?!"

And that, dear viewers, is where we shall end this story. If we go any further, we might end up hearing of a pub brawl between two pensioners and that wouldn't be suitable before the watershed; false teeth may fall out and get lost.

-Peter ;)
I have called the Police to her illegal gathering inside a pub in breach of COVID regulations.

All will be locked in a quarantine coach for 10 days at their own expense.

Peter C

Established Member
I have called the Police to her illegal gathering inside a pub in breach of COVID regulations.

All will be locked in a quarantine coach for 10 days at their own expense.
Haha! :lol:
Oldmoor doesn't have COVID restrictions - but I'm sure they wouldn't object to a stay in a recently-restored Mk1 or something similar... ;)

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.