• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Canon EOS350D is dead as a door nail

Status
Not open for further replies.

38Cto15E

Looking for tips/advice guys.
I have not used my Canon EOS350D for around 5 years I guess, it has always been in my study in a Canon bag the room has CH.
I am happy with my Lumix TZ30 but it is not brilliant for fast moving trains.

So I thought that I would get the Canon out, as I guessed it was dead, so I charged the battery up and the charger went to green after an hour or so. I put the battery in, still nothing, so I bought another NB-2LH 7.4v battery, charged it, nothing.
Then I changed the CR2016 3V battery x 2, again nothing.
I have just ordered some more Duracell CR2016's with a 2028 shelf life just in case my other 2 were US, I have looked into the battery compartment and it looks clean with no leakage anywhere. Confirm I am putting the 2016 in correctly.
And yes, I am moving the small lever on the right hand side of the camera from Off to On, still nothing.

Can any memebrs give me any tips on what to try next or what I may be doing wrong, if all else fails I know that they are not too expensive on E*ay.
TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

38Cto15E

I have been googling, trying some suggestions but I feel that the camera is Kaput, Ebay looks my best bet. I only need a cheapish one, as you can tell I am not a big user of a big camera.

rf_ioliver

They were nice cameras in their time - I have a 500D and after many many years of heavy use is showing its age (sensor, mechanics etc). Take a look at the latest Canon models - even then 4-digit series are superb pieces of equipment for their price; my daughter is taking some impressive pictures with hers even with the kit lenses.

Was talking with a professional photographer today, his 50,000 eur camera ( not including lenses ) puts my ideas of a 90D for Christmas (only 1200 eur!) into perspective....

Bevan Price

Established Member
Have you tried connecting the camera to a computer via a USB cable ? It won't recharge batteries, but it may be able to see if there are any signs of "life" in the camera. If you manage to find a camera menu, try to find and operate "clear all settings". If still not working, one option is to contact Canon for the location of their nearest service agent -- but given the typical costs of repairing consumer goods, the better option might be to buy a new camera body (your existing Canon lenses will fit )

And a warning for everyone -- it is a bad idea to leave batteries inside any equipment that is not being used for long periods (even if the batteries do not leak.)

And I forgot to add, Canon 350D cameras (I have one) may not "talk" to some versions of Windows 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.