• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@reddragon - Is it an issue with the electrofrog points? They need insulating fishplates for the two joiners next to each other.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reddragon

Established Member
@reddragon - Is it an issue with the electrofrog points? They need insulating fishplates for the two joiners next to each other.
All new points now have insulators irrespective but my original DC layout didn't. It operated fine, a still does the down lines. Suddenly the up lines have failed as has one EMU.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don’t know then, but I think you’re probably the resident electrical expert in this section anyway.
So it’s have a cup of tea and a think time for you. ;)

reddragon

Established Member
My plan is to remove DCC stock from the track and reconnect section by section until it works or I find the fail.

I also plan to relay some points at the west of my station with better alignment and insulators.

Maybe the old Hornby locos that seem to short on the points, of which I have 4, may need to go too.

reddragon

Established Member
Today the track gangs were very impatient to gain track access, but this was not available until late today due to other work.

This is how things were on arrival - the track from the viaduct

1613586807839.png

the tracks down from the main station

1613586857411.png

And, the gap!

1613586902758.png

Track laying commenced but as always an annoying gap existed!

1613586950720.png

This was filled and the whole loop completed - pics tomorrow

Electrical control were out later investigating the power failure traced to the up lines and the failure traced to this section of track, the up main platforms 5/6.

1613587156733.png

more specifically the double slip seems to be the top candidate for the issue

Once the new loop is up & running this point will be removed and investigated.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m loving the nice sweeping curves. Glad you worked out where the problem is.

reddragon

Established Member
So today was the big day!

Electrical control wired up the new loop, checked the track, reset a fishplate, cleared obstructions and vacuumed the route.

A GWR Castel class HST was chosen for the maiden run!

Waiting clearance to depart

1613672375512.png

Clear of the station and picking up speed

1613672416486.png

At speed approaching the suburban station

1613672468478.png

Entering the new section (power RH side)

1613672523467.png

Crossing the viaduct

1613672558024.png

Site of 3rd station

1613672594538.png

entering the dark loop

1613672634133.png

returning to the main station - note the defective double slip

1613672683178.png

Further runs were made at increasing speed and with lights & sound.

Later I removed the double slip to remove the short and the class 66 set off with the full 14 wagon freightliner train for 1 lap before dinner.

reddragon

Established Member
Next will be running some trains before insulating & reinstating the double slip and extending the pair of tracks west to connect up via the crossover to the up relief thus allowing platforms 3 - 6 to be used as through platforms.

Reinstating the disconnected wiring will also allow the suburban line to run again & connect properly too allowing trains to run from the down lines via the suburban to the up lines to do the full loop.

Peter C

Established Member
So today was the big day!

Electrical control wired up the new loop, checked the track, reset a fishplate, cleared obstructions and vacuumed the route.

A GWR Castel class HST was chosen for the maiden run!

Waiting clearance to depart

View attachment 90957

Clear of the station and picking up speed

View attachment 90958

At speed approaching the suburban station

View attachment 90959

Entering the new section (power RH side)

View attachment 90960

Crossing the viaduct

View attachment 90961

Site of 3rd station

View attachment 90962

entering the dark loop

View attachment 90963

returning to the main station - note the defective double slip

View attachment 90964

Further runs were made at increasing speed and with lights & sound.

Later I removed the double slip to remove the short and the class 66 set off with the full 14 wagon freightliner train for 1 lap before dinner.
Excellent! I bit it's really good fun and actually quite rewarding to be able to run a train round all the way now?

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Excellent! I bit it's really good fun and actually quite rewarding to be able to run a train round all the way now?

-Peter
Probably now the time to formally measure the loop length!. My guess is 45m, shall see!

I was able to run the HST & the class 66 at the same time.

Tomorrow will be reconnecting power that I disconnected whilst short hunting before running more the trains on the new loop.

Peter C

Established Member
Probably now the time to formally measure the loop length!. My guess is 45m, shall see!
Wow! That's quite something.

I was able to run the HST & the class 66 at the same time.
Lovely - the start of a proper modern image layout. :)

Tomorrow will be reconnecting power that I disconnected whilst short hunting before running more the trains on the new loop.
Let's hope it all goes well!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Today all power was reconnected.

The Lima HST did its first run, followed by my Garrett with the maroon rake, the class 450 and finally D1026 with the blue & grey rake making 6 trains overall. Trains ran in pairs at once

The points at the up / eastern end of the station are a source of shorts so are due for relaying as part of the throat upgrade.

Still to measure the loop

reddragon

Established Member
Surely a 00 gauge trundle wheel would be best? Especially for round those bends... ;)

-Peter
I have a cloth tape that does curves :)

Tomorrow I have a lot on so not much more than train testing is likely. Hopefully Sunday will allow the double slip restoration and track laying :)

Peter C

Established Member
I have a cloth tape that does curves :)
Another (and probably more sensible ;)) way of measuring a layout.

Tomorrow I have a lot on so not much more than train testing is likely. Hopefully Sunday will allow the double slip restoration and track laying :)
The work you've got done on your layout reminds me I need to get work done on my layout: I've not done anything in ages!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Another (and probably more sensible ;)) way of measuring a layout.

The work you've got done on your layout reminds me I need to get work done on my layout: I've not done anything in ages!

-Peter
Just tested all my locos around the loop including the MPV - the class 56 & 59 would not run at all.

Whilst doing it, my GWR HST randomly went on full power and ran off the end of the up main track! No idea how!!!

Peter C

Established Member
Just tested all my locos around the loop including the MPV - the class 56 & 59 would not run at all.

Whilst doing it, my GWR HST randomly went on full power and ran off the end of the up main track! No idea how!!!
Oh dear - do you have any idea why that may be the case? What make is the Class 59? My Hornby Class 50 sometimes goes up to full speed and speeds 'round and 'round the layout for a short period of time. Your HST might be doing something similar?

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh dear - do you have any idea why that may be the case? What make is the Class 59? My Hornby Class 50 sometimes goes up to full speed and speeds 'round and 'round the layout for a short period of time. Your HST might be doing something similar?

-Peter

I’ve had that with the odd loco. Thankfully I don’t have an ‘end to end’ layout. ;)

cossie4i

You have a varied selection of stock like myself.
I have a Mainline 56, of 1984 vintage
Nice to see you making progress.
I have just test run it on a loop on the loft floor, straight out the box after around 20 years and it ran fine.
Not good for it I know.

Last edited:

reddragon

Established Member

-Peter
I think the 56 is dirty, but the Lima 59 is just sulking! I've had runaways before. A quirk of DCC.

reddragon

Established Member
Are you splitting your DCC into areas, so you can have them working ‘in tandem’
I have 3 separate 3A DCC zones

Saturday

Today the 59 decided to run and it along with my DMUs did the loop. Just 11 MUs to go and a dirty 56!

I reinstated a now insulated double slip & section of track approach to P6 and added another length to the P5 approach.

I need some insulated joiners now.

Next is to connect platform 5 to the loop at the western end. 2 more points, a few track lengths and 4 insulated track joiners.

Last edited:

Jaz avalley

Out of interest before you even get to scenery have a thought how the trains work on the p,atforms somes time two one each end, we looked at Peterborough a lot and the other half added literally dozens of cut off points...yeah he may have been a touch ott but it does mean a lot of trains can operate at the same time and close together. Anyway a thought yours does not have as many tracks and thus may not be a candidate.

reddragon

Established Member
Today I added 2 new points and extended platform 5 track through to the up relief crossover at the west end. I then connected up the station end wiring and the DCC shorted. This time is was a point that I had to extra insulate!

The replaced double slip below and the shorting RH point under the ECS container wagon

1613928542306.png

Next I need to extend P6 west to the up relief and wire up the loop end wiring. Below you can see (L-R) the up relief to up main crossover, then the transfer siding point and then the point splitting approaches to P5 & 6

1613928620885.png

P5 tracks are connected up but there is a single length gap on P6 track. Wiring also needs connecting to power them up at the LH end.

After that will be the transfer siding(s) between the up & down lines to connect P7 and the down main.

I also ran a few EMUs around the loop. Just 5 trains to do the loop now, the dirty 56, a DeMU, EMU + 2 EMUs awaiting chip futting.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s looking really good. I forgot to ask but are you having point motors?