• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NECTAR Card on TOCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning,

Do any trail firms still give Nectar points when booking online,? I know LNER have stopped and I think SWR have too, I thought that GWR & XC used to but can not see any reference on their websites, I may also be using TPE & Northern later this summer if we are allowed to travel more.

Thanks, Steve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
GWR and Avanti still offer nectar points.

_toommm_

Established Member
I think it’s just the First Group TOCs now, so Avanti, GWR, and TPE. At least with TPE, they give Nectar points on any train tickets, not just ones booked for TPE trains.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I think it’s just the First Group TOCs now, so Avanti, GWR, and TPE. At least with TPE, they give Nectar points on any train tickets, not just ones booked for TPE trains.
OK, thank you, I shall book through TPE then.

westv

Established Member
The First Griup operator Hull Trains stopped giving Nectar points quite a while ago without making any announcement they were going to do so

Argyle 1980

GWR definitely still give 2 points per £1 spent on any ticket purchased for any journey or operator. GWR also often give large points incentives via the nectar app like 1000 bonus points on your next GWR advance fare.

Might be wrong but think Avanti might only award points if all or part of the journey is with them. Know that was definitely the case with Virgin.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Might be wrong but think Avanti might only award points if all or part of the journey is with them. Know that was definitely the case with Virgin.
I bought some tickets though Avanti recently for non-Avanti service and got no nectar points.

Argyle 1980

I bought some tickets though Avanti recently for non-Avanti service and got no nectar points.
Last time I booked through Avanti, it was for an Avanti journey but the points took nearly 60 days to show, so you might still get them. Know GWRs go on very quickly, often the next day.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think Avanti only give Nectar points if your journey is on one of their trains.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thanks for all this I just did a load of bookings via the GWR website, no services were on GWR, they were mainly on Norther & XC and I seem to be getting Nectar points for all sectors. :) They will come in handy off my next Sainsburys shopping.

kev1974

I booked a Great Northern service using TPE's app today specifically to get the nectar points, which it said I did (2 pts / £1), but I haven't checked the Nectar account yet to see if they've actually been credited.

The TPE app is dreadful though. Had difficulties registering an account in the first place (it wouldn't display the "submit" button, had to do that part on at PC in the end); would not let me enter my work credit card so I used Apple Pay and will have to claim it back; but most annoyingly although it seems to use the normal Apple Wallet format to display the ticket on screen, there is no way to add that ticket to Apple Wallet itself like you can with Trainline and LNER apps. Meaning I had to keep going back to the TPE app and through its menus to call up my ticket for the barrier, rather than just being able to go straight into Apple Wallet (and indeed have the ticket automatically on my lock screen and apple watch at the right time).

I might next try the GWR or Hull Trains apps to see if they have the Apple Wallet integration working a bit better.

island

Veteran Member
Last time I booked through Avanti, it was for an Avanti journey but the points took nearly 60 days to show, so you might still get them. Know GWRs go on very quickly, often the next day.
I believe if you book a refundable ticket it won't credit the Nectar points until the refund deadline for the ticket has expired – so buying an off-peak return won't credit until one month plus four weeks after the outbound journey.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Nectar points take a couple of days to show in your online account, in my experience.

Etickets on TPE (and all First Group) websites aren’t the best. Tickets can’t be added to an Apple Wallet but there is a pdf attached to the booking confirmation which has the tickets.

cool2005

Hi can you get nectar points by booking though avanti even if your not travelling on there services?
Thank you

Argyle 1980

Hi can you get nectar points by booking though avanti even if your not travelling on there services?
Thank you
Better off booking with GWR because they 100% do give the full 2 points per £1 for ANY journey. Only thing that's excluded from points is plusbus add ons.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
do any of them redeem nectar points?
Not 100% sure, seem to recall that Nectar points could at one time be used on purchasing advance tickets (only) on Avanti West Coast, anyone able to confirm?

Status
Not open for further replies.