• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NER 'Electric Autocar'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris125

Established Member
I think this project may have passed this forum by, but the NER 'Electric Autocar' is nearing completion at Embsay.

"There’s still work to do but we’ve set a launch date in October. This is for members and supporters, but the general public will have their chance as soon as possible afterwards"

This early petrol-electric vehicle, now powered by a modern Cummins diesel through an EPB bogie, has made it's first moves as a complete vehicle and will soon be paired with a NER push-pull carriage:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Nice! I remember seeing the frame at the GCR - looked incredibly weird undergoing testing without it's "house".

Thread probably wants to go to Railtours & Preservation, mind you.
I was thinking that, but then again if it's PRM-compliant (no toilet, so that's a start) there may be a spot-hire opportunity for it at Cardiff Bay! :lol:

simple simon

Having been launched last month (April 2019) the Autocar is now running on Wednesdays on the Embsay and Bolton Abbey railway, which is near to Skipton, West Yorkshire.

I went to see it on Wednesday 15th May, which was a warm, sunny day. I travelled from London on the Tuesday, staying at the Railway Hotel in Skipton and catching the 9am bus from the bus station to the railway.

As yet I have not sorted through all my photographs or video from that trip but I made a very short 1 minute film which I placed on Twitter. Hopefully this can be seen at the link below!

The first views show the Autocar whilst shunting from the depot to platform 1 at Embsay station. I filmed it from platform 2, which was on the sunny side of the train - both platform 1 and the platform at Bolton Abbey station are on the shade side of the train, which is not the best when filming it in sunny weather.

Simon

https://twitter.com/citytransportin/status/1129128880386789376

E759

Having been launched last month (April 2019) the Autocar is now running on Wednesdays on the Embsay and Bolton Abbey railway, which is near to Skipton, West Yorkshire.

I went to see it on Wednesday 15th May, which was a warm, sunny day. I travelled from London on the Tuesday, staying at the Railway Hotel in Skipton and catching the 9am bus from the bus station to the railway.

As yet I have not sorted through all my photographs or video from that trip but I made a very short 1 minute film which I placed on Twitter. Hopefully this can be seen at the link below!

The first views show the Autocar whilst shunting from the depot to platform 1 at Embsay station. I filmed it from platform 2, which was on the sunny side of the train - both platform 1 and the platform at Bolton Abbey station are on the shade side of the train, which is not the best when filming it in sunny weather.

Simon

https://twitter.com/citytransportin/status/1129128880386789376
Thanks for sharing the video, looks great!

Anyone thinking of going don't be put off by the poor bus service, I paid £5.70 for a taxi from Skipton station to Embsay station week before last (07/05/2019) and walked back in around 45 minutes. Easy day trip from Sussex including Bolton Priory ;)

simple simon

Thanks for sharing the video, looks great!

Anyone thinking of going don't be put off by the poor bus service, I paid £5.70 for a taxi from Skipton station to Embsay station week before last (07/05/2019) and walked back in around 45 minutes. Easy day trip from Sussex including Bolton Priory ;)

I made it a two day trip because I wanted to see other things as well, including the refurbished 333s (very nice - will make Londoners really envious!) and the three Yorkshire kerb guided busways.

broadgage

A most interesting restoration project and a splendid achievement, congratulations to all involved.

Rather poor quality BBC news report though that kept insisting that this is an electric train. No it is not ! it is a diesel train with electric transmission. It is no more an electric unit than is say a Hampshire unit, or even an HST, both of which use electric transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.