• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NET Greenhaus trams - No AC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozhua

Established Member
I've been riding the good ol NET a lot after my return to Nottingham, which has been very convenient as I live near a tram stop!

However, I have noticed, at least on the newer sets, they have been genuine greenhouses in this weather. Its not that they are the same temperature as outside, it's that 30 degrees feels cold once you step off. I can't help but think this has something to do with the medical emergency on Saturday.

Pretty sure these trams should have air conditioning, what is going so disastrously wrong? :oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

507 001

Established Member
I've been riding the good ol NET a lot after my return to Nottingham, which has been very convenient as I live near a tram stop!

However, I have noticed, at least on the newer sets, they have been genuine greenhouses in this weather. Its not that they are the same temperature as outside, it's that 30 degrees feels cold once you step off. I can't help but think this has something to do with the medical emergency on Saturday.

Pretty sure these trams should have air conditioning, what is going so disastrously wrong? :oops:

Well if it’s anything like Metrolink, they stop too frequently for aircon to be properly effective.

cnjb8

Established Member
Yes I know what you mean! NET is awful in the summer, I don’t think they’ve ever had air con

507 001

Established Member
Metrolink doesn't have aircon. Merseyrail's new units do, so clearly someone has confidence in it! :)

Yes I’m aware, I do drive them remember ;)

Whether Aircon on the new Merseyrail fleet is successful remains to be seen.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Don't see why it shouldn't be, it's great on the LU S-stock which operates services that stop easily as often as trams do (e.g. the District Line).

Buses have aircon in many countries and that works just fine. You just need a suitably beefy unit that can cope with it.

Clip

Established Member

Whilst metrolink doesn't have Aircon they are ventilated by another system using the fans on top aren't they? And that itself is just as good?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Whilst metrolink doesn't have Aircon they are ventilated by another system using the fans on top aren't they? And that itself is just as good?

Pressure ventilation is not as good as aircon, as it just blows more hot air in.

It's better than static air (e.g. it's why London buses don't steam up as they are required to have it as part of TfL spec) but only just.

507 001

Established Member

No it isn’t just as good by any stretch. The difference between the air conditioned cabs and the saloons with pressure ventilation is huge.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Are the fans on the roofs of the Metrolink trams to cool the passengers or the traction equipment.

As it's the Alstom trams, shouldn't the threat title be "NET serre trams"? (I had to look that up).

ClagLover

On Moderation
No it isn’t just as good by any stretch. The difference between the air conditioned cabs and the saloons with pressure ventilation is huge.
I can attest to it being hotter than hell on Metrolink today having gone from Trafford centre to Rochdale and back again 8-)

MCR247

Established Member

I think maybe you’ve been unlucky, I’ve found the Citadis’ (citadici?) to be great, almost like fridges. Or maybe I’ve just been lucky. I tend to avoid the Incentros especially when busy

Jozhua

Established Member
Well if it’s anything like Metrolink, they stop too frequently for aircon to be properly effective.
Honestly, when they stop - even in 30 degree weather, it feels like a cool breeze coming through the doors... They are far hotter than the outside temperature, it's crazy!
I think maybe you’ve been unlucky, I’ve found the Citadis’ (citadici?) to be great, almost like fridges. Or maybe I’ve just been lucky. I tend to avoid the Incentros especially when busy
The Citadis appear to be the worst for this not going to lie.

507 001

Established Member
Are the fans on the roofs of the Metrolink trams to cool the passengers or the traction equipment.

As it's the Alstom trams, shouldn't the threat title be "NET serre trams"? (I had to look that up).

Both, but mainly the passengers.

WatcherZero

Established Member
The Metrolink Cabs do have air conditioning, its the saloons which only have air circulation.
(The previous fleet also had cab air conditioning retrofitted during mid life work, or gaining their hats as we used to say)

507 001

Established Member
The Metrolink Cabs do have air conditioning, its the saloons which only have air circulation.
(The previous fleet also had cab air conditioning retrofitted during mid life work, or gaining their hats as we used to say)

The T68 cab air conditioning was about as useful as a chocolate tea pot.

The little plastic fan on the desk was more useful, and that was like being breathed on by a slightly asthmatic squirrel.

The M5000 system in the cabs is really quite effective, but unfortunately it’s extremely unreliable. As the cabs are essentially a greenhouse, a failed aircon unit in weather like the last few days would result in the tram being failed and taken back to the depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.