• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Graduate Opportunities

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackd92

Hi all,

I'm in my final year studying BA history at the University of Sussex, I've always had an interest in the railways and have been looking into the Network Rail graduate schemes. The Operations and General Management course seems the most appealing to me but I've heard from a few people and read online that it's a very hard industry to get into. I've worked as a delivery driver and a retail manager so I'm not sure if I stand a chance without any rail experience

I've been doing a lot of online research but I wanted to ask whether anyone had any advice or point me in the direction of any resources that may be beneficial. As well as this I was also wondering:

What degrees are favourable to Network Rail employers?

What sort of transferable skills do they usually look for?

And if I'm successful (here's hoping) after completing the course what job roles do the graduates typically go into?

Thank you and sorry for the long post!

Jack.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

You definitely don’t need railway experience to get on the grad scheme - that’s the whole point of a grad scheme.

Transferrable Skills is More around how you can apply yourself to meet NR’s objectives and values etc.

post grad scheme you would apply for a band 4 role within the organisation.

I’m currently on the finance internship and have my interview for the grad scheme next week. Feel free to message me with any questions, happy to help.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
The scheme is the best in the industry, you’ll get to do things and gain competencies that would decades in usual first run first jobs.

Grab it with both hands!

jackd92

You definitely don’t need railway experience to get on the grad scheme - that’s the whole point of a grad scheme.

Transferrable Skills is More around how you can apply yourself to meet NR’s objectives and values etc.

post grad scheme you would apply for a band 4 role within the organisation.

I’m currently on the finance internship and have my interview for the grad scheme next week. Feel free to message me with any questions, happy to help.

That's good to hear, I know placements are very competitive so I wasn't sure if previous experience was desirable.

Sorry to ask but what roles come under band 4?

Thank you very much, I will definitely take you up on that offer. Good luck in your interview!

route101

Established Member
As a Building Surveying graduate im interested. I see they have a commercial surveying grad scheme but not Building Surveying one. Anyone done the surveying one ?

jackd92

The scheme is the best in the industry, you’ll get to do things and gain competencies that would decades in usual first run first jobs.

Grab it with both hands!

After reading the criteria on the website it seems like you get to do a lot of different things which is good for me because I don't really know what position would suit me best.

Will do :D

I will be definitely - it is a fantastic scheme.

Grab it with both hands!
Sorry to ask but what roles come under band 4?

band 4 is a pay scale so there's loads of different roles. Some examples, Project Manager, Finance Business Partner, Economic Analyst. Have a look on NR jobs site for jobs between 30k-40k they will probably be band 4 roles.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
band 4 is a pay scale so there's loads of different roles. Some examples, Project Manager, Finance Business Partner, Economic Analyst. Have a look on NR jobs site for jobs between 30k-40k they will probably be band 4 roles.

Yes, the pay isn’t great but these people tend to climb up the ladder much quicker than us mortals, often occupying band 1roles over the course of their careers.

Yes, the pay isn’t great but these people tend to climb up the ladder much quicker than us mortals, often occupying band 1roles over the course of their careers.

You’re right. I have met plenty of people who did the Grad Scheme and within 10 years are Band 1 - plenty of progression opportunities within the organisation.

jackd92

That's good to know, thank you for the info :)

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Graduate roles are a fantastic step into the industry - you'll get exposure of a huge number of sectors so you can help find the niche that you eventually want to start your career in after the scheme completes after 18-24 months. There are very senior people in the railway who started out in Graduate roles 15-20+ years ago. The initial salary isn't great, but often rises significantly after your first 'permanent' role. From my understanding the NR grad schemes can be highly personalised and you are encouraged to follow your interests and tailor your placements accordingly.

These positions are VERY competitive though - and I imagine even more so under current circumstances - so you'll need to be absolutely on point with your CV / cover letter etc.

PS: Regarding your questions
- All degrees especially for the General Management will be fine probably above a 2:1 is the minimum.
- Ability to work in a team, problem solving, communication skills, inter-personable skills etc.
- Too many roles to mention, but normally managing a team of 10-15.

jackd92

Graduate roles are a fantastic step into the industry - you'll get exposure of a huge number of sectors so you can help find the niche that you eventually want to start your career in after the scheme completes after 18-24 months. There are very senior people in the railway who started out in Graduate roles 15-20+ years ago. The initial salary isn't great, but often rises significantly after your first 'permanent' role. From my understanding the NR grad schemes can be highly personalised and you are encouraged to follow your interests and tailor your placements accordingly.

These positions are VERY competitive though - and I imagine even more so under current circumstances - so you'll need to be absolutely on point with your CV / cover letter etc.

PS: Regarding your questions
- All degrees especially for the General Management will be fine probably above a 2:1 is the minimum.
- Ability to work in a team, problem solving, communication skills, inter-personable skills etc.
- Too many roles to mention, but normally managing a team of 10-15.

That sounds great! I don't mind starting on a lower salary and working my way up as I think it will be worth it in the long run :) I like the idea of that, would be good to have more freedom to focus on aspects of the company which interest me.

How competitive? What things should I include that will make me stand out on my CV? And also do you know when the application deadline is? Sorry for all the questions!!
I'm currently on track for a 1:1 so I'm feeling more confident about my grades than anything else. I have worked in teams before but mainly in the retail sector.

Thank you again for the advice :)

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
That sounds great! I don't mind starting on a lower salary and working my way up as I think it will be worth it in the long run :) I like the idea of that, would be good to have more freedom to focus on aspects of the company which interest me.

How competitive? What things should I include that will make me stand out on my CV? And also do you know when the application deadline is? Sorry for all the questions!!
I'm currently on track for a 1:1 so I'm feeling more confident about my grades than anything else. I have worked in teams before but mainly in the retail sector.

Yes it very much is worth it, plus the experience you can gather is presumably invaluable. I wouldn't know for sure but hundreds of applicants per position wouldn't surprise me. A good mix of your academic, volunteer and work experience and anything that might "jump out" to a recruiter is worth putting in probably. I wouldn't know much more but this page will tell you more. 2020 appears already closed, but you can register for 2021. A first would put you in good stead, as will your retail experience (properly explained as to its relevance).

2021 applications are opening 6th October I have been told.

DM me your E-Mail address and i can send you some stuff for the CV.

My previous job was retail, you need to emphasise the safety aspects, teamwork, coping under pressure and communication to fit it for NR behaviours.

to be honest they are not too bothered about degree grades - as long as you have a 2:2 or above it is fine. NR is more interested in how you behave, think and how you would fit in with the culture. And passing any assessments they set you in the application process obviously

Last edited:

jackd92

Yes it very much is worth it, plus the experience you can gather is presumably invaluable. I wouldn't know for sure but hundreds of applicants per position wouldn't surprise me. A good mix of your academic, volunteer and work experience and anything that might "jump out" to a recruiter is worth putting in probably. I wouldn't know much more but this page will tell you more. 2020 appears already closed, but you can register for 2021. A first would put you in good stead, as will your retail experience (properly explained as to its relevance).

It sounds really great. Oh okay that's a lot of competition! Hope I stand a chance. I think I've got a bit of everything which is good. Was planning to apply for 2021, will make a start on writing a new CV! Thanks for the advise.

My previous job was retail, you need to emphasise the safety aspects, teamwork, coping under pressure and communication to fit it for NR behaviours.

to be honest they are not too bothered about degree grades - as long as you have a 2:2 or above it is fine. NR is more interested in how you behave, think and how you would fit in with the culture. And passing any assessments they set you in the application process obviously

That's good to hear! Gives me a bit of time to get everything sorted.

Thank you very much, I will :)

That's very helpful, I'll make sure to include that.

I had a feeling it would be like that, I can imagine they want to hire people that will stick around for a while and have the right personality. What are the tests like?

Cheers again!

jackd92

The applications opening in October, are those for just for June 2021 or September too?

Status
Not open for further replies.