• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail salary bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

TootTootToot

I’m an external and I’m trying to understand how the NR salary bands work.

The role profile quoted a salary which is the min and max of Zone one and as I understand it all newbies go into the matrix in zone one. That’s no problem at all.

However when I look further there are zones two and three? What are these.

The role in question appears to be in a Band 4 / Range B. So is it safe to say the scale for this role is £32,740 (min / starting zone 1) and a max of £48,384 (max zone 3)

So I guess you start somewhere in the zone 1 range and obtain (hopefully!) annual increments dependent on performance etc and work your way up the scale.

The mention of zones 2 and 3 has just confused my understanding slightly.

If anyone can shed some light on it I’d be grateful. Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TSG

I can't say I am an expert on this myself but I'll give you my limited understanding of it. Zone 1 accommodates new starters and internal hires coming from a jobs paid at or below zone 1.

Zone 2 (and theoretically Zone 3 I suppose) accommodates internal hires coming from jobs paid above Zone 1 (or exceptionally new hires where difficulty has been experienced recruiting for the role). Undertaking training/development activities, being assessed favourably against performance criteria and experience will drive salary progression through Zone 1 and 2.

I get the impression that progression slows in Zone 3 as you will have undertaken the development for the role; development will now be with a view to roles in the band above, performance needs to be maintained and to progress significantly you will need to look to those roles.

TootTootToot

TSG that is great. Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

It’s now a lot more clearer, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.