• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Additional Victoria-Rochdale's on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
From 18 February, we are introducing two additional Saturday evening services between Manchester Victoria and Rochdale.

The trains will leave Victoria at 19.55 and 20.55, with the return services from Rochdale at 20.25 and 21.25, providing a half-hourly service until late evening, when combined with the existing Calder Valley services.

Lee Wasnidge, Area Director West for Northern comments: “In the run up to Christmas we ran these additional Saturday services in order to meet the increased demand for shopping and entertainment. With an increase in the cost of motoring, more people want to travel by train as rail travel is great value for money and more environmentally friendly. We are delighted to be able to respond now by providing these extra services every Saturday for Greater Manchester.”

Councillor Andrew Fender, Chair of the Transport for Greater Manchester Committee, said: “By listening to local rail users and looking at service patterns, we could see a definite demand for more Saturday evening trains between Manchester and Rochdale.

“We’ll always try to work with operators like Northern to make sure that local communities can access the right services at the right times, and it’s great to see the new Manchester-Rochdale services on the timetable as a result. Trains aren't just for getting people to work – they connect people with leisure opportunities too. Regular Saturday evening services mean people can enjoy an evening out and leave the car at home.”

Richard Greenwood, Chairman of Rail User Group STORM said: "STORM is very pleased that Northern has found it possible to fill in two gaps in the Saturday evening service between Manchester and Rochdale by running extra trains. Over the past three years Northern has made great strides in filling these gaps which is of great benefit to the travelling public."

http://www.northernrail.org/news/6973

They should have been brought in when they introduced the 1955 and 2055 Rochdale's M-F back in 2010. I regularly work the 2021 Leeds on Saturday, and the amount of times that I've had to turn people away from that one, with a good 15 mins to go, was incredible.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anvil1984

Established Member
About time, I work the 1921 Man Vic - Leeds (all stops) and its wedged even with 155+153

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
http://www.northernrail.org/news/6973

They should have been brought in when they introduced the 1955 and 2055 Rochdale's M-F back in 2010. I regularly work the 2021 Leeds on Saturday, and the amount of times that I've had to turn people away from that one, with a good 15 mins to go, was incredible.

Indeed, some friends of mine were slightly displeased the other week when they turned up to catch the 2021 back to Hebden Bridge and got there 10 mins before departure and found the doors locked, the train full to bursting, and the station security turning away potential passengers - telling them to come back in an hour. Which they did, and that was exactly the same - although they weren't left behind that time - some other people were.

Established Member
Indeed, some friends of mine were slightly displeased the other week when they turned up to catch the 2021 back to Hebden Bridge and got there 10 mins before departure and found the doors locked, the train full to bursting, and the station security turning away potential passengers - telling them to come back in an hour. Which they did, and that was exactly the same - although they weren't left behind that time - some other people were.

Exactly, its a chronic service, and its one I used to despise working, But now, HOPEFULLY, it won't be as bad. More advertising should be done asap about these new services. It took weeks for people to realize that they were running M-F when they were 1st introduced!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That is good news ! I feel quite vindicated having whinged about the 20:21 on a couple of occasions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.