• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Adlestrop Railway Atlas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Well that was a lot faster than I expected! Congratulations on including Manchester Airport this time. I expect closed lines in the Newcastle area are the reason for its omission. Will the next update be a smaller one to complete England before moving onto Scotland?
I have no idea! See how it goes. Closed lines aren't actually going to be the particularly time-consuming bit around Newcastle: there are countless waggonways and mineral lines, but I generally don't show them anyway because this is ultimately a passenger railway map. It's more the Metro that will be the faff - fiddly to weave it in and out of the other lines in such a dense area.

Fantastic!

Wenhaston is still missing on the closed line between Halesworth and Blythburgh though :lol:
Just added that to my working copy, thanks. I've put something on the page asking people to email me corrections with the word "Adlestrop" in the email somewhere as otherwise it's impossible to keep track of them. I occasionally get emails about "your map"... that really doesn't narrow it down, I'm a cartographer and I have hundreds of maps. ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I have no idea! See how it goes. Closed lines aren't actually going to be the particularly time-consuming bit around Newcastle: there are countless waggonways and mineral lines, but I generally don't show them anyway because this is ultimately a passenger railway map. It's more the Metro that will be the faff - fiddly to weave it in and out of the other lines in such a dense area.
I thought the Newcastle area wasn’t particularly dense with operational lines but is dense with closed. There’s no real rush to sort out the north east because it will need updating for the reopening of the Newcastle, Ashington, Blyth and Tyne line in a few years. Similarly with the area around East - West Rail. It’s not known exactly how it will end up.

The update couldn’t have come at a better time. I’m glad to see the Halton Curve and Exeter - Okehampton shown open to passengers with Sampford Courtenay closed, as well as new stations such as Kenilworth, Bow Street and even Soham, however I do have some very small corrections. The Olive Mount Chord between Edge Lane and Wavertree Technology Park is shown as closed when in fact it reopened to goods in 2008 and is quite heavily used to avoid reversals at Edge Hill and the avoiding curve at Southport is shown open to goods when the trackbed has been sold off and is now used to park old BMWs. Parallel to it is an electrified siding, but this was always a distinct siding when the curve itself was still extant and was not simply formed by severing the curve. Other than this I find everything to be generally correct.

What are your hundreds of other maps? I may find some of them interesting.

Dunnyrail

Likewise, I was just looking for something completely unrelated on my iPad and found I had not got a copy on here! So when I dowloaded to my Pdf App I was most pleased to see that you now go north of York. Many many thanks for the most usable map on a device.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Freshly updated!

It now includes the north-east... which means England is complete. Newcastle was indeed entertaining to work on but I've tried, as ever, to reach a balance between completeness and legibility.

There's a few lines in the Borders and Dumfries & Galloway too. Plus corrections/updates across the rest of the country.

Dunnyrail

My thanks too, the only map worth it‘s name on any device. I keep a copy on my iPhone, so useful when out and about. Ability to zoom in cannot be praised highly enough. Just Scotland to go, I imagine Glasgow will also be an interesting challenge for you.

alxndr

Established Member
Fantastic to see. Look forward to Scotland when you get there, but greatly appreciate all the work you’ve done so far.

the sniper

Established Member
Thanks for highlighting this and thanks again to @Doctor Fegg!

(This was subject to a thread merge, for context. ;))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.