• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

new book - Britain's 100 best railway stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetheguard

Established Member
I've just noticed that author Simon Jenkins has a new weighty tome out, following on from his books about houses and churches.

"Britain's 100 best railway stations" is out on 28th September, and presumably all about the best railway architecture.

Hopefully as well as famous stations like London St. Pancras, Newcastle Central, & Bristol Temple Meads, it'll find space for some smaller gems too. I'd thinking of perhaps: Kemble; Great Malvern; or Grange over Sands. Anyway, looks like Wemyss Bay is on the cover. I'm sure we've all got favourites we could add to that list of great station architecture.........

The book's not cheap, but definitely on my Christmas wish list!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DuncanS

Scotrail were bumming up the Scottish stations in the book last week on their website.

The Scottish stations included in the top 100 are:
Aviemore
Edinburgh Waverley
Glasgow Central
Gleneagles
Glenfinnan
Pitlochry
Perth
Rannoch
Stirling
Wemyss Bay

Some "interesting" ones on there for up here.

Hornet

I see the author mentioned the Station in my old home town, and described it as a Loire Chateaux. A French influenced architectural gem in a sea of sh*te. At least it was spared the Town Planners equivalent of Betjeman 'bombs'. (Can you guess where it is yet)?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I see the author mentioned the Station in my old home town, and described it as a Loire Chateaux. A French influenced architectural gem in a sea of sh*te. At least it was spared the Town Planners equivalent of Betjeman 'bombs'. (Can you guess where it is yet)?

Must be Slough? :lol:

Ash Bridge

Established Member

Merci! btw you won't find me making any disparaging remarks about Slough coming as I do from another town about 200 miles further North also beginning with S, and which has also had plenty of bad press over recent years much of it justified. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.