• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New build projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Phil

Established Member
What effect has covid-19 had on new build locos
It would seem to be variable - some in large "commercial" workshops have made significant progress eg Clan, P2. Others, which depend upon more volunteers, have slowed, but work may have been done at home in many cases.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Didn't one of the more prominent projects dissolve a few months back? Can't recall which one, the Manchester United B-17 perhaps?

Flying Phil

Established Member
Yes the "Other" B 17 project effectively folded itself and donated its only real asset (- a B17 tender) to the "Spirit of Sandringham" B17 group. It was only really creating a B 17 "outline"........ unless a footballer wanted to spend a months salary on a proper locomotive??

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yes the "Other" B 17 project effectively folded itself and donated its only real asset (- a B17 tender) to the "Spirit of Sandringham B17 group. It was only really creating a B 17 "outline"........ unless a footballer wanted to spend a months salary on a proper locomotive??
I'm just glad it won't have the name of that team of glory hunters from London and beyond... one of the few things that Leeds United supporters and I will agree on!

AHoseason

It has slowed down work in our workshop, but we are ploughing ahead at LMS10000 with our re-creation. Got a whole load of innards for the Spanner steam boiler recently. currently working toward certification of the brake system plans. www/lms10000.co.uk

SeanG

I'm just glad it won't have the name of that team of glory hunters from London and beyond... one of the few things that Leeds United supporters and I will agree on!
That's the problem with a football related name. Whilst I would support such a project, as a Middlesbrough fan I wouldn't give as much support to a loco named after Newcastle or Sunderland football clubs as I would lend to one named after another club which means nothing to me.
It's a weird world

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That's the problem with a football related name. Whilst I would support such a project, as a Middlesbrough fan I wouldn't give as much support to a loco named after Newcastle or Sunderland football clubs as I would lend to one named after another club which means nothing to me.
It's a weird world
My "Speculative Ideas" solution would be to rotate the name. The loco carries the name of either the league champions or the FA Cup holders for that season. :idea:

Flying Phil

Established Member
The 567 Victorian 4-4-0 Newbuild has had its four bogie wheels cast, tyres obtained and axles machined....all quite probably assembled now.

Alan Warren

The B17 Spirit of Sandringham project has just received the hornblock castings from William Cook of Sheffield (along with 2 spares)

Attachments

• Hornblock_Castings (1).jpg
    Hornblock_Castings (1).jpg
    109 KB · Views: 23
  • Hornblock_Castings (4).jpg
    Hornblock_Castings (4).jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 23

Flying Phil

Established Member
Is there a list anywhere of all the New Build Projects, please?
There was a "Newbuild steam" website but it has not been updated since 2019. There were a couple of "Steam Railway" magazine articles about 15 months ago which looked at all the projects.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
There was a "Newbuild steam" website but it has not been updated since 2019. There were a couple of "Steam Railway" magazine articles about 15 months ago which looked at all the projects.

Thanks; I've had a look at the web site you mention and, as you say, the last update was in December 2019.

It also says that it was to be the last issue as it was to be replaced by a new web site ("New Build UK"), but I can't find this anywhere, so it's possible that it didn't happen.

I've had a look at the last issue the latter, though, and it's plain to see that there are a lot of new build projects at various stages. I've counted at least a dozen, covering all the "Big Four" companies or their forerunners and British Railways. This is impressive ... but will they all be finished? That's for others to say, but there's a few that (as a GWR enthusiast) I certainly hope are completed.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
There was an inspiring story some years ago, in Steam Railway maybe, some teenage lads planning to build an engine in a couple of decades

Flying Phil

Established Member
Well the Steam Railway magazine looked in fair detail at each one of the projects and there were about 5 which could be finished within the next couple of years (pre covid!) Another five within 5-10 years. Then about 5 in 10 to 15 years. The remainder, about 5, were basically unlikely dreams. They looked at the rate of fundraising vs projected spend and the expertise of the teams involved.
The P2, Beachy Head, 3MT tank, Clan and Patriot were in the first group from memory.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
There was an inspiring story some years ago, in Steam Railway maybe, some teenage lads planning to build an engine in a couple of decades

What were they hoping to build - and, more importantly, how were they going to pay for it?

Well the Steam Railway magazine looked in fair detail at each one of the projects and there were about 5 which could be finished within the next couple of years (pre covid!) Another five within 5-10 years. Then about 5 in 10 to 15 years. The remainder, about 5, were basically unlikely dreams. They looked at the rate of fundraising vs projected spend and the expertise of the teams involved.
The P2, Beachy Head, 3MT tank, Clan and Patriot were in the first group from memory.

Yes, I think that these were all fairly well along the road in December 2019, plus the Grange and one or two others - although I can't remember which ones!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I think it was a J39 0-6-0.

Mr W Pedia says: "None have survived to preservation but there are plans to build a replica of an LNER J39 (BR 64960) along with a J38, for preservation in a few years to come", but there's no other information on it.

alexl92

Established Member
I think the Doncaster P2 & 77014 were two of the 'no-hopers'. I do remember reading that issue of SR tho so will have to look it out!

Aictos

Established Member
My "Speculative Ideas" solution would be to rotate the name. The loco carries the name of either the league champions or the FA Cup holders for that season. :idea:
Which it will always be either Manchester United/City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea or Tottenham as the big six dominate English football with other clubs having little to no chance of having their club name on the loco.

Could always name it after the sponsor I guess, a loco called BT Sport anyone?

It's a weird world

Even the LNER stopped "supporting" Newcastle, as they changed the Locomotive's name to the Essex Regimento_O!

kje7812

The Patriot had been hit by several engineering setbacks, namely to do with the driving wheels which need a lot attention, and they are trying to reclaim costs from Llangollen

alexl92

Established Member
I think the Doncaster P2 & 77014 were two of the 'no-hopers'. I do remember reading that issue of SR tho so will have to look it out!
Yeah, it was. Shame about 77014, don’t think it really ever had a chance but it would complete theStandard Class lineup.

Donny P2 got as far as cutting frames but was never going to make any meaningful progress.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
How about the diesel new builds/recreations like the 22 and 23?

I don’t think personally that the 22 (or 63xx in old money) will ever get off the ground. But the class 23 project is definitely looking good for completion and they’re doing a very good professional job on that loco.
I’m really looking forward to having a run behind it in the hopefully not too near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.