• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Chingfinder tours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galvanize

THE ANDOVER FIST

Saturday 25 October, 2008

AN EASY DAY ‘SPINNER’ FEATURING FIVE LOCOS, MAIN LINES, SECONDARY LINES, FREIGHT LINES, WATERLOO INTERNATIONAL* AND MORE

ROUTE AND TRACTION DETAILS

GBRf Class 66/7 - Clapham Junction – Staines – Ascot – Wokingham – Reading – Newbury – Heywood Road Jct. – Westbury Down Reception – East Somerset Jct. – Merehead Quarry Jct. – WHITES CROSSING SIDING / MEREHEAD RAIL TERMINAL – Whites Crossing Siding / Westbury Down Reception – SALISBURY.

EWS Class 60 – WHITES CROSSING SIDING - MEREHEAD RAIL TERMINAL DEPARTURE LINES / Whites Crossing Siding – Westbury Down Reception / Andover – LUDGERSHALL (Network Rail Limit).

GBRf Class 73 x 2 – Salisbury – Andover / Ludgershall – Andover – Basingstoke – Woking – Surbiton – Wimbledon –Clapham Junction – WATERLOO INTERNATIONAL*.

EWS CLASS 66 – Waterloo International – Nine Elms Jct. – Linford Street Jct. – Factory Jct. – Herne Hill – Balham – Clapham Junction.

* Access to the International platforms at London Waterloo is agreed in principle but subject to confirmation.

It had originally been intended that this tour should visit the Whatley Quarry branch, but this is no longer possible due to engineering works on this and other weekends during the Autumn.

THE INDUSTRIOUS TRADER

Saturday 15 November, 2008

2 x EWS Class 37s from the pick-up points via Solihull to Birmingham New Street, then Soho South Jct. and Perry Barr South Jct. to Birmingham International, and in the evening from Birmingham International via Coventry back to Reading.

2 x EWS Class 37s 'top-and-tail'

Birmingham International - Coventry (reverse) - Three Spires Jct. - PROLOGIS PARK* (reverse) - Three Spires Jct. - Coventry - Leamington Spa (reverse) - Dorridge - Tyseley South Junction - Small Heath Up & Down Goods - Birmingham Moor Street - Old Hill - Stourbridge Junction (reverse) - ROUND OAK (reverse) – Stourbridge Junction (reverse) – Old Hill - Galton Jct. – Soho South Jct. - Perry Barr North Jct. - Newton Jct. -Bescot Yard Up & Down Goods - Bushbury Jct. - Stafford Up & Down Goods - SALOP BRANCH SIDINGS (reverse) - Stafford - Bushbury Jct. - Oxley Chord - Oxley Jct. - Madeley Jct. - IRONBRIDGE BRANCH (reverse at Network Rail Limit) - Madeley Jct. - Wolverhampton - Darlaston Jct. - Walsall - Sutton Park Line - Park Lane Jct. - Landor Street Jct. - Camp Hill - Lifford Curve - Selly Oak - Birmingham New Street - Birmingham International.

THE LANCS LINKS

Saturday 13 December, 2008

GOING FOR A 'SPIN' ON MAIN LINES, SECONDARY LINES AND BRANCHES - WITH LOTS OF LOCOS - AND A BREAK AT SOUTHPORT!

EWS CLASS 59/2 - As per the joining points to Birmingham Int.

EWS CLASS 92 - Birmingham Int. – Stechford – Aston – Perry Barr North Jct. – Bescot - Bushbury Jct. - Stafford - Crewe Basford Hall Yard.

FREIGHTLINER CLASS 66 - Crewe Basford Hall Yard – Down Independent Line - Warrington Bank Quay – Winwick Jct. – Earlestown - Bamfurlong Jct. - Low Level Goods Lines - Wigan South Jct. - Wigan Wallgate - Hoscar - SOUTHPORT (break).

EWS CLASS 60 - Southport - Wigan Wallgate – Westhoughton - Bolton - Manchester Vic. - Ashton Moss North Jct. - Denton Jct. - Stockport - Altrincham - Northwich - Middlewich - Sandbach - Sydney Bridge Jct. – Salop Goods Jct. – Gresty Lane Jct.

FREIGHTLINER CLASS 86/6 or 90 - Gresty Lane Jct. – Gresty Lane Curve - Stafford – Bushbury Jct. – Bescot – Perry Barr North Jct – Soho South Jct – Birmingham New Street (non-stop?) - Birmingham International.

EWS CLASS 59/2 – As per the set-down points back to Ealing Broadway.

This tour is expected to feature the Gricer’s Grill catering service!!

THE GREAT EASTERN WESTERN

Saturday 20 December, 2008

EWS CLASS 67 - Swindon - to Reading - Acton Main Line, then via the North London line to London Liverpool Street and return.

D1015 Western Champion - London Liverpool Street - Cheshunt - Harlow Town - Audley End - Cambridge - Ely - Thetford - Wensum Curve - Brundall - Acle - GREAT YARMOUTH (run-round) - Berney Arms - Reedham - Brundall - NORWICH (run-round) - Diss - Ipswich - Colchester - Shenfield - Stratford - London Liverpool Street.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I like the sound of the November 15th tour and the Christmas spin and win. Pity the latter will clash with the 508 tour.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Loco haulage to Southport is quite a funky idea too on that later on.

37s around the Midlands doing a lot of track I need, job done. Gotta be done. Day off will be arranged.

Established Member
Loco haulage to Southport is quite a funky idea too on that later on.

37s around the Midlands doing a lot of track I need, job done. Gotta be done. Day off will be arranged.

Had a look through the routing earlier while bored, providing standard is leading out of Reading on the morning it will lead up Old Hill and on the climb out of Ironbridge and all the way back to Reading, hopefully they will put it that way round!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Had a look through the routing earlier while bored, providing standard is leading out of Reading on the morning it will lead up Old Hill and on the climb out of Ironbridge and all the way back to Reading, hopefully they will put it that way round!

Indeed, if Standard is leading up Old Hill it'll be bloody hellfire!<D<D<D

Watch as First is leading on the end we want to be at though...

theblackwatch: That must have been a fair while ago! I don't know when a railtour last went to Southport, but it's a funky idea for those of us who started bashing in more recent years.

Another couple of tours to aid the Chingfinder staff christmas party fund I see. :rolleyes:

Established Member
Another couple of tours to aid the Chingfinder staff christmas party fund I see. :rolleyes:

Well with all the cancellations they need some. Still after having your fix in Scotland you won't need to do these will you?

theblackwatch

Established Member
Last Man Vic - Southport club trains with 37's were in 94 weren't they?

Not sure when they finished, but the last one I had there was in March 95. Big Malcolm of RTNW ran a couple of day trips from Southport to Edinburgh using 37s in 98/99.

Well with all the cancellations they need some. Still after having your fix in Scotland you won't need to do these will you?
Your right, probably won't be doing it. The track won't be that hard to get either in about a year's time and will be a damn sight cheaper...

Established Member
Your right, probably won't be doing it. The track won't be that hard to get either in about a year's time and will be a damn sight cheaper...

A single up Old Hill and out of Ironbridge sounds good to me.

Established Member
Spending money 'Andover Fist! :lol:

Coat, taxi, door...

2 x 66, a 60 and a pair of 73's on a shortish (in railtour terms) day out for a high price, not my idea of money well spent, you could have a weekend away and do a Spitfire tour and pay for accomadation with that much!

JoshW1992

Established Member
2 x 66, a 60 and a pair of 73's on a shortish (in railtour terms) day out for a high price, not my idea of money well spent, you could have a weekend away and do a Spitfire tour and pay for accomadation with that much!

Ah, but I'm still on £40 tickets :grin:

Even then... thats really expensive.

Established Member

Or just have a big session or two down the pub and not get shafted with a complete lack of what you have paid for....

Tom C

Not sure when they finished, but the last one I had there was in March 95

I seem to remember they finished around May of 1995.

Best place for haulage on the clubs was definately Blackpool North, had 31's and 37's running virtually all day to Manchester and Liverpool.

I remember a big deal was made out of 31432 as it was one of the last (if not THE last) loco to still wear BR Blue and still haul passenger trains regularly

Status
Not open for further replies.